Author Topic: Genos2 styles missing voices?  (Read 1430 times)

Offline BogdanH

Genos2 styles missing voices?
« on: December 03, 2023, 02:21:30 PM »
As we can see, there's quite a lot of interest on converted (revoiced) Genos2 styles, so they could be usable on previous keyboards (btw. I don't own Genos2).

I have checked only few Genos2 styles and it appears, that some styles are using voices which Genos2 keyboard doesn't have or at least those missing voices aren't published.
For example:
Latin section: 10s CubanPop -Phrase2 uses a voice (MSB-LSB-PCn=008-082-065) which doesn't exist on Genos2.
Ballroom section: Beguine -the same voice as above is used in IntroIII & EndingIII (in Phrase1).
Ballroom section: OrchestralTango -voice 008-081-48 is used in IntroII & EndingII (in Phrase2), which also doesn't exist.
.. and there are more.

Now I wonder... is published list of voices (DataList) incomplete, or are some voices used in styles actually missing?

Bogdan
« Last Edit: December 03, 2023, 06:09:49 PM by BogdanH »
PSR-SX700 on K&M-18820 stand
Playing for myself on Youtube

The following users thanked this post: Taffinator

Re: Genos2 style: missing voices?
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2023, 06:15:17 PM »
Dear Bodgan,

I'm presently working intensively in "adjusting" Genos 2 Styles to be playable  on Genos1 (and therefore, with MINOR changes involving the lack of Revo drums in SX models).

So far I'm very satisfied with the results. Of course it takes quite a long time and work, but it is FUN and the results are just amazing. It is like to have a new arranger: the REAL new Styles are so many and often made by the programmers with admirable creativity that brings to our Styles collection precious improvements.

In some case, when loading a Genos 2 Style I felt completely blind: only a few tracks would play. But also in this case it is a fun to search for suitable voices.

To make a long story short, and answer to your question I did'nt really need a list of Voices used in Genos2 Styles. As you know, the first 6 Tracks are usually (with a few exceptions) dedicated to recurring Voices groups. So it is a matter of selecting a suitable Voice for Track1 (Percussions), 2 (DrumKit), 3 (Bass), 4 and 5 (guitars and pianos), 6 (pads, strings, organs, ecc.). For Phrase 1 and 2 the Voices are not recurring, wich requires a longer search, but it is Ok too.

Another action is required (on all Styles of Genos2 to b played on previous models) about Reverb: we don't have the new REVELATION, but it is easy to select a suitable Reverb from the many available on our "old" models.

Usually quite an intensive work is needed to re-balance the volume of each Track (Variation By Variation) to play smootly the Style. 

All that said, it would certainly be beneficial to may have a complete list of Voices (a long, very long list....). But it would be a huge database, and I doubt that anybody would spend hours to provide it.

When I will go through the tuning work, I'll upload on a cloud the adjusted Genos 2 Styles, to be available to all the members of our Forum. But it will take time....

Ciao,

Angelo
Yamaha Genos, Clavinova Cvp309PE, Hs-8, Hammond Xm2.
Past: Farfisa Minicompact, CompactDeLuxe; Elkarapsody; Hammond L122R&Leslie142; CasioCz1000; Roland D50, E20, ProE, Juno106, JX8P, Ra90; Technics Kn800, 1000, 2000; Korg M1, i3, i30, Pa1x, Pa3x; others.

The following users thanked this post: motifes, Roshure, jazzy_beat, johan, LucoB

Offline BogdanH

Re: Genos2 styles missing voices?
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2023, 06:20:37 PM »
hi Angelo,
-thank you for showing interest!

Maybe I wasn't clear.. I'm not looking for a list of substitute voices.
What I'm saying is, some of Genos2 onboard styles are using voices that don't exist on Genos2.

Bogdan
PSR-SX700 on K&M-18820 stand
Playing for myself on Youtube

« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2023, 07:41:45 PM »
Thank you, Bodgan. I got it now :D
Yamaha Genos, Clavinova Cvp309PE, Hs-8, Hammond Xm2.
Past: Farfisa Minicompact, CompactDeLuxe; Elkarapsody; Hammond L122R&Leslie142; CasioCz1000; Roland D50, E20, ProE, Juno106, JX8P, Ra90; Technics Kn800, 1000, 2000; Korg M1, i3, i30, Pa1x, Pa3x; others.

Offline pjd

« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2023, 07:30:30 PM »
hi Angelo,
-thank you for showing interest!

Maybe I wasn't clear.. I'm not looking for a list of substitute voices.
What I'm saying is, some of Genos2 onboard styles are using voices that don't exist on Genos2.

Bogdan

Hi gents --

I've converted ten G2 styles to G1 so far. (Mainly, R&B and anything with "funk" in the style name. :) )

I quite agree with Angelo -- one can get some pretty decent results. The trickiest substitutions, so far, are matching up the new Megavoice bass voices with G1 equivalents. Several Ambi Kits are Revo Kits with ambience added. Nothing sounds bad sonically with a little care.

A few of the new styles are very well-played: DetroitSoul, 60sSlowSoul, SlowSoulJam, Smokin'Soul, DrawbarGroove, and DrawbarSwing. I think Yamaha hired a talented session guy to play the drum parts, so I do not recommend replacing the drum parts with old drum parts! You would be tossing out the good stuff.

I haven't tried to tackle the Production Kit and Dirty Kit, yet. These have kick drums in a "non-standard" range of MIDI notes.

I came across an unknown Genos2 voice today -- MSB: 8, LSB: 81, PC: 74 -- Maybe they meant TromboneShake (9/81/74)?

I found some other minor thing that might have been a careless choice that slipped through QA. Can't remember what it was...

All the best -- pj

Offline pjd

« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2023, 07:09:32 PM »
Yeah, you learn somethin' every day...

I converted "SouthernSoul." The MIDI Song to Style program reported one of the voices as "#104-1-44".  Try to find that in either the G2 data list or G1 data list and -- nothing.

Yet, somehow, Genos1 found this voice! It mapped to "StringQuartet" and the MSB/LSB/PC is 104-1-44. Can't find "StringQuartet" in the data lists, either.

Working my way up the Genos1 directory structure, the secret voice is in:

StyleVoice  /  Strings 

"StyleVoice" is at the same directory level as "Legacy", "MegaVoice", "EnsemblePart", etc. That is, the top level of the Preset Voice hierarchy.

I'll bet that none of these "Style Voices" are included in the MIDI Song to Style voice lists...

Hope this helps -- pj
« Last Edit: December 06, 2023, 09:26:39 PM by pjd »