Author Topic: Need help, I forgot how to edit a song...  (Read 2462 times)

Offline Rotech

Need help, I forgot how to edit a song...
« on: December 03, 2023, 02:25:41 AM »
Hello friends, I have a psr s900 which I had for a while but I recently went back to playing and recorded a song which has lots of errors. What I recorded was only the style with auto companion. My question is how do I edit this error for the style? I have yet put any layers yet. Please someone shed some light...

Offline Rotech

Re: Need help, I forgot how to edit a song...
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2023, 01:01:52 PM »
Can some one at least tell me how to edit chords in the chord section? Please

Offline mikf

« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2023, 01:32:35 PM »
I need to first state that I don’t know what auto companion is, I have never used such a function, so my answer could be off track. But assuming you just have an accompaniment track with a few errors, here is my answer….
If the recording is midi, (which I think it must be on a s900) it is very easy to edit. If there are only a few errors, simplest way is to correct is to use the punch in/out method. Too long to describe in detail here, look up your user manual page 163. If you don’t have a manual you can easily pull it up on line, just type S900 Yamaha manual.
If there are a lot of errors, you are best to start over. Re record it. If your playing skills are limited, try slowing the tempo way down to make it easier, you can even use single finger chord mode if you are still struggling to change chords on time.  If you make a couple of mistakes then use the punch in/out method to correct them. If you can’t make the punch in/out work, post exactly what happens here, and someone will help.
If you slow the tempo, use single finger chord mode, and are only recording the accompaniment track and still can’t get it nearly enough right first time to just have to correct just a couple of errors …..what can I say…you just need a lot more practice.
Mike
« Last Edit: December 03, 2023, 10:08:53 PM by mikf »

The following users thanked this post: Rotech

Offline Rotech

« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2023, 03:20:31 AM »
Sorry for my interpretation, your right it's accompaniment. I have a accompaniment track with a few errors which should be easy to correct but even after reading the manual I cant comprehend. I understood how to edit single notes when you add tracks to the accompaniment  track, but when going to the chord section I get lost.

Correct me if I am wrong,  if I go the punch in/punch out method do I have to setup the keybrd exactly the way I recorded the previous accompaniment tracks?  Meaning  "ACMP" "Variation" "SYNC START" buttons on?

Update: I tried the punch in ,punch out method  on a single measure which the errors is and what occurs is that when it gets to that certain point it records in blank and then the track continues.

Offline mikf

« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2023, 04:58:17 AM »
First you have to set up to record the tracks you want to correct, in your case all the tracks with style parts, which I think from memory is 1-8. Make sure they are set  to record, although truthfully in your case you could just set all tracks to record because you have nothing on the other tracks anyway.
BTW, I suspect if you got a blank on the  correction, you may have missed this step.
Then set punch in /out bar numbers.  Then press play. The recording will start to play back. You can play chords along with it because nothing will be recorded anyway until you get to the bar you want to correct. Or you can wait till you get close to that bar and start to play. Keep playing till you pass that bar.  A slick tip to save time… you could fast forward after you press play to get close to the bar you want to correct.
Now exit the record mode and play back, it should have corrected.
Another slick tip,,, make a copy before you start to edit, save it as another name like ‘song v2 ‘ and then you have a fall back if you screw up.
Experiment, you will get the hang of it.
Mike
« Last Edit: December 04, 2023, 05:06:00 AM by mikf »

Offline Rotech

« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2023, 12:31:47 PM »
Thank you for responding Mike, I tried what you said but it seemed to work. The only thing I noticed is when I play back I can see the sudden change in that measure. What I'm doing is setting the keyboard with the style I was using then I select acmp, sync start. Then I select record then select all the tracks needed. Set the punch in/out and start recording to the set punch in. Is thus correct?

Have you used the chord edit option? How does that work?

Offline mikf

« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2023, 05:17:05 PM »
...... thing I noticed is when I play back I can see the sudden change in that measure. What I'm doing is setting the keyboard with the style I was using then I select acmp, sync start. Then I select record then select all the tracks needed. Set the punch in/out and start recording to the set punch in. Is thus correct?
Have you used the chord edit option? How does that work?
Although you say 'see the sudden change' I think you mean 'hear the sudden change'. If this is the case then you probably do not have the exact same setting on the accompaniment that was used to originally record it. Maybe you would be best to start over, record, then correct any errors without touching the settings. BTW you don't need synch start to do the corrections because you are starting it manually.
 I have never used the chord edit function.
mike

Offline overover

« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2023, 11:26:30 PM »
Hi Rotech,

Perhaps there is a fundamental problem of understanding here:

If you play the automatic accompaniment, i.e. with a style, and record this as a MIDI file, exactly what you hear is recorded (i.e. every single note). If you played wrong chords when recording, you would have to change every single "wrong" MIDI note. The originally played chords are also saved in the MIDI file (as so-called “XF Chord Meta Events”). But even if you were to edit/change these chords later, it would not affect the recorded MIDI file.

In many cases it is easier to just repeat the recording. You can correct individual incorrect tones on the keyboard in “Song Creator > Step Edit”.

The PC (Windows) program “MixMaster” is highly recommended for MIDI file editing. For more extensive MIDI editing, you usually use a sequencer program (DAW) such as Cubase or Cakewalk. There are, among other things, graphical editors (“Piano Roll Editor”) for making quick adjustments.

