Author Topic: Genos 1 and 2 styles for psr-sx600  (Read 1591 times)

Genos 1 and 2 styles for psr-sx600
« on: December 01, 2023, 08:47:32 AM »
Hello, I have a question that I am very intregued about. Can someone please convert genos 1 and genos 2 as well as styles not found on psr-sx900 and 700 as well as cvp-909, I have tested onasimus style conversions for s950 and s910, but they sound outdated and the organ flutes do not work, and the dsp effects sound extremely rubbish sometimes, so can someone convert and PSR-sx900/700 styles for SX-600, so that the organ flutes sound like the closest
the organ sound on the sx-600, change the drum notes, change the ots, fix the S.art2, that would be great, because I tested Drake's country styles, and it was atrocious, someone who is really good at converting styles, could well test it. I want all categories, like ballad, ballroom... But, its not just for me, i think it could benefit everyone so the psr-sx600 shines more at gigs etc, so it sounds more good.

Offline Divemaster

Re: Genos 1 and 2 styles for psr-sx600
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2023, 11:17:22 AM »
Whilst it's always possible to import styles from older or later keyboards, the results, as you have already discovered, are often far from usable.
Sure, they'll make a noise, but........

Put quite simply, you gets what you pays for. So no, your chances of getting an SX600 to sound like a Genos.....forget it.

You can convert styles yourself, but be prepared to spend a LOT of time doing so. I can't in all honesty see a Genos owner wanting to convert styles downwards. I mean... why would they?

Work the other way. So find styles from earlier keyboards and try to enhance them to what you find acceptable.

Onacimus and Drake do some fabulous work for us all, so don't knock it. They have contributed more than a lot of us will ever do or even understand how to do, so respect is due to them both.

It frankly won't benefit anybody except an SX600 owner to spend massive amounts of time and effort doing what you suggest. It just won't happen.

The PSR-SX600 is already a very good keyboard. The styles that are included play well, and so why not work with what you've got, rather than what you haven't? Every keyboard has limits. Only the player makes the difference.

I would suggest, kindly, that if you want to achieve all you are suggesting, and especially for gigging, you need a different keyboard. Depends what sort of gigging you're going to do, and the sort of audience you play to. There are lots of Genos 1 for sale atm for example, as players have upgraded to G2.  Or the SX700/900.  Depends on your budget.

Just my thoughts
Keith.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2023, 11:32:26 AM by Divemaster »
Yamaha PSR-SX700
Korg Pa5x
Technics SX-PR900 Digital Ensemble Piano
Lenovo M10 Android tablet with Lekato page turner

The following users thanked this post: Ryszard Bieszczad

Offline Chicken fry

« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2023, 12:45:43 PM »
Well.. That's sounds like a good idea.. But I don't think it's practical.. Even my SX900 won't support the styles of Genos2..It would support.. But affects the voice very badly..
The main thing is you should have the same stylevoice of genos in your Sx600 to support the styles of Genos...

Best Regards
Chicken fry.

Offline pjd

« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2023, 06:02:17 PM »
Put quite simply, you gets what you pays for. So no, your chances of getting an SX600 to sound like a Genos.....forget it.

You can convert styles yourself, but be prepared to spend a LOT of time doing so.

Onacimus and Drake do some fabulous work for us all, so don't knock it. They have contributed more than a lot of us will ever do or even understand how to do, so respect is due to them both.

It frankly won't benefit anybody except an SX600 owner to spend massive amounts of time and effort doing what you suggest.
Keith.

Hi --

Welcome to the Forum!

Keith made a number of good points (above) with which I agree.

Please read the thread about converting Genos2 styles to SX900. This info will give you a taste of what's involved. I've already put 2 to 3 hours converting a Genos2 style to Genos1 -- and that didn't involve remapping Revo/Ambi drums.

So, it's easy to ask people to convert Genos styles to SX600 -- and another thing to actually deliver. Converting all Genos styles to SX600 is a huge time-sink, especially if you don't have an SX600 and don't benefit from the effort.

I recommend taking one Genos style and try your hand at conversion -- pj
« Last Edit: December 01, 2023, 06:04:00 PM by pjd »

Offline pedro_pedroc

« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2023, 06:13:05 PM »
Hello.

