Author Topic: Genos as a standalone band instrument  (Read 2392 times)

Genos as a standalone band instrument
« on: December 08, 2023, 02:25:02 PM »
Hi all,

Everyone knows that the Genos can be played two ways: As a full arranger on its own OR as a band instrument with live musicians. One group I belong to is called The Offbeats. I joined them two years ago. We play Rock, Soul, and a touch of Country. I replaced their former keyboardist. They have me, a bass player, lead guitar, and drummer. All three of those guys also do vocals. I don't.

We recently recorded nine songs in a professional studio. I used my Genos for piano, e.piano, brass, saxophone, B3 organ, accordion, 12-string guitar, and strings. I just wanted you to hear what the Genos can do in a live band environment. Of course, the songs are in English and may not mean much to those who don't speak the language but you can still hear what the Genos can do beyond being a great arranger. The page link is below. There are also pictures of the session on the Photos page. I created the website as well ;D. Enjoy!

https://www.theoffbeats.ca/music.htm

- Lee
« Last Edit: December 08, 2023, 02:27:20 PM by Lee Batchelor »
"Learn" your music correctly, then "practice" it. Don't practice mistakes because you'll learn them.

The following users thanked this post: porterma, RobertM, maxb

Offline BogdanH

Re: Genos as a standalone band instrument
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2023, 02:48:31 PM »
Sincere compliments Lee! -I can imagine you had a lot of fun  :)

Bogdan
PSR-SX700 on K&M-18820 stand
Playing for myself on Youtube

« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2023, 03:22:51 PM »
Thanks, Bogdan :). It was a fun three days of "not" work.
"Learn" your music correctly, then "practice" it. Don't practice mistakes because you'll learn them.

Offline mikf

« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2023, 03:38:58 PM »
Lee, sure you had fun. But it always surprised me when in a studio recording how long everything took. Trouble is that the little imperfections that don’t normally get noticed in live play, seem to stand out. So you spend time re-doing stuff. But everything sounded good.
 My brother had his own beautiful studio and used to spend weeks doing and redoing just one song. Of course he played all the instrument parts himself separately, so that took time.
Using the arranger simply as a normal keyboard, no accompaniment, works perfectly of course, and it’s got excellent sounds for that.
Mike

« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2023, 03:57:01 PM »
Fully agreed, Mike and thanks.

I've done a lot of recording and can always find ways to improve on things :o. Some of my phrasing was too legato and not enough staccato, but there comes a time where you must cut it lose and let her fly! The Genos is a great all around keyboard for this type of work and live stage playing as an arranger. I thought of buying the new Yamaha MONTAGE M7 but the learning curve would be enormous and I don't think for this type of work, I'd gain anything.

Offline mikf

« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2023, 04:14:03 PM »
Agree you would not gain anything. Arguably some pure synths have better sounds, and sound control, but it’s marginal difference at best. I would not recommend an arranger if you never use accompaniment functions, because there are lighter, more economic options available in synths. But if you need both a band instrument and a OMB instrument, Genos is a pretty versatile and high quality option.
Mike

Offline PhotoDoc05

« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2023, 04:25:58 PM »
Lee, my compliments to you and your band, sounds great!

I found the band's videos even more interesting, to see the keyboardist playing.
Although I'm guessing that was the previous guy playing on a Roland? ;D

I've wondered for a while if anyone used an Arranger in a band setting, because all you normally see
is someone playing synths.  Thanks for the demos, and good luck to your band.
Regards,  Jerry
"All journeys have secret destinations of which the traveler is unaware."—Martin Buber

Offline andyg

« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2023, 04:52:46 PM »
One of yesterday's lessons was with a student who uses Tyros 4 for band work. He has a Hammond keyboard, but the rest of the band love what he's able to do with the T4 thus far, and we've really only just started.

