Author Topic: Yamaha Style Names and Locations  (Read 1400 times)

Offline rattley

Yamaha Style Names and Locations
« on: October 29, 2023, 06:00:52 AM »
Hello!

Earlier this year I have taken on the task of organizing my styles "collection".  I'm finding so many of the same styles have different names and even some with exact names but the style is different.  I wonder if Yamaha uses rhyme or reason when naming and renaming styles?  Just an observation.................   

My Genos has a country folder   My Dad's sx900 doesn't. Country styles are in the rock folder.  BigBand styles aren't necessarily in their own folders either.  I think they are in the jazz folder on my Genos. So many styles can do different genres     I better stick to one keyboard!        -charley

OT   I was wondering if there is any way to find out what style was used when recording either midi or wav?  I have a bunch of songs I made but can't remember what styles were used.   thanks.

Offline Toril S

Re: Yamaha Style Names and Locations
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2023, 12:26:20 PM »
No, there is really no system to the grouping of styles anymore. So I make my own system in folders. For question 2: Yes, if the MIDI was recorded with a preset style, the keyboard will load the style when you call up the MIDI song. The bad news is that it will not do that if it is an imported style. And not if you play a wave file.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2023, 12:28:39 PM by Toril S »
Toril S

Genos, Tyros 5, PSR S975, PSR 2100
and PSR-47.
Former keyboards: PSR-S970.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCLVwWdb36Yd3LMBjAnm6pTQ?view_as=subscriber

Toril's PSR Performer Page

Offline EileenL

« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2023, 12:42:20 PM »
When I record a midi file with a third party style I always save that style in my song folder and sometimes I give the style the song title to make it easier to find. Been doing this for years.

Offline ton37

« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2023, 01:46:55 PM »
Yes, what @Toril and @EleenL wrote is correct. I've given up trying to catalog thousands of styles somehow. Indeed, Yamaha makes a mess of housing the styles. Unable to follow. Like @EiLeenL. I do something similar: just create a folder with the name of the song you want to 'store'. In that folder you can then place the styles, midi, sheet music, lyrics, registrations, pads, waves, etc. that you use for that song. These can easily be found via the MS Explorer and/or the keyboard. It remains a time-consuming method, but I have not yet discovered another way that works for me.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2023, 02:18:55 PM by ton37 »
My best regards,
Ton

Offline rattley

« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2023, 09:55:25 PM »
Yes!  My lack of record keeping has caught up with me.  I will do as you do!  Thanks.  -charley

The following users thanked this post: Stuart L

Offline Toril S

« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2023, 06:53:05 PM »
I also do as Eileen does, BUT sometimes I forget, and have a hard time finding the style I used. I then do ths: i listen to the MID to find out how the style sounds. If it is a waltz I type the word waltz in the search box, and my Genos calls up all the waltz styles. I then audition them and often find the right one this way. Sometimes not, so I am being more careful to save the style in the right folder as soon as the song is recorded!!
« Last Edit: October 30, 2023, 06:54:58 PM by Toril S »
Toril S

and PSR-47.

Offline travlin-easy

« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2023, 06:24:23 PM »
Many years ago, I solved this problem by renaming those styles with song titles that the style was suitable. Made life a lot easier, and this is how I created my series of Gig Discs.

Gary 8)
Love Those Yammies...

The following users thanked this post: Dave Shively

Offline Toril S

« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2023, 11:31:09 PM »
Yes, Gary, I followed your excellent advice several years ago, so my styles are named with the song title. But sometimes I find a nice style, compose a song, and forget to edit and name the style at once. BTW, your gig disk is fantastic, you have done - and do- a lot for your friends in this forum!!
Toril S

and PSR-47.

Offline travlin-easy

« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2023, 12:08:16 AM »
Thanks Toril Glad I am still able to contribute - even at this advanced age.

All the best

Gary  8)
Love Those Yammies...