I have three keyboards at my studio (Genos, SX900, and SX700) - just to convert my custom styles for more compatible keyboards - and I do everything only using keyboards - no computers, no softwares (it won't be the same).

I can create styles from scratch, and I use my Genos to do it. I usually use all the features to make my styles sound the best (which means a lot of effects, pedals, reverbs, and so on).
After that, I use my SX900 to convert the Genos style I created to SX900. It's a kind of time, but it's not so hard. (now I must replace some voices, adjust volumes and equalizing, remove some effects and so on).
After that, I use my SX700 to convert the SX900 style - now we're talking about a more consuming time convertion task... (now there are more things to do, replacing voices, adjust volumes and equalizing, remapping drums, reprogramming drums, remove even more effects, replace parts...).

I do all of the work for commercial proporses, as I sell my custom styles on a website, so my styles can be more compatible for more models.

Most of my SX700 styles play well on SX600 (I don't have a SX600 with me).

I can tell you: convert a Genos style to SX700 is not so easy - however, I have all the keyboards here to listen to and to compare, to know what are the voices and effects used, so I can try "live" the best options to replace...
However, if you don't have the keyboards, don't have any idea what voices are inside a style, and you just pick a Genos style, import to your keyboard, and try to convert it - oh man, that's insane.

I agree with every opinion posted here.

Best regards,
Pedro Eleuterio

Offline BogdanH

« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2023, 06:33:40 PM »
However, if you don't have the keyboards, don't have any idea what voices are inside a style, and you just pick a Genos style, import to your keyboard, and try to convert it - oh man, that's insane.
I can only agree -nothing more to add  :)

Bogdan
PSR-SX700 on K&M-18820 stand
Playing for myself on Youtube

Online DrakeM

« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2023, 11:18:06 PM »
Why wouldn't my G2 converted styles work with a SX600 keyboard?

I thought all the previous voices were always included with the newer keyboards. The styles should not be missing any of the Mains or OTS, correct?

Offline pjd

« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2023, 11:48:00 PM »

Hi Pedro -- Respect, dude.  :) Good work.

I'm certifiably insane, but there is a method to my madness. I use a variety of tools to crawl through the source style and document voice/effect assignments in tables like:

60sSlowSoul.T552.prs

Ch# Part  MSB LSB PC1  Lvl  Genos2
--- ----  --- --- ---  ---  ---------------
  1         0   0   1   45  GrandPiano
  2         8   2  18   51  VintageFlatBass
  3       104  15   2       U1 Upright
  4         8   2   4   38  SolidGuitar2
  5         8   1  49       ClassicalStrings
  6         8   6   4       50sVintagePick
  7         8   1  56       SectionHornsDyn
  8         0   0   1   45  GrandPiano
  9 Rhy1  126   8  46   45  PopPercussionKit
 10 Rhy2  127   9  75   47  VintageOpenKit    --> VintageOpenKit (Revo)
 11 Bass    8   2  18   52  VintageFlatBass
 12 Chd1  104  15   2   45  U1 Upright        --> UprightPiano
 13 Chd2    8   2   4   32  SolidGuitar2
 14 Pad     8   1  49   54  ClassicalStrings
 15 Phr1    8   6   4   32  50sVintagePick
 16 Phr2    8   1  56   38  SectionHornsDyn   --> BrightHornSection

Reverb Type (0x18 0x00)  24 0  REVelation Large Hall
 Rhy2 Insert 106  2  Multiband Comp Drums Electric *
 Chd1 Insert 106  0  Multiband Comp Basic *

OTS 2 RIGHT2   8 42 61  SectionHornsWarm  -->  WarmPopHorns
 OTS 3 RIGHT1 104 15  2  U1 Upright        -->  UprightPiano
 OTS 3 RIGHT2 104  4 12  VibesTremolo      -->  Vibraphone / JazzVibes (Legacy)

That's the only way I can keep everything straight and know what to fix.

I think it was the first version of my DJX-II styles. I did a version for PSR-E series by selecting voices, kits and effects on PSR-E. The PSR-S is, generally, a superset of the E-series. [There are always exceptions.]

I agree, tho', I wouldn't want to do a conversion for a target keyboard that I did not have. At the time, I had an E443.

Saw Drake's message. I agree that one could target for the SX-600 in a similar way and test on a more capable instrument. However, it's always easy to forget some detail. Remapping Revo/Ambi drum notes and not testing gives me the willies.  :)

I honestly don't think the OP knew the necessary level of effort or commitment.

