Author Topic: PSR e-463 audio output  (Read 724 times)

Offline rough

PSR e-463 audio output
« on: November 23, 2023, 10:39:44 AM »
Hello all
stupid question, is there any other way on the e463 to send audio signals to an external device (such as an audio recorder) other than the OUT/PHONES 3.5" jack?
I guess the only options are either the USB to DEVICE or USB to HOST ports. I'm almost sure the USB to DEVICE won't work (I guess it's for data and backup only), maybe there's some chance with the USB to HOST port. There's a small paragraph on the manual about this possibility but I'd just wish to be sure. I find a little bit annoying sharing a single jack for both OUT and PHONES, so that I had in mind to plug the PHONES to the keyboard and then if possible also send the audio signal in parallel to external speakers or an audio recorder through thr USB to HOST port.
Thanks!
My YouTube cover channel
https://www.youtube.com/@adr3nokrome

Offline BogdanH

Re: PSR e-463 audio output
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2023, 11:32:11 AM »
hi rough,
No, you can't send audio signal to USB.
For what you wish to achieve, you need to buy USB Audio Interface which is connected on keyboard OUT. That is, you need something like this (or similar) which also serves as a mixer.

Bogdan
PSR-SX700 on K&M-18820 stand
Playing for myself on Youtube

Offline overover

« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2023, 03:20:21 PM »
Hi rough,

The PSR-E463 has a built-in USB Audio interface (unlike, for example, PSR-SX900/700, PSR-S, Genos(1) and Tyros models). This means you can connect the E463 (USB-to-Host terminal) to a computer using a USB type "AB" cable and use it in conjunction with a DAW such as Cubase, for example. The Yamaha Steinberg USB Driver should be installed on the computer. The built-in USB Audio interface is not intended for sound output directly to active speakers or a hardware audio recorder as these usually cannot be connected directly to an Audio interface via USB.

Another option would be to connect a small mixer to the PHONES/OUTPUT jack (with a so-called "insert cable", i.e. 6.3 mm stereo TRS plug > 2 * 6.3 mm mono TS plugs). You can then connect headphones to this small mixer and also active speakers and/or an audio recorder device.

Hope this helps!

Best regards,
Chris
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.
➪ Never put the manual too far away: There's more in it than you think! ;-)

Offline BogdanH

« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2023, 03:33:59 PM »
..The PSR-E463 has a built-in USB Audio interface...
..uh, I missed that -thank you for correcting me Chris.

Bogdan
PSR-SX700 on K&M-18820 stand
Playing for myself on Youtube

Offline rough

« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2023, 05:25:57 AM »
Thanks a log overover and BogdanH.
I’m rather minimalist with my setup so that I think for now I’ll keep my phones plugged onto the keyboard, and will connect the audio recorder only when needed, in the end I’m not recording everyday and, honestly, most of my recordings can be handled with the E463 recorder….
But, thanks!

Offline casiokid

« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2023, 10:08:54 AM »
Would not a cable splitter suit your minimalist needs?

Offline rough

« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2023, 01:57:03 PM »
Would not a cable splitter suit your minimalist needs?
Yes! That was my second option but might become first :-)
Not ideal (how much do I lose in terms of sound quality?) but defnitely feasible.

But wait.
overover said the E463 has a build in audio interface, to connect directly with a computer and a software DAW.
I don't have a computer but I have an iPad and iPAD can have DAW apps installed, i.e. Multitrack DAW. This is actually an audio recorder (not midi) but it's not a hardware recorder such as my Tascam, which requires audio out/in as you said.
So that can I connect my E463 directly to my iPad and record with the DAW app, by connecting the USB to HOST port to the iPad with a simple lighting cable (but without a digital audio interface converter in between such as the Behringer UCA222 - actually I have one, but don't like it much.... signal loses some quality imho)
Thanks!!
My YouTube cover channel
https://www.youtube.com/@adr3nokrome