Author Topic: Genos - Uprigth Piano issue  (Read 929 times)

Offline Thomas P

Genos - Uprigth Piano issue
« on: November 19, 2023, 10:15:54 PM »
Hello. I have an strange issue with the Upright Piano voices. When I play the A2 note there is an strange "scratching" noise but only at an special level of velocity.
I have recorded it directly on the Genos under the following link you can hear it: https://1drv.ms/u/s!AuEaJiEi2LBshZBBe-hjq7ewOoZz_w?e=8NEchK

All other voices are alright only the Upright piano voices having this issue.

I have made an soft reset and disabled all DSPīs but without success.

The Genos is from July 2023 so I am under warranty.

What can this be. Any help is appreciated.

Thank you in advance.

Re: Genos - Uprigth Piano issue
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2023, 05:40:04 AM »
Hi Thomas,

I still have Genos 1 but there a few notes in the CFX piano sample that are like that. They've been that way since day 1. It's probably an anomaly in the sample that Yamaha has never or never will fix. The only other suggestion is to see if other G2 owners are hearing the same thing. If not, then you need to consider a resonant frequency in your speakers. What speakers are you using?
"Learn" your music correctly, then "practice" it. Don't practice mistakes because you'll learn them.

Offline Thomas P

« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2023, 06:15:17 AM »
Thank you for your help. I also use the G1. It is not an issue with the speakers because it is hearable with the headphones and the speakers and also it is recorded on the Genos without any speakers.

Maybe you can check if you can hear the same on your Genos? That will help a lot.

Thank you again.

Offline Sergey Kadyrov

« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2023, 06:25:37 AM »
Hi. I have something like this with SX900; I agree that it's most likely how the sample was recorded.
As a matter of fact little flaws like this reveal that we listen to the same sample over and over again, and we do the same when samples are "perfect", which is why we can get tired of it.
Inperfections, flaws - they can make it to sound more natural altogether, but it this case it would help if we had a variety of samples for a each note, so that it wouldn't be so repetitive.
At least with Genos it's easier to add variety with styles and other sounds. Imagine having a digital piano with few sounds and absolutely nothing to add to them.

« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2023, 02:20:17 PM »
Agreed. The flaw is in the sample. As Sergey mentioned, fortunately the slight flaw is always buried by other musical information. It's amazing how we used to listen to completely worn out records with all their ticks, pops, and scratches that were almost at the same level as the original recording, and now we can pluck a minute flaw out of a near perfect digital sample. How times have changed 🙃.
"Learn" your music correctly, then "practice" it. Don't practice mistakes because you'll learn them.

Offline Thomas P

« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2023, 04:32:39 PM »
Thank you for your confirmation... strange that it was not fixed, sounds like an mistake during the sampling process. But I am happy that it is no defective.  ;)

Offline maartenb

« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2023, 07:41:33 AM »
If you post the MIDI file here, I'm willing to record it on Genos2 and post the result here, so you can see (hear) if it's still there.

Maarten