Author Topic: How does Easy sounds convert FM sounds to make Genos packs  (Read 1093 times)

Offline ugawoga

How does Easy sounds convert FM sounds to make Genos packs
« on: December 02, 2023, 02:14:37 PM »
Hi

If we knew this it would open the door  :)
Are Easy Sounds a partner with Yamaha??

All the Best
John
Genos, I7 computer 32 gig ram, Focusrite 6i6, Cubase controller, Focal Alpha Monitors, Yamaha DXR8 Speakers
Cubase 10, Sonarworks, Izotope.  Sampletank, Arturia and Korg software.  Now IK Mixbox

Offline overover

Re: How does Easy sounds convert FM sounds to make Genos packs
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2023, 03:26:22 PM »
Hi John,

So far, Easy Sounds only offers packs based on samples. The keyboard in question (e.g. DX7) is sampled "as usual". Then the samples are processed (e.g. cut and looped), then mapped in a corresponding program, exported as SF2, then imported into the YEM and the Voice in question is finalized there.

Real FM sounds for the Genos2 Tone Generator can probably only be produced by Yamaha at the moment.

Best regards,
Chris
« Last Edit: December 02, 2023, 03:27:31 PM by overover »
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.
➪ Never put the manual too far away: There's more in it than you think! ;-)

Offline pjd

« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2023, 06:00:32 PM »
Real FM sounds for the Genos2 Tone Generator can probably only be produced by Yamaha at the moment.
Chris

True that, Chris.

YEM 2.10 has UVF (XML) tags for FM voices. No secret, the tags correspond to Montage/MODX FM-X voice parameters.

The problem, at the moment, is how the tags are used in a UVF voice structure. All we need is one example of an FM UVF voice file and we should be able to fill in the blanks, so to speak.

However, that leaves the larger issue of actually creating and editing an FM voice in UVF. There are 25 per-op parameters -- well over 200 individual voice parameters in an 8-op FM voice. Creating an FM voice is difficult enough, but doing it in XML text?  :o

Probably the best path moving forward is to edit on Montage/MODX, export, then translate the exported representation into UVF.

That's a lot of work vs. the number of people who will actually create new FM voices for Genos2. Yeah, there are a lot of empty hands out wanting FM voices, but actually creating them...

All the best -- pj

Offline svpworld

« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2023, 06:22:06 PM »
Much cheaper to buy a MODX and pair with the Genos 1. Unless Genos 2 is your first Genos, I would not expect there to be any expansion FM voices. An editor would be useful but most people who use arranger workstations aren't bothered about editing voices. I own a Genos 1 and the original MODX, so nothing at the moment is tempting me to upgrade to a G2.

Offline overover

« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2023, 09:21:11 PM »
@pjd
Thanks for the YEM V2.10 UVF details regarding the FM voices!

I haven't gotten around to taking a closer look at the new UVF format yet.  ;)

Best regards,
Chris
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.
➪ Never put the manual too far away: There's more in it than you think! ;-)