Author Topic: What songs were recorded on an arranger keyboard  (Read 1767 times)

What songs were recorded on an arranger keyboard
« on: November 13, 2023, 07:30:47 PM »
Hi everyone this is a pretty interesting question that came to my mind: I was wondering if you know any singer/songwriter that recorded an album on an arranger keyboard like a psr sx900 for example. Some songs I hear on the radio the drum track sounds similar to what I hear on Yamaha styles. I was just curious.

Offline mikf

Re: What songs were recorded on an arranger keyboard
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2023, 08:17:57 PM »
If you mean commercial recordings - not a chance any use an arranger. Just is not done. I don’t think anyone has ever seen a genuine recording artist using an arranger, or any evidence they ever find their way into commercial recording studios.
Similarity in drum tracks more likely the other way round, whoever makes style tracks at Yamaha gets as close to real drum tracks as they can.
Mike

The following users thanked this post: Keyboard Master

« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2023, 08:47:19 PM »
If you mean commercial recordings - not a chance any use an arranger. Just is not done. I don’t think anyone has ever seen a genuine recording artist using an arranger, or any evidence they ever find their way into commercial recording studios.
Similarity in drum tracks more likely the other way round, whoever makes style tracks at Yamaha gets as close to real drum tracks as they can.
Mike
I see. And maybe non commercial recordings may use one. Sometimes these days I feel if an artist doesn’t have time to hire in a live band they can use an arranger and perform ad a one man band.

Offline BogdanH

« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2023, 09:09:58 PM »
I see. And maybe non commercial recordings may use one. Sometimes these days I feel if an artist doesn’t have time to hire in a live band they can use an arranger and perform ad a one man band.
Not that I have any insight into music production (except what I can see on internet), I don't think it works that way. I believe that nowadays most (especially non-commercial) music is created "in DAW studio". And the more commercial (artistic) it goes, more real musicians (and backing singers) become involved.
Let's say I am (maybe) talented amateur singer... not every singer can play keyboard (and there are even less being good enough at that).. and I also don't have "starting" money (to pay studio/producer)... the cheapest way to start is by buying some midi keyboard and create music on PC.

Bogdan
PSR-SX700 on K&M-18820 stand
Playing for myself on Youtube

Offline andyg

« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2023, 09:11:53 PM »
I'd imagine that the Musician's Union (and whatever the equivalent is in other countries) would take a dim view of commercial recordings made using arrangers instead of a backing band. Replacing all those real musicians with a 'machine' - horror! They never liked organs or rhythm units iin the first place - I speak from personal experience - so as for arrangers! :(

But there again, not all musicians are union members and really don't care! :) I think you'll find a few semi-commercial recordings of 'one man bands', accompanying themselves on an arranger keyboard - made to sell to those punters listening to them where they sing and play, but not one made by a professional band.
It's not what you play, it's not how you play. It's the fact that you're playing that counts.

www.andrew-gilbert.com

Offline ugawoga

« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2023, 09:27:01 PM »
Leonard Cohen had a good go. :)
Genos, I7 computer 32 gig ram, Focusrite 6i6, Cubase controller, Focal Alpha Monitors, Yamaha DXR8 Speakers
Cubase 10, Sonarworks, Izotope.  Sampletank, Arturia and Korg software.  Now IK Mixbox

« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2023, 09:27:21 PM »
I'd imagine that the Musician's Union (and whatever the equivalent is in other countries) would take a dim view of commercial recordings made using arrangers instead of a backing band. Replacing all those real musicians with a 'machine' - horror! They never liked organs or rhythm units iin the first place - I speak from personal experience - so as for arrangers! :(

But there again, not all musicians are union members and really don't care! :) I think you'll find a few semi-commercial recordings of 'one man bands', accompanying themselves on an arranger keyboard - made to sell to those punters listening to them where they sing and play, but not one made by a professional band.
I understand. Still I feel like it depends on what the artist wants to do. And if they want to try to record on a arranger they can make it sound as best as possible.

« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2023, 09:31:03 PM »
Leonard Cohen had a good go. :)
so it seems Leonard Cohen used an arranger keyboard on all or some of his songs.

Offline ugawoga

« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2023, 10:55:54 PM »
Really ,some of the rubbish music that is around today the keyboard arranger could do wonders in the right hands
At the end of the day it is all about how you mix and master songs.
Does not matter if you use a basic Casio toy , Da, Da,Da!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DM-v3cvX8M4
« Last Edit: November 13, 2023, 11:07:40 PM by ugawoga »
Genos, I7 computer 32 gig ram, Focusrite 6i6, Cubase controller, Focal Alpha Monitors, Yamaha DXR8 Speakers
Cubase 10, Sonarworks, Izotope.  Sampletank, Arturia and Korg software.  Now IK Mixbox

Offline mikf

« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2023, 11:34:37 PM »
He asked about singer/songwriters albums. Of course what some amateurs or semi pros record at home could be on anything. But top performers - the kind of people whose albums are commercially available - are never going to be using arrangers. Doesn’t matter how good we think they can be in whoever’s hands. They are just not seen as serious instruments by these performers and studio pros.
Mike

« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2023, 12:27:00 AM »
He asked about singer/songwriters albums. Of course what some amateurs or semi pros record at home could be on anything. But top performers - the kind of people whose albums are commercially available - are never going to be using arrangers. Doesn’t matter how good we think they can be in whoever’s hands. They are just not seen as serious instruments by these performers and studio pros.
Mike
oh what about video game music: I was also curious about that too.

Offline andyg

« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2023, 09:27:29 AM »
Video game music. Originally very basic, created entirely on computer, using the computer's on-board sounds - anyone remember games on the Spectrum and Commodore 64?

I guess some of it is now created on an expensive DAW using virtual instruments, but the genre is now producing some amazing soundtrack quality music, played by real orchestras and recorded in studio - probably using an even more expensive DAW! A lot of composers will use notation software and/or a DAW and virtual instruments to make a mock up version of the piece, which can actually be brilliant and almost indistinguishable from real musicians, but again I'm sure that Musician's Union issue will come into play when it comes to recording a final version - they don't like virtual instruments! and electronic musicians any more than arranger keyboards! :)
It's not what you play, it's not how you play. It's the fact that you're playing that counts.

www.andrew-gilbert.com

Offline Divemaster

« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2023, 09:33:49 AM »
Really ,some of the rubbish music that is around today the keyboard arranger could do wonders in the right hands
At the end of the day it is all about how you mix and master songs.
Does not matter if you use a basic Casio toy , Da, Da,Da!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DM-v3cvX8M4

Well said.  🤣🤣🤣

Actually Most of the positively awful music that's made in studios these days is precisely why I bought my arranger.

Keith.

« Last Edit: November 14, 2023, 11:22:51 AM by Divemaster »
Yamaha PSR-SX700
Korg Pa5x
Technics SX-PR900 Digital Ensemble Piano
Lenovo M10 Android tablet with Lekato page turner

« Reply #13 on: November 14, 2023, 10:28:18 AM »
I know one

It is not international music but danish "dansktop" (aka dansband)
The duo, probaby not known outside of scandinavia, is very popular in Denmark with the older generation.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zhDF29d7sWE

They are using Country8Beat3 from a Genos (I'm assuming) with maybe the guitar played by a real person and some piano bits too.
The same style is called NewCountry on Tyros 5.

Compare with: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aQykOugw9fw&t=3453s

Offline Divemaster

« Reply #14 on: November 14, 2023, 11:25:49 AM »
Absolutely great. And I agree.

Many of the smaller bands and solo performers who play in small venues all over the world are hugely talented.
Google "Transatlantic Sessions" for some examples. They are one of my own favourites.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2023, 11:31:50 AM by Divemaster »
Yamaha PSR-SX700
Korg Pa5x

Offline travlin-easy

« Reply #15 on: November 14, 2023, 06:52:04 PM »
I used an arranger to record more than 600 songs,  mainly during live performances, so I could critique my performances and listen to where I needed to make improvements.

