Author Topic: My headphones jack doesn't mute the main output  (Read 930 times)

Offline mbcaprariu

My headphones jack doesn't mute the main output
« on: November 24, 2023, 07:14:04 AM »
Hi guys,

I have a brand news sx900, it is magical :) indeed.
Only one problem till now, I want to listen to my headphone but my keyboard doesn't mute the main output when I connect the jack (I have my subwoofer connected and it keep playing)

Do not confuse with muting the keyboard speakers, it does that perfectly, but my subwoofer keep playing

Any suggestion?
Thanks in advance.

Bobby
SX900

Offline Divemaster

Re: My headphones jack doesn't mute the main output
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2023, 07:57:13 AM »
Take a look at your headphone PLUG.

Some manufacturers are currently marketing headphones that have 3. 5mm /4 pole plugs fitted as standard. We had to return some JVC ones recently and buy a different make.

Easily identified by the number of  black bands on the plug. There should only be 2 bands on headphones for use in Yamaha keyboards (and most other audio equipment).

4 pole plugs DO NOT match up to the corresponding contacts within the jack socket, no matter what Apple compatible and other similar descriptions will have you believe.

I don't have the same keyboard, but it's possible you can mute the sub from your menu? Just a thought.

2 possibilities anyway.

Keith
Yamaha PSR-SX700
Korg Pa5x
Technics SX-PR900 Digital Ensemble Piano
Lenovo M10 Android tablet with Lekato page turner

The following users thanked this post: Dave Shively, Halesowen Kid

Offline mbcaprariu

« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2023, 08:36:04 AM »
Thank you for your reply Keith.

I have 5 kind of 6.5mm jacks, doesn't matter, it mute the internal speakers but not the main output.
And I don't want to do extra setting every time I need to use the headphones.
Any other ideas? It has to be some settings.....

Bobby
SX900

Offline Divemaster

« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2023, 09:03:03 AM »
In that case, I don't know.
They were just possible suggestions.

But I'm sure somebody will.  ;)

Keith
Yamaha PSR-SX700
Korg Pa5x
Technics SX-PR900 Digital Ensemble Piano
Lenovo M10 Android tablet with Lekato page turner

Offline Bill

« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2023, 09:21:18 AM »
Hi Bobby

I suspect the only way out is to use an Audio Switch. They are reasonably cheap if your do a Google Search.

Bill
England

Current KB:  YAMAHA GENOS 2

Offline mbcaprariu

« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2023, 09:37:46 AM »
I refuse to believe that this is not possible :))
When you use headphones on any keyboards, all signals to speakers must be muted, including the main output

I'm missing something......

Bobby
SX900

Offline FrankJaco

« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2023, 11:06:10 AM »
I own a SX700, so I don't have a subwoofer output.  But I was intrigued by your issue.  I have been testing the Microsoft AI Copilot of late and figured I would ask it about your issue....

I own a Yamaha PSR- SX900 keyboard. When I plug in my headphone jacks the internal speakers mute as they should, but my subwoofer does not.  Why???

Hello, this is Bing. I’m sorry to hear that you are having trouble with your subwoofer. There are a few possible reasons why your subwoofer does not mute when you plug in your headphones. Here are some suggestions that might help you solve the problem:

Make sure you are using the correct output jack for your headphones. According to the PSR-SX900/SX700 Owner’s Manual, you should use the PHONES jack on the rear panel of the keyboard, not the AUX OUT jacks. The PHONES jack automatically mutes the internal speakers, but the AUX OUT jacks do not.
Make sure you are using the correct input jack for your subwoofer. According to the [KS-SW100 Owner’s Manual], you should use the PHONE-RCA cable that came with the subwoofer to connect it to the keyboard. The cable has a stereo mini plug on one end and two RCA plugs on the other end. Connect the stereo mini plug to the SUBWOOFER OUT jack on the rear panel of the keyboard, and connect the RCA plugs to the INPUT jacks on the back of the subwoofer. The SUBWOOFER OUT jack automatically mutes the subwoofer when you plug in your headphones to the PHONES jack.
Make sure the volume of the subwoofer is not set too high. You can adjust the volume of the subwoofer using the VOLUME knob on the back of the subwoofer. If the volume is too high, you might still hear some sound from the subwoofer even when it is muted by the headphones. Try lowering the volume until you hear no sound from the subwoofer when you plug in your headphones.

What I am gleaning from this is that somehow the subwoofer jack/cable is unique and if not using the correct one it may not mute.  Or the actual Yamaha SubWoofer is required along with the cable is required. I guess that is plausible?   It does state it should mute, as your keyboard is new, Yamaha and dealer support should be available to you.  In any case best of luck getting this resolved! And congrats on the new keyboard. My 700 is fabulous; your 900 is even more so.

fj

Offline Dupe

« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2023, 11:45:12 AM »
Hi, Is your subwoofer an active system using an internal amplifier with its own volume control? If this is the case the signal output is at line level, and of a fixed level output, which will not be muted when plugging in headphones. As already suggested you may have to switch the signal to the woofer off or cut the power to the woofer. There are other ways of using remote control switching techniques but can get very complicated. An audio switch built into the signal output line would work of course!!

Offline mbcaprariu

« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2023, 02:09:01 PM »
Nice one, AI Copilot :)

The subwoofer is an active one with own volume control, KS-SW100, with all the original cables inserted.
And is on the main output, and the level is control by the volume knob on the keyboard.
I've tried to use the subwoofer exit (from keyboard), but the volume knob (from keyboard) doesn't work
The only issue is that the main output doesn't mute when I connect the headphones.....I find that an issues because my logic said that :).

Thank you for your input!
Bobby
SX900

Offline overover

« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2023, 03:57:58 PM »
Hi Bobby,

It is completely normal that when you connect a plug to the headphone jack, only the internal speakers are switched off. With older keyboards, you even had to use this method "dummy plug in the headphone jack" when used on stage in order to mute the internal speakers when playing over a PA system. On newer models like the SX900 there is a Speaker menu item "Menu > Utility > Speaker/Connectivity > Speaker". There are the following three options:

Headphone Switch: Speaker sounds normally, but is cut off when headphones are inserted to the PHONES jack.
On: Speaker sound is always on.
Off: Speaker sound is always off. You can only hear the instrument sound via the headphones or an external device connected to the LINE OUT / AUX OUT jacks.

For models with an 8-pin connector for the "internal" speakers (Tyros / Genos models), these settings refer to the sound system connected there.

The only model in which the LINE OUT jacks are muted by inserting a plug into the headphone jack is Tyros5, because there is no 8-pin connector here, but the TRS-MS05 sound system is connected to the LINE OUT jacks (with a special cable).

Best regards,
Chris
« Last Edit: November 24, 2023, 03:59:14 PM by overover »
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.
➪ Never put the manual too far away: There's more in it than you think! ;-)

The following users thanked this post: Dave Shively

Offline mbcaprariu

« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2023, 06:45:58 PM »
Thank all for clarifying that.  ::)
We can consider this thread close.

Happy playing (with the headphone)

Bobby

SX900