The other plus for him is that he can use a style to record a MIDI song as a pseudo backing band to let him work out and practice his parts and how he's going to introduce all the extra sounds that his Hammond (wonderful for Hammond sounds of course but not so great at other voices) couldn't do. We've been working on listening to the originals, working out the instrumental solos, string orchestration and so on!

Sounds like that's what you've been doing, but with an even better keyboard!  :D
It's not what you play, it's not how you play. It's the fact that you're playing that counts.

www.andrew-gilbert.com

Offline pedro_pedroc

« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2023, 05:29:25 PM »
Well.

I play genos alone. Check my channel.

However, I played in a Pink Floyd cover band some years ago, and I used a lot for that background atmosphere, lot of pads, organ, piano and epiano, strings, sax, choir, and a lot of synths (like shine on you crazy diamond).
I also used some free styles, like etherealmovie, etherealvoices, and another pad, dark, choir …

Well. Genos is a great instrument.

Pedro

« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2023, 06:00:02 PM »
Lee, my compliments to you and your band, sounds great!

I found the band's videos even more interesting, to see the keyboardist playing.
Although I'm guessing that was the previous guy playing on a Roland? ;D

I've wondered for a while if anyone used an Arranger in a band setting, because all you normally see
is someone playing synths.  Thanks for the demos, and good luck to your band.
Regards,  Jerry
Thanks, Jerry. Yes, that is Richard featured in those videos. He became very busy playing in Toronto and had to quit the band. I took over two years ago this month.

Offline pjd

« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2023, 06:00:21 PM »
but there comes a time where you must cut it lose and let her fly!

Hi Lee --

Thanks for sharing your work. Sounds great!

As to letting fly, that's kind of Macartney's approach. Live in the moment and don't squeeze the life out of the music.

Thanks, again -- pj

« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2023, 06:01:49 PM »
One of yesterday's lessons was with a student who uses Tyros 4 for band work. He has a Hammond keyboard, but the rest of the band love what he's able to do with the T4 thus far, and we've really only just started.

The other plus for him is that he can use a style to record a MIDI song as a pseudo backing band to let him work out and practice his parts and how he's going to introduce all the extra sounds that his Hammond (wonderful for Hammond sounds of course but not so great at other voices) couldn't do. We've been working on listening to the originals, working out the instrumental solos, string orchestration and so on!

Sounds like that's what you've been doing, but with an even better keyboard!  :D
Thanks, Andy. I do the same thing with my Genos. I do a rough backing track to learn my parts. It's a VERY handy tool indeed!

« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2023, 06:03:42 PM »
Well.

I play genos alone. Check my channel.

However, I played in a Pink Floyd cover band some years ago, and I used a lot for that background atmosphere, lot of pads, organ, piano and epiano, strings, sax, choir, and a lot of synths (like shine on you crazy diamond).
I also used some free styles, like etherealmovie, etherealvoices, and another pad, dark, choir …

Well. Genos is a great instrument.

Pedro
Thanks for chiming in, Pedro! I'd love to hear what you provide to your band. I never thought of using the Free Play styles! I must look into that.

« Reply #13 on: December 08, 2023, 06:05:51 PM »
Hi Lee --

Thanks for sharing your work. Sounds great!

As to letting fly, that's kind of MaCartney's approach. Live in the moment and don't squeeze the life out of the music.

Thanks, again -- pj
Thanks, PJ. Good point and agreed that the pursuit of perfection can work against us as well ;D!

« Reply #14 on: December 08, 2023, 09:00:20 PM »
Hi Lee, sounds like you and the band had a good time. Music sounded great, if I was closer I would definitely come and listen.  :)

Genos2, Montage M6, Maschine Micro NI, Cubase 13, Komplete 14 Ultimate, Arturia Analog Lab, HALion7, Groove Agent 5, HS8 Speakers.

Online Amwilburn

« Reply #15 on: December 08, 2023, 09:31:02 PM »
Lee, you guys sound *great*!!! I'm Impressed!