P.S.
To replace incorrectly played passages in MIDI files, you could of course use the Punch In/Out recording method mentioned above (controlled by a foot switch). Many users do it this way, but to be honest, I have never used this. Depending on what functions I need, I edit MIDI files with MixMaster, Midifile Optimizer (by Midiland) or in DAW programs.

Best regards,
Chris
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.
➪ Never put the manual too far away: There's more in it than you think! ;-)

Offline mikf

« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2023, 01:37:34 PM »
Chris, I never felt I needed to use a foot switch to control punch in /out edit. You have set the bars and tracks in advance and can play along, but only the set bars will change. I find it very simple. If for example I have mistimed a chord change in bar 29, I set the in at 28 and the out at 30, fast forward to bar 20, start the recording, play chords along with it, usually thru about bar 35. But only the the change at bar 28/30 is recorded. By playing along for more bars than I am changing I get into the rhythm and usually get it right.
Mike

Offline overover

« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2023, 07:39:19 PM »
Chris, I never felt I needed to use a foot switch to control punch in /out edit. You have set the bars and tracks in advance and can play along, but only the set bars will change. I find it very simple. If for example I have mistimed a chord change in bar 29, I set the in at 28 and the out at 30, fast forward to bar 20, start the recording, play chords along with it, usually thru about bar 35. But only the the change at bar 28/30 is recorded. By playing along for more bars than I am changing I get into the rhythm and usually get it right.
Mike

Thanks for your feedback regarding Punch In/Out Recording, Mike.

Yes, of course it also works well in the way you described (possibly even better than with a footswitch). But, as I said, I don't really use this feature because I usually post-process MIDI files on the computer anyway.

Best regards,
Chris
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.

Offline mikf

« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2023, 11:20:43 PM »
Chris, I’m a keyboard player, so I will always prefer to correct things by playing, rather than using a computer. For me that’s the easiest way.
Mike

Offline Rotech

« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2023, 02:52:11 PM »
Thank you all for your feed back and advices...

Offline Rotech

« Reply #12 on: December 15, 2023, 02:32:12 AM »
So I corrected my errors with the help of all of feed back, but I find some intrument a little to loud.  How can I edit the volume on the corresponding Channel after its recorded?  And thanks for your help.

Offline overover

« Reply #13 on: December 15, 2023, 09:19:18 AM »
So I corrected my errors with the help of all of feed back, but I find some intrument a little to loud.  How can I edit the volume on the corresponding Channel after its recorded?  And thanks for your help.

Hi Rotech,

Is this about the overall volume of a specific MIDI file channel (e.g. the complete bass channel), or is it about the volume of specific, individual notes?

Best regards,
Chris

The following users thanked this post: Rotech

Offline Rotech

« Reply #14 on: December 16, 2023, 02:47:41 AM »
For example I find the guitar that I added to the accompaniment a bit to high.  So it's 5he guitar overall volume. And if you don't mind explaining how do you adjust the volume on a specific note..

Offline Rotech

« Reply #15 on: January 06, 2024, 11:24:29 AM »
Bump...

Offline KurtAgain

« Reply #16 on: January 06, 2024, 01:05:01 PM »
There are good lessons about song editing in the tutorial section:
https://psrtutorial.com/lessons/tune/adjSong/index.html

Especially about adjusting volumes:
https://psrtutorial.com/lessons/tune/adjSong/Songs1VolBal.html

Offline overover

« Reply #17 on: January 06, 2024, 05:50:24 PM »
For example I find the guitar that I added to the accompaniment a bit to high.  So it's 5he guitar overall volume. And if you don't mind explaining how do you adjust the volume on a specific note..

Hi Rotech,

Press the "Mixing Console" button several times until "Song Part 1 - 8" or "Song Part 9 - 16" is displayed (depending on which channels of the currently loaded MIDI song file you want to edit).

Make sure the volume control faders are selected (press the "E" or "J" display button if necessary) and set the desired volumes.

To save the changes made in the Mixing Console to the MIDI file, do the following:

Open the Song Creator and go to the "Setup" page ([FUNCTION⁣] > [F⁣] DIGITAL REC MENU > [A⁣] SONG CREATOR > Tab CHANNEL > [B⁣] SETUP)

Important: Now press the SONG STOP button to make sure the song position is at the beginning.

Press "EXECUTE" ("E" button) and then "SAVE" ("I" button). If you want to keep the original file, enter a new/changed file name, otherwise confirm the message to overwrite the currently loaded file.

Finished!  :)

To change the volume of individual notes in a MIDI Song file, go to the "1 - 16" tab in the Song Creator. There you will see one line for each note. Change the so-called “Velocity” (“playing strength”) of the desired note(s) here. This is the value in the column to the right of the displayed note name (e.g. "C3").

Please also read the chapter "Using, Creating and Editing Songs" in the PSR-S900 Owner's Manual starting on page 140. If you don't have the manual, you can download it here:
>>> https://uk.yamaha.com/files/download/other_assets/5/322645/psrs900_en_om_b1.pdf

Hope this helps!

Best regards,
Chris
« Last Edit: January 06, 2024, 05:55:59 PM by overover »