Author Topic: Hello and Noob Question  (Read 1059 times)

Offline Hangdog Cat

Hello and Noob Question
« on: November 06, 2023, 05:27:24 PM »
Hello from a new SX-900 owner in NE Pennsylvania, USA.

I've downloaded some of the free styles made available via this forum (thank you), and would like to buy at least one of the $25 sets. But I cannot figure out how load them into the keyboard. I have the Yamaha Expansion Manager, and I've been able to load into it a bunch of the expansions put out by Yamaha, but the free styles I downloaded here won't load into the YEM.

I'm sure this should be trivially easy. What am I missing?

Thanks!

Offline Duurduur

Re: Hello and Noob Question
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2023, 05:50:39 PM »
Put the styles on a USB stick and from there you can load styles.
Yamaha PSR-SX900
Yamaha PSR E463
Logitech Z623 Speakersystem

The following users thanked this post: colas musique, Hangdog Cat

Offline overover

« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2023, 06:03:24 PM »
Welcome to the PSR Tutorial Forum, Hangdog Cat! I wish you a lot of fun and joy with your PSR-SX900.

Playing external styles is very easy:

- First unzip (unzip) the downloaded zip file(s) on your computer so that you have one or more folders in which the style files are located. (Style files, for example, have the extensions .sty, .prs, .sst, .fps).
- Copy these folders with the styles onto a USB stick and connect it to the SX900.
- In the SX900 Home display, touch the name of the current style to open the Style Selection display. There touch "User > USB1" to display the folders and files on the USB stick.
- Touch the desired folder to open it and touch the desired style to load it. Close the Style Selection display (touch the X icon or press the EXIT button).
- Now you can play the style as usual. :)

By the way, you can also copy frequently required styles from the USB stick to the internal User drive and then use them from there in the future. This works via "File > Copy" in the Style Selection display. However, it is not necessary, i.e. you can also work exclusively with the USB stick.

Hope this helps!

All the best from Germany,
Chris
« Last Edit: November 06, 2023, 06:05:04 PM by overover »
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.
➪ Never put the manual too far away: There's more in it than you think! ;-)

The following users thanked this post: YammyFan, Hangdog Cat

Offline Hangdog Cat

« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2023, 06:28:20 PM »
Many thanks to both of you.

Does ordering a $25 set make me a supporting member, or is that separate contribution?

Offline overover

« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2023, 07:25:28 PM »
Many thanks to both of you.

Does ordering a $25 set make me a supporting member, or is that separate contribution?

Thanks for your quick feedback, Hangdog Cat!

Regarding the "Supporting Member" status, it is best to contact our admin Roger Brenizer via PM (Personal Message). To do this, please click on the following link:
>>> https://www.psrtutorial.com/forum/index.php?action=pm;sa=send;u=25862

Best regards,
Chris
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.

Offline Hangdog Cat

« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2023, 07:42:41 PM »
Done!

Thanks.

Offline overover

« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2023, 08:19:15 PM »

Offline Roger Brenizer

« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2023, 12:14:20 AM »
Hi Hangdog,

Welcome to the forum and thank you for becoming a member. I saw your private message asking about how to become a "Supporting Member" and will answer you in this reply.

I’m sure you'll learn a lot about your new PSR-SX900 keyboard here on our forum and will experience many pleasurable hours playing it.

You’ll want to be sure to visit the Home page and check out some of the tutorials you will find links to there. The following link will take you to the Home page of the website:

https://psrtutorial.com/

Should you later decide to become a supporting member, which will include lifetime membership, other forum boards will become available to you, as well as a wealth of additional musical knowledge; however, there is absolutely no obligation to do so. You may also use the following link to discover the full benefit of becoming a Supporting Member of the PSR Tutorial.

https://www.psrtutorial.com/forum/index.php/topic,15536.0.html

You’ll also gain access to an Excel Song Index database, made available to supporting members by our good friend, Peter (XeeniX) and maintained by another good friend, Runner4Fun, which presently contains 110,248 song titles in 2,887 indexed books. This index is updated often.

In lieu of making a donation only, you may also order any of the website’s resources, which can be found at the following link:

https://psrtutorial.com/cdrom/productsum.html

Joe Waters updated “Supporting the PSR Tutorial”, on August 27, 2017, which can be found here:

https://psrtutorial.com/cdrom/index.html

We’re so glad you've decided to become a member and very happy you've decided to become a part of this great forum family. If you have any questions, then please just ask. Many of our members are always very willing to help you.
"Music Is My Life"
My best regards,
Roger

(The older I get...the better I used to be...LOL!!!)
Roger’s PSR Performer Page

Offline mikf

« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2024, 02:58:15 AM »
Hangdog, you may want to correct your local time on your profile, which is probably -5 for Pennsylvania.
Mike

Offline pedro_pedroc

« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2024, 07:51:55 PM »
Hello, HangDog.

Congrats to have a yamaha arranger.
You can watch my YouTube videos - I have a lot of songs, mostly recorded with my own custom styles.
A lot of people like to watch the videos, learning how to use and how to play an arranger keyboard.

My YT channel is below my signature.
Welcome to this forum...

I have a recent video of how to copy STY files to your keyboard. Take a look at:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g1K0e-nmeng

Pedro