Mark

« Reply #16 on: December 08, 2023, 10:14:12 PM »
Hi Lee, sounds like you and the band had a good time. Music sounded great, if I was closer I would definitely come and listen.  :)
Thanks, Christopher. It was hard work but we had fun at the same time. It's nice to record what we play on the live stage. One thing I forgot to mention in my original post is, all parts you hear on these tracks are played live just like on the recording. This is made possible with the Genos split points, registrations, and a boatload of practicing!

« Reply #17 on: December 08, 2023, 10:15:15 PM »
Lee, you guys sound *great*!!! I'm Impressed!

Mark
Thanks, Mark. It means a lot to me ;)! We had fun.

« Reply #18 on: December 10, 2023, 09:56:47 AM »
Dear Lee,

very, very interesting post, showing surprisingly an unusual skill with our wonderful Genos.

I had two bands, when I was 18-22, and 42-46. At the time of the second band (5 peoples including me as a keyboardist and another guy playing piano) I had at home excellent Technics and Korg arrangers, but I decided that would have been better a setup with Roland D50 and Korg M1, that have been real benchmarks for long time. And that worked very well.

So, I was really amazed by listening to what you can do with Genos. The band plays nicely, and the Genos parts are very well balanced and with appropriate sounds (Voices). You certainly have good taste and techniques.

I wish I could come and spend a night to enjoy your band performance. But Roma is quite far....

All the best to you and your band. Congratulations!

Ciao,

Angelo

Yamaha Genos, Clavinova Cvp309PE, Hs-8, Hammond Xm2.
Past: Farfisa Minicompact, CompactDeLuxe; Elkarapsody; Hammond L122R&Leslie142; CasioCz1000; Roland D50, E20, ProE, Juno106, JX8P, Ra90; Technics Kn800, 1000, 2000; Korg M1, i3, i30, Pa1x, Pa3x; others.

Offline ugawoga

« Reply #19 on: December 10, 2023, 09:34:23 PM »
Hi Lee

You and the Band sound great. The singer is great as well
I went for the Genos 2 and loving it ,but it is back to eq-ing the machine again which i think is nearly how i want it.
Since the Genos 2 has onboard Interface it is so much easier to work in Cubase 13 with it.
Now found a way of playing VST's and styles without any crossovers.
Because it is internal and with usb,a lot easier, but i still prefer my Focusrite external.
Just think of playing VST on the Genos, it opens up another universe.
With the HDMI  sheet music a breeze on a large monitor with an airturn.

All the Best
John
Genos, I7 computer 32 gig ram, Focusrite 6i6, Cubase controller, Focal Alpha Monitors, Yamaha DXR8 Speakers
Cubase 10, Sonarworks, Izotope.  Sampletank, Arturia and Korg software.  Now IK Mixbox

« Reply #20 on: December 17, 2023, 02:19:15 PM »
Dear Lee,

very, very interesting post, showing surprisingly an unusual skill with our wonderful Genos.

I had two bands, when I was 18-22, and 42-46. At the time of the second band (5 peoples including me as a keyboardist and another guy playing piano) I had at home excellent Technics and Korg arrangers, but I decided that would have been better a setup with Roland D50 and Korg M1, that have been real benchmarks for long time. And that worked very well.

So, I was really amazed by listening to what you can do with Genos. The band plays nicely, and the Genos parts are very well balanced and with appropriate sounds (Voices). You certainly have good taste and techniques.

I wish I could come and spend a night to enjoy your band performance. But Roma is quite far....

All the best to you and your band. Congratulations!

Ciao,

Angelo
Hi Angelo. Sorry for the late reply. We just got back form holidays. Thanks for the compliment on our album. The Genos makes those parts easy to play after you establish the proper techniques ;D. Your previous keyboards are all icons. I had an M1 and my friend had the Technics. I always liked his arranger better than my Tyros 2! I really wish they had stayed in the business.