Nice to chat with other people who dive into the guts of things -- pj

Offline Divemaster

« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2023, 08:21:59 AM »
Yep I agree

Enthusiasm is not to be scorned, but I think it became pretty obvious that the OP had little or no comprehension of the amount of work, time and effort to produce, basically, a complete new set of sounds for his particular model of keyboard. I understand that not everybody is in the position of being able to buy TOTL keyboards, but obviously you want to get the best out of what you own. So no harm in asking.

It just wasn't a realistic proposition. I think there probably aren't that many SX600's in circulation. The lack of touchscreen compared to the SX700/900 is a deal breaker.
I don't think I could or would ever go back to a button operated screen again in 2023.

I use both Drakes and Onacimus styles on my SX-700 and they play very well.
Also some of Ian McNeils which are superb. Great work, and thanks guys.

Keith.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2023, 11:29:25 AM by Divemaster »
Yamaha PSR-SX700
Korg Pa5x

Offline Divemaster

« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2023, 11:31:55 AM »
Why wouldn't my G2 converted styles work with a SX600 keyboard?

I thought all the previous voices were always included with the newer keyboards. The styles should not be missing any of the Mains or OTS, correct?

Absolutely. They work just fine on my SX700 Drake.

Keith.
Yamaha PSR-SX700
Korg Pa5x

Offline Enildo

« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2023, 12:38:22 PM »

It just wasn't a realistic proposition. I think there probably aren't that many SX600's in circulation. The lack of touchscreen compared to the SX700/900 is a deal breaker.
I don't think I could or would ever go back to a button operated screen again in 2023.

Hello Keith

Maybe in your country there aren't many SX600s in circulation, in Brazil they are the majority. I say this with certainty!
I believe that in countries like Brazil, Mexico, Indonesia, where people's purchasing power is lower, the majority of sales of the SX line are just the SX600.

Enildo
When word fail, Music speaks!

Offline Divemaster

« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2023, 03:14:44 PM »
Hi Enildo

Yes, I was referring to mostly UK players. That's  really interesting that you have so many out that way.
I think you're right too. Where average earnings are lower, the ratio is bound to be affected.

Do any of your guys make Genos styles for the SX 600?

Sometimes, neccessity is the mother of invention.  :) :)

Take care my musical friend
Keith.
Yamaha PSR-SX700
Korg Pa5x

Offline jcook980

« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2023, 05:18:18 PM »
Hi Pedro -- Respect, dude.  :) Good work.

I'm certifiably insane, but there is a method to my madness.

I agree, pj, Pedro does great work. :)

You are definitely not insane! Your very interesting blog proves that. :D

Jim
---

Jim
PSR-SX900, Disklavier, QY-70, P-150

« Reply #13 on: December 03, 2023, 11:35:51 AM »
 99,999 procent of drakes styles sounds good, that's right, I tried salsa and mariachi norteno and best of europe, and they actually sounded really, really good what drake did! But, I'm not saying that all styles are bad like he did, no, absolutely not! Almost all are good, without country-genos2 styles, but I also understand that you have to do a lot to get them and sound good. But, isn't there any program that can do automatic style conversions from one keyboard to another? It must be really hard I think, but maybe there will be something with ai soon?

The following users thanked this post: Divemaster

Offline Divemaster

« Reply #14 on: December 03, 2023, 12:10:49 PM »
I get what you are trying to achieve, and admire your enthusiasm,  but no, there is no such program. You can load all the styles you want onto most other Yamaha keyboards, but it's the technology that's under the hood on the more expensive instruments that will determine HOW they play. And the SX-600 just doesn't have that. It's a great keyboard, but it's not a Genos.

Put quite simply........

Basically, you want a Rolls Royce for the price of a Mini.    The only thing they've got in common is 4 wheels.

I don't think I can add anything useful to the advice you've been given by a number of very knowledgeable members.

Enjoy your playing.

Keith.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2023, 12:20:27 PM by Divemaster »
Yamaha PSR-SX700
Korg Pa5x

Offline EileenL

« Reply #15 on: December 03, 2023, 03:56:00 PM »
Have you tried downloading any of the free Yamaha voice packs. Some of those contain new styles.