I also used the same recordings to create CDs for potential clients, which turned out to be a fantastic marketing tool. I booked lots of new clients and a large number of private parties from those CDs. Also burned recordings on to USB thumb drives for the same reasons. Some of the newer cars do not have a CD player, but do have USB drive ports for playing music.

Though I performed the nite club circuit for several years, I never made it to the top 40 list, or Las Vegas, but I did manage to make a decent living as a musician/singer/entertainer using my lowly arranger keyboard. When I did perform with a 5 piece band, I rarely made enough to cover expenses.

From my perspective, an arranger keyboard is a fantastic instrument, and in the right hands, can be used for any and all musical aspects. I have heard some of the best music ever that was created by skilled players using an arranger keyboard - music that would be considered as movie theme quality. Unfortunately, arranger keyboards and arranger keyboard entertainers get a bad rap from other musicians that in reality, are totally ignorant of what an arranger keyboard has to offer. And, for some reason, they don't seem to want to discover the features an arranger keyboard has to offer.

Just my .02 cents worth on this matter,

Gary 8)
Love Those Yammies...

The following users thanked this post: hans1966, Keyboard Master, Divemaster

Offline Divemaster

« Reply #16 on: November 15, 2023, 11:18:05 AM »
You've nailed it there Gary
I don't perform in venues any more, and didn't much anyway. But what you say is absolutely right.

I remember being in a club years ago in Manchester, and the organist was involved in an accident on his way there.
Knowing that I played, the owner asked me if I would stand in. So I did, thrown in at the deep end so to speak.
I got quite a number of other evening slots out of that, around the local area.
I was still in college, and that had to take priority.

But of course very very few players make the big stage  and many are very good indeed, but not discovered by big names.
Arranger keyboards, I think, are not seen as 'proper: instruments by some more traditional musicians. I think some of them rather snootily think they play themselves.... but what the heck.

As the man said. Find someone who cares.

Making music is what counts. Enjoyment is key.
An arranger, played well is a delight to listen to.
Sharing your music with others is enjoyable.
Enjoy whatever it is that floats your boat.

Keith

« Last Edit: November 15, 2023, 02:41:10 PM by Divemaster »
Yamaha PSR-SX700
Korg Pa5x

Offline hans1966

« Reply #17 on: November 15, 2023, 02:22:30 PM »
In my personal experience, I can say that I have used an arranger keyboard to make music production and it has been a great success.

The last thing I did was musical arrangements of well-known songs for imitators of famous singers like Raphael, Juan Gabriel and others, all this with the SX900

Greetings

Hans
"Enjoying my SX600, and moving step by step through the journey of life"

Offline travlin-easy

« Reply #18 on: November 15, 2023, 06:08:41 PM »
Ironically, most of the individuals that thumb their noses at arranger keyboards and players are attending our performances - THEY'RE NOT WORKING!

When I was living on my sailboat in the Florida Keys, I was working 6 nights a week at the local restaurants and clubs. I could have worked every night, but wanted at least one night off to go fishing, which supplemented my food budget. Nothing better for dinner than fresh grilled spiny lobster, mangrove snapper, yellowtail snapper, grouper, etc... Yes, I had a gas grill mounted on the safety rail of the back of the boat. It was used a lot and unless the weather was nasty, it remained on the rail.

All the best,

Gary 8)
Love Those Yammies...

« Reply #19 on: November 21, 2023, 06:09:04 PM »
Very cool. That’s great to know.

Offline RoyceM

« Reply #20 on: November 21, 2023, 07:24:42 PM »
Sometimes I could swear that some commercials on our local radio stations used arranger keyboards playing very badly written copy.

- Royce
DGX-305, Roland E60, S900, S910, S975, Center Point Stereo Spacestation V.3, Bose L1 Compact
PSR Performer page