Author Topic: Pitch bend at MFC10 to Genos  (Read 1348 times)

Offline jogger165

Pitch bend at MFC10 to Genos
« on: November 06, 2023, 05:48:33 PM »
Hello,
I 'm looking for an instruction, how to use Pitch bend function with  foot regulator of MFC10. The setting for Pitch Bend is explained in MFC10 operation manual, but I couln't find any settings for external foot controler on Genos (2) Midi-Interface. Is anybody there with a solution?
Thanks in advance.

Offline overover

Re: Pitch bend at MFC10 to Genos
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2023, 06:28:26 PM »
Welcome to the PSR Tutorial Forum, jogger165!

You can find the settings for a connected external MIDI foot controller such as the MFC10 in “Menu > MIDI > External Controller” on the Genos.

The most important settings there are the MIDI Port used (depending on whether the MIDI OUT is connected to the Genos MIDI A IN or B IN) and the MIDI Channel (the Transmit channel set on the MFC10).

If you haven't already, please first read the chapter "External Controller—MIDI Controller Setting" in the Genos Reference Manual, pages 148 - 151. This should help you.

If you don't have the Reference Manual yet, you can download it here:
>>> https://uk.yamaha.com/en/products/musical_instruments/keyboards/arranger_workstations/genos/downloads.html

Best regards,
Chris
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.
➪ Never put the manual too far away: There's more in it than you think! ;-)

Offline Rick D.

« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2023, 09:57:24 AM »
Jogger165,

I was not able to get the foot pedal of the MFC10n to work with pitch bend.

Here is a link to the MFC10 Manual if you don't have it. Maybe you can figure it out.

https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/1tyxztlwgbh9843kqe4jt/mfc10e.pdf?rlkey=zpkid87jlvdmidtxa5kv4v9g6&dl=0

I ended up using FC-7 pedal for pitch bend.

Let us know if you get it to work with MFC10 pedal.

Rick D.

Offline Patt22

« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2023, 10:32:29 AM »
This effect works very well with a pedal connected to the Genos sockets, adjusting it as you wish. What's more, it can be integrated into a registration, so you can reprogram the same pedal with another effect on the next registration ...
Genos-mfc10-GroovyBand Live Platinium-VoiceLive3X-DRX15- UI24R- HF SM35 ...

Music is a Wave, choose the right Frequency to touch the Soul of those who listen to you ...

Offline Rick D.

« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2023, 11:13:54 AM »
Patt,

The OP is trying to get pitch bend to work with the pedal that is part of the MFC10.

As mentioned above, I use an FC-7 separate pedal to control pitch bend thru the Genos.

Rick D.

Offline jogger165

« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2023, 04:51:05 PM »
Thank you all for the information.
Of course I read the Genos reference manual as well as the MCF10 owners manual. And I also set the Midi address equal on Genos and MFC10 .
I could use one of the 3 sockets on Genos for externer Foot Switch or Foot Controller, but I would like to use the foot controller from MFC for pitch bend, to avoid the need of a second foot controller. So I have to try fpr myself to come to a solution,
Nevertheless, thanks to everybody, who tried to help.
Regards Jogger

Offline Rick D.

« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2023, 01:15:29 AM »
Jogger,

It was much easier to set up on the Tyros keyboards. Not sure why they eliminated the easy setup and for that matter why they discontinued the MFC10 altogether.

Rick D.

Offline Patt22

« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2023, 04:55:07 PM »
I come back to my post, if the desired functionality is not present in the drop-down "Function" assigned cc#7 ( volume ) , I just checked ... not seen, nor the similar "Glide"!

On the other hand, Glide, like Pitch Ben, is in the Genos pedal options...
Direct Access + pedal from 1~3 , you get to the assignable screen, then in the orange box change the function displayed by the Glide or Pitch Ben and you'll see the settings available at the bottom of the screen!

I put the Glide on a small pedal with polarity when I need it.

For me, it's more interesting to use like this  it as it's programmed into registrations from time to time ... on the Mfc10 it's not, it's too rigid, and I prefer the volume for the right hand on the Mfc.

When the solution isn't available ... we go to plan B etc ...
« Last Edit: November 08, 2023, 11:19:16 PM by Patt22 »
Genos-mfc10-GroovyBand Live Platinium-VoiceLive3X-DRX15- UI24R- HF SM35 ...

Music is a Wave, choose the right Frequency to touch the Soul of those who listen to you ...

Offline andyg

« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2023, 06:35:01 PM »
Glide is very useful, as a lot of instrumental pitch bends are a semitone or thereabouts.

Set 'down' speed to 1 and 'up' speed to 2. If you tap the pedal quickly you get a quick glide and if you do so more slowly, holding it down for a fraction of a second, you can get a slow bend. Takes a little practice to hit the pedal at the right time and in the right way (as it has done ever since Lowrey invented Glide over 60 years ago) but can be very effective. I put that to good use in pieces like 'Sleepwalk', which needs fast and slow bends.

Kudos to anyone using an FC-7 for pitch bend. In the wrong hands (or, more correctly, under the wrong foot!) it can be very imprecise, depending on how it's used. Been there, tried it, didn't like it and so never recommend it to students. They get taught to glide! :)
It's not what you play, it's not how you play. It's the fact that you're playing that counts.

www.andrew-gilbert.com