Author Topic: [SOLVED] How do midi channels work on the PSR E-463?  (Read 779 times)

Offline rough

[SOLVED] How do midi channels work on the PSR E-463?
« on: October 27, 2023, 05:40:19 PM »
Hello all
It seems that the PSR-E463 (despite not being a real midi multitrack sound module) can have some midi capabilities and therefore should be usable as a sound module and midi transmitter/receiver with an external DAW or midi sequencer.

More specifically it seems that melody tracks 1-5 should receive and trasmit from/to midi channels 1-7 while the rhythm+ACMP from/to midi channels 8-16.

Using midi channel 1 is easy since that is the default channel (main voice), my problem is how to tell the instruments to send data on channel 2, and all the following ones?

And then of course (but that’s another step) how to assign proper tones to channels 2-7 during the playback/receiving phase (for channel 1, it should be sufficient to select another main voice on the keyboard).

Should I go through the built-in 6 tracks recorder? Is this the right way to “arm” midi tracks above 1? How exactly?
Or/and should I change the Keyboard OUT and Song OUT function settings?

I tried different combinations but I could not find a way to send the external DAW or midi sequencer any data/note on channel 2 or above when recording tracks beyond the first. It seems that the E463 can only send data on channel 1. But I don’t think that is true because you can actually record 16 multitracks midi songs using the internal midi recorder.

Thanks a lot!
« Last Edit: October 28, 2023, 05:06:24 PM by rough »
My YouTube cover channel
https://www.youtube.com/@adr3nokrome

Offline rough

Re: [SOLVED] How do midi channels work on the PSR E-463?
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2023, 08:55:18 AM »
After some trial and error I found that the E463 keyboard can only transmit on channel 1, however in song mode the keyboard receives data on any midi channel 1-16 (only 1-5 for the melody).
So that the external midi device must be setup to receive data always on channel 1 for the recording phase, while the transmit channels must then be different for each track so that 1-5. At that point the E463 will playback the midi song from the external device using the voices selected for tracks 1-5 in its internal recorder (always song mode).
Clearly, the biggest advantage of using an external midi recorder is much higher editing capabilities vs. the E463 recorder, i.e. quantize, cut/copy/paste/insert/delete beats, punch-in and overdubs, repetition of patterns, loops etc…
It’s obviously possible to export the full song all at once from the E463 in .SMF format at the end of the recording but personally I prefer to record and edit each single track on an external midi device one by one directly after any recording. So that i.e. by playing only a 4-beat arpeggio on the E463, I then can have a perfectly quantized background repeated for maybe all the lenght of the song on which I can try to build something else…
I’m using an iPad (not PC) and I find myself very well with SAND app, cheap and very simple to use, it is great with step and pattern composition.
The good of pairing the keyboard with an iPad (or any other tablet) is that is like working directly on a much bigger and more comfortable keyboard display in real time.
I hope this can help those who are interested!

Offline overover

Re: [SOLVED] How do midi channels work on the PSR E-463?
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2023, 05:08:11 PM »
Thank you for this detailed information, rough!

Best regards,
Chris
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.
➪ Never put the manual too far away: There's more in it than you think! ;-)