The following users thanked this post: MadrasGiaguari

« Reply #21 on: December 17, 2023, 02:21:12 PM »
Hi Lee

You and the Band sound great. The singer is great as well
I went for the Genos 2 and loving it ,but it is back to eq-ing the machine again which i think is nearly how i want it.
Since the Genos 2 has onboard Interface it is so much easier to work in Cubase 13 with it.
Now found a way of playing VST's and styles without any crossovers.
Because it is internal and with usb,a lot easier, but i still prefer my Focusrite external.
Just think of playing VST on the Genos, it opens up another universe.
With the HDMI  sheet music a breeze on a large monitor with an airturn.

All the Best
John
Thanks, John. I'm glad to hear Yamaha made DAW integration easier. And VST voices?! That's a major leap forward for studio work. It's possible with Genos 1 but you need to be a circus acrobat to achieve anything >:(.

Offline Danny1972

« Reply #22 on: December 17, 2023, 07:11:52 PM »
Really enjoyed listening to those tracks Lee, awesome stuff, thanks for sharing  :)

Offline Michael Trigoboff

« Reply #23 on: December 17, 2023, 07:45:11 PM »
Fully agreed, Mike and thanks.

I've done a lot of recording and can always find ways to improve on things :o. Some of my phrasing was too legato and not enough staccato, but there comes a time where you must cut it lose and let her fly! The Genos is a great all around keyboard for this type of work and live stage playing as an arranger. I thought of buying the new Yamaha MONTAGE M7 but the learning curve would be enormous and I don't think for this type of work, I'd gain anything.

And a former owner, I think that the main point of owning a Montage is if you want to create sounds that no other human has ever heard before. If you don’t want to do that, most of its unique capabilities will be wasted on you.
retired software developer and Computer Science instructor
Grateful Deadhead emeritus

"He had decided to live forever or die in the attempt."
-- Joseph Heller, Catch-22

« Reply #24 on: December 17, 2023, 09:07:55 PM »
And a former owner, I think that the main point of owning a Montage is if you want to create sounds that no other human has ever heard before. If you don’t want to do that, most of its unique capabilities will be wasted on you.
Thanks, Michael and fully agreed. The Montage keyboards are stellar but despite some of the common voice shortfalls of the Genos primary instruments (piano, e.piano, and B3), I'm delighted I can use it for band and arranger work. My bandmates are happy with the sounds ;).

« Reply #25 on: December 17, 2023, 09:08:39 PM »
Really enjoyed listening to those tracks Lee, awesome stuff, thanks for sharing  :)
Thanks, Danny!

Offline Danny1972

« Reply #26 on: December 17, 2023, 09:39:09 PM »

Offline jimlaing

« Reply #27 on: December 26, 2023, 10:10:23 AM »
Good topic ... I too have used Genos (and prior, Tyros) in a band situation ... for my solo and duo gigs, I use Styles and such ... with my full (5pc) band, I use Genos without using the Styles.  Having the great horns, woodwinds, as well as keyboard staples such as E-pianos and pianos, etc., all work well in a band situation.  I've thought about having a synth/workstation such as a Nord or Montage for band use - but that would mean having to set up an entirely new (to me) keyboard for my band gigs.  So Genos suffices well for both gigs where I want to use Styles, and gigs where I'm playing with a full band.

The main thing I add is the IK Multimedia B-3X since the Genos 'organ flutes' don't cut it for doing Hammond / B3 sounds with my band.  The B-3X does GREAT for that, and I just MIDI keyboard to an iPad mini to accomplish that.

-Jim
« Last Edit: December 26, 2023, 10:12:01 AM by jimlaing »
Raleigh, NC, USA / Genos / Tyros5-61 / Lucas Nana 600 / other stuff

« Reply #28 on: December 26, 2023, 01:41:00 PM »
Thanks for the info and pics, Jim.

I'm using an Android for my chord charts and I don't believe IK Multimedia is supported. The B3s, e.pianos, and pianos are "semi-okay" in a band situation since the output is mono through the mains...but for a $7,000 keyboard, they're still pretty poor. I should see if IK Multimedia has been adapted for the Android.