Author Topic: Compatibility of Yamaha PSR SX900 with Downloaded Styles?  (Read 911 times)

Offline fantasyvn

Compatibility of Yamaha PSR SX900 with Downloaded Styles?
« on: November 19, 2023, 04:34:42 PM »
Hello everyone,

I'm currently exploring the Yamaha PSR SX900 and have a specific question regarding its compatibility with various styles. As many of you might be aware, our PSR tutorial website offers a vast collection of downloadable styles. My primary goal is to utilize these styles without compromising on sound quality or facing compatibility issues.

In my experience with other keyboards, I've noticed that some models struggle to accurately render these styles, often resulting in odd or unsatisfactory audio output. Could anyone with experience using the PSR SX900 share their insights on how well this model handles the playback of these styles? Specifically, I'm interested in knowing if the SX900 can play all these styles while maintaining the best possible sound quality that this model is capable of.

Any feedback or personal experiences would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you!

Offline Bill

Re: Compatibility of Yamaha PSR SX900 with Downloaded Styles?
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2023, 05:11:46 PM »
Hi Fantasyvn

I don't have a SX900, however most if not all Yamaha should basically work, however many will need some revoicing if they at not directly from a SX900.  Our keyboards, regardless of model, are not going to have many of the voices that were on the original keyboard.  Quite often the keyboard will have a guess, but it is rather hit and miss.  Remember a lot of the styles that are freely available are simply old styles that have been renamed. Lots do not have any OTS Voicing.

Regards

Bill
England

Current KB:  YAMAHA GENOS 2

Offline p$manK32

« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2023, 10:30:44 PM »
SX900 plays back older styles quite nicely because it substitutes the missing voices very well but as Bill says it’s also hit and miss. There’s a lot of styles to sift through here, depending on what genre you are looking for. More importantly you should check out the many styles here that have been converted specifically for SX900. There are lots of them. I personally don’t see a need to grab styles older than the Tyros models, and many of them are on the SX900 anyway. I revoice occasionally depending on what I want.

Rich
« Last Edit: November 22, 2023, 04:37:01 AM by p$manK32 »
SX900, MODX7+

Offline pjd

« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2023, 06:21:28 PM »
Hi --

When moving styles developed for keyboard X to keyboard Y, I always expect to do some manual tuning (e.g., revoicing, change DSP effect or parameters, etc.)

There are so many style that one never really knows their provenance or quality...

The basic auto-accompaniment engine itself is quite cross-compatible across mid-/upper-end Yamaha arrangers (SFF GE).

All the best -- pj

Offline Amwilburn

« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2023, 12:34:13 AM »
SX900 plays back older styles quite nicely because it substitutes the missing voices very well but as Bill says it’s also hit and miss. There’s a lot of styles to sift
*snip*
Rich
The sx900 plays back everything from T1 to T5 perfectly except for any SArt2 OTS. (the sx900 is based on T5 sound library minus the SA2 sounds), but with loads of international sounds and kits and revo compatible kits added, so even most G1 styles play back just fine on an sx900.

*however* older PSR's (PSR9000/2000/2100 and earlier) used a completely different type of drum kit (the samples were shorter, but with more bass).If you download the PSR340 retro pack for your sx900, you'll hear what the old drum kits sounded like, although the 340 pack the snare sounds much higher pitched and clearer than I remember (I remember them sounding more 'low res' and very thumpy). I actually still have 1 of these old keyboards, I'll remember to dust it off one of these days just to AB the old drums with the new ones.

Playing back styles from those models and earlier sound much weaker (but again, clearer) using the modern kits.

Mark