Author Topic: Promises Promises!  (Read 2640 times)

Offline rattley

Promises Promises!
« on: October 25, 2023, 03:09:46 AM »
Hello.

Since I have become so exuberant over the Genos II release now I wonder...............

Will Yamaha offer any better content support in the future?  I loved that Superior Pack Yamaha gave us during the pandemic.  But one style pack freebie in 6 years??  They did offer a bunch of YEM stuff for free. Even when Yamaha had the IDC connect method of style purchase their offerings were far from happening often.  At least YamahaMusicSoft kept me fueled with new stuff.

The Genos II is gonna offer more than new styles. I'm hoping the audio quality is improved. As exiting as a Genos II sounds I wonder if I could have been satisfied with just a few more of those Superior Packs released at regular intervals. Something to look forward too.  New styles make my keyboard sound 'fresh".   I like fresh !!    -charley

The following users thanked this post: Dave Shively

Offline BogdanH

Re: Promises Promises!
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2023, 08:20:58 AM »
Of course it would be "nice" if... But we need to be realistic: we pay for what's in the box and that's all. Everything that we eventually get later, is a bonus (part of advertising actually) or is necessary for a product to function as intended (i.e. firmware update). I'm not defending Yamaha, but that's how it is.
Means, if newly released keyboard isn't "fresh" enough for me (compared to what I have), then I just won't buy it.

Bogdan
PSR-SX700 on K&M-18820 stand
Playing for myself on Youtube

Offline ton37

« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2023, 08:37:35 AM »
Agree, but for now we've only seen the box, which seems big ( holding a cameraman and a keyboard). So the brown box is of good quality with brown tape and could hold even a Px5a .... hopefully be continued or will there be  only 1 teaser ?  ;)
My best regards,
Ton

Offline ugawoga

« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2023, 08:38:15 AM »
All we need is an easier program for computer to make Styles and edit sound.
There would then be no need for Extra packs.
I hope packs and Yem deleted and a have a decent Style program and load sounds straight into the Genos 2  singularly or in banks. :)
Genos, I7 computer 32 gig ram, Focusrite 6i6, Cubase controller, Focal Alpha Monitors, Yamaha DXR8 Speakers
Cubase 10, Sonarworks, Izotope.  Sampletank, Arturia and Korg software.  Now IK Mixbox

Offline Oldden

« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2023, 09:08:17 AM »
Not all software is kept up I’m afraid. Remember Yamaha Visual Arranger, XG works and similar programs. Nice if there was someone clever who who want to make an editing program just for Yamaha styles, voices and the rest to run on windows or apple. There would be no money to be made from it so Yamaha would never do it. Cubase to me is more of a general purpose DAW, and not specifically designed for Yamaha keyboards. So we just manage the way we do unless there is something out there now.

Offline EileenL

« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2023, 12:36:12 PM »
If Yamaha do away with the YEM and have a new system then I doubt we will be able to use packs we have collected over the years.

Offline ton37

« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2023, 01:00:10 PM »
You're right to notice that @EleenL., that would be terrible. But I expect there are smart software developers who make it possible to prevent that... (downward compatible) ;)
My best regards,
Ton

Offline pjd

« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2023, 06:38:23 PM »
Of course it would be "nice" if... But we need to be realistic: we pay for what's in the box and that's all. Everything that we eventually get later, is a bonus (part of advertising actually) or is necessary for a product to function as intended (i.e. firmware update). I'm not defending Yamaha, but that's how it is.
Means, if newly released keyboard isn't "fresh" enough for me (compared to what I have), then I just won't buy it.

Amen, Bogdan!

Not just this forum, but I see wishful thinking on other forums, too. From here on in, the instrument either does the job right out of the box, or forget it! Or, an update -- which I can download immediately -- does the job. That's it. No wishes. No prayers.

Genos Mk I is doing a good job for me and I'll be sticking with it. I wish everyone happiness and satisfaction with G2!  :)

-- pj

Offline ton37

« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2023, 06:51:24 PM »
Mmm.. @pjd: something has triggered you to end up with a Genos 1 (current best), I wonder if you will be triggered again in some time to buy the Genos 2 ( future best) after all....  ;D ;D
My best regards,
Ton

Offline Danny1972

« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2023, 07:20:55 PM »
If Yamaha do away with the YEM and have a new system then I doubt we will be able to use packs we have collected over the years.

Yamaha could create something like Korg did to convert Pa4x files to use in Pa5x. This is actually built into the Pa5x OS and is a main option from the touch screen. The OS on the Pa5x is completely different to all previous Korgs, so if Yamaha were to do the same it could be possible to still preserve legacy stuff. If they really wanted to that is. I think the fact that all packs were given for free plus no new ones being released is possibly a strong indicator that Yamaha may change the system altogether, I hope so anyway as I think YEM wasn't the best idea & quite tedious. It should all be done from the keyboard without also needing a computer. Just my opinion of course.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2023, 07:34:13 PM by Danny1972 »

Offline ugawoga

« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2023, 09:17:39 PM »
It would be great to have banks of sound or individual loads
I would think that their would be a format converter if so
Yem is so tacky and cumbersome in my view :P
« Last Edit: October 25, 2023, 09:19:19 PM by ugawoga »
Genos, I7 computer 32 gig ram, Focusrite 6i6, Cubase controller, Focal Alpha Monitors