Author Topic: Operating my SX700 with battries  (Read 1034 times)

Offline Denn

Operating my SX700 with battries
« on: December 05, 2023, 06:51:12 AM »
I would like to take my SX700 on holiday with me. Many places I go do not have mains power, (I live in Australia).
Is it possible to make up a battery pack that would drive the SX700 for a few hours ? There are now lawn mowers that run on 18V batteries and I wondered if one of these batteries could be adapted to run the kbd. Maybe three 6V car batteries?
Kind regards, Denn
Love knitting dolls

Offline Divemaster

Re: Operating my SX700 with battries
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2023, 07:33:36 AM »
Hi Denn

I don't know about batteries, but some members have been using power units.

Take a look at this post. Might help.

https://www.psrtutorial.com/forum/index.php/topic,67498.0.html
Yamaha PSR-SX700
Korg Pa5x
Technics SX-PR900 Digital Ensemble Piano
Lenovo M10 Android tablet with Lekato page turner

Offline aba

« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2023, 07:56:07 AM »
Keep in mind that: Batteries produce something called direct current (DC).
Check if your Yamaha 220V AC to 18 V adapter is AC or DC in the outlet to your key`s
« Last Edit: December 05, 2023, 07:57:56 AM by aba »

Offline BogdanH

« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2023, 08:22:14 AM »
hello Denn,
SX700 requires 16V to run and consumes 21W of power. To meet that condition, power supply must be able to deliver (21W/16V=) 1.3A current. Keep in mind that that are average values that mostly depend on keyboard loudness.
Theoretically, if your battery has capacity of 1.3Ah, then you can play on keyboard for 1 hour. In case of 4Ah battery, that would be about (4/1.3=) 3 hours.
As said, that's theoretical, because it depends on losses (ambience temperature, battery quality, etc.). If you use 18V Li-ion battery (which is more common), then above running time should be close enough.

PS: I've just seen aba's post...
Yamaha power adapter is 16V DC. That is, battery must be connected directly into keyboard. And needless to say: pay attention on polarity!

Bogdan

PSR-SX700 on K&M-18820 stand
Playing for myself on Youtube

Offline Denn

« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2023, 01:19:37 PM »
Thank you for your replies. I had in mind three 6V car batteries and would need solar panels to keep them charged. Guess to safeguard my kbd I'll give it a miss. The kangaroos will have to go without their Christmas dance.  :'( :'( ::)
Thanks again
Regards, Denn.
Love knitting dolls

Offline kaimei19

« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2023, 08:33:34 PM »
Hi Denn

After I moved out of Bonnie Doon I spent a year travelling around Australia in a caravan which I fitted with one of the following which you will find on eBay. Search for....

Giandel 1000W/2000W Power Inverter Pure Sine Wave 12V-240V Cigarette light plug

Of course, many other listed Pure Sine Wave Inverters (12vDC to 240vAC) will do the job. Your only requirement is to have a charged car battery somewhere nearby. Then you'll be able to not only play your keyboard for hours, you'll also be able to charge your electronic devices, plug in a light, take your electric toothbrush and run any small 240v appliances.

I kept my battery(s) charged using a 250 watt solar array when camping off grid for several days - otherwise driving the car every couple of days kept the battery(s) charged. If using your car battery directly to run your SX700 then be mindful of not running that battery flat and being in a remote location.

Hope this helps
Phil