Author Topic: Main variations and reg memory  (Read 1218 times)

Offline maarkr

Main variations and reg memory
« on: December 07, 2023, 05:51:12 PM »
4 main variations and 8 reg memories... if I have a style using the 4 variations, 4 reg mems and want to change some of the variations and assign them to the next 4 reg memories, can I do that without affecting the original vars? 
ie, main var A  in reg mem1, edit mvar A with stronger drums and voice and save in reg mem 5 but still retain mem 1 sounds? or change the style creator assembly for main A saved in reg mem 1 to a different style/variation and save in reg mem 5 without affecting the assignments in reg mem 1?
aka Gene Maarkr. PSR-SX900, FA-06, PX-5S, Yamaha drums, Epi Les Paul, Yamaha bass, Studio One DAW w Waves, NI, IKM, iZotope.

Offline Lacko

Re: Main variations and reg memory
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2023, 06:04:00 PM »
4 main variations and 8 reg memories... if I have a style using the 4 variations, 4 reg mems and want to change some of the variations and assign them to the next 4 reg memories, can I do that without affecting the original vars? 
Yes. Every setting you change and save into registration memory, is saved only in that registration memory and nowhere else.

Offline BogdanH

« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2023, 07:13:40 PM »
ie, main var A  in reg mem1, edit mvar A with stronger drums and voice and save in reg mem 5 but still retain mem 1 sounds?..
Here you need to be more specific, or you will probably get wrong answer.

That is, what exactly in style do you modify to get "stronger drums"? If you only increase volume of the drums track (for mem 5), then yes, registration mem1 will keep it's previous drums loudness.
However, if you change (increase) velocities in drum track for mem 5 (which actually makes drums "stronger"), then that will also change the result in mem 1. If you wish to keep mem 1 as it is, you need to make a copy of the style, change velocities and use resulting modified style in mem 5.

But.. why don't you simply try it?.. I mean, I could be wrong..   ???

Bogdan
PSR-SX700 on K&M-18820 stand
Playing for myself on Youtube

Offline maarkr

« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2023, 07:42:16 PM »
thanks, I know I should just try things first, but I'm frustrated with being new to this keyboard, building a new style and having so many things not work as I thought it should... then coming up with many other questions that may be easier for me to ask than to try it out.

It's often difficult conveying concepts on a forum.  You're saying if I want to add ie, a new voice to main variation A for use in a different registration, I should save the style as a new style, edit it and load that into a later reg memory?  I had not considered or learned that concept yet. (if that makes sense) I was thinking of reg memory as linked to the original style loaded on my display but I guess that is not the case.
aka Gene Maarkr. PSR-SX900, FA-06, PX-5S, Yamaha drums, Epi Les Paul, Yamaha bass, Studio One DAW w Waves, NI, IKM, iZotope.

Offline BogdanH

« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2023, 08:26:44 PM »
No problem maarkr, it's ok asking questions in forum (that's why it exist). And I can understand your desire to learn everything as quick as possible  :)
What I was saying in regard of styles, registrations, OTS, etc. is, that there are always exceptions.. because there are many possibilities of how to approach/solve the problem.
Speaking for me, registrations was the last thing that I paid an attention.. because in my opinion, one should learn and understand styles first. Once you really know how styles and OTS (which is part of style) work, then you'll able to use registrations more wisely.
I noticed that many start with registrations (because "it's so simple") without really knowing what's happening underneath.. and after a while they realize they have quite a mess.

..You're saying if I want to add ie, a new voice to main variation A for use in a different registration, I should save the style as a new style, edit it and load that into a later reg memory?...
No, that's not what I was saying. I said that you need to make a copy of the style if you wish to modify note velocities of particular voice... Let me try to explain. Every voice (drum, piano, trumpet, etc.) can be louder or more strong (aggressive) -and these two characteristics are not the same thing!
You can make some voice louder by simply increasing the volume of that track. But that way you won't make it "stronger" -to make it sound stronger, you need to press key harder (faster actually). That speed of key pressing is called velocity. Yes, if you press keys harder you also usually increase volume as well. But not only that, you also change how voice sounds. For example, a string on guitar doesn't only sound louder if you smash it -it also sound differently: it sounds "stronger".

To summarize, it depends on what you wish to achieve.

Bogdan
PSR-SX700 on K&M-18820 stand
Playing for myself on Youtube

Offline maarkr

« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2023, 02:51:00 PM »
thanks for your reply... I have a fairly good understanding of styles, OTS and other 'buttons'.  I produced and mixed many songs over the years using DAW software and building custom song backings using my Roland FA-06 and Casio PX-5S so I try to jump ahead with this keyboard to get some christmas songs done before the holiday, but alas, I may need more time to comprehend style development and song building with midi.  One of the reasons I got the SX900 is the number of video tools ( that I watch MANY times) and a good forum on the web. 
I will have many more questions so thanks for reading my posts as I understand that they may be hard to interpret.  It gets worse with age, lol.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2023, 02:56:58 PM by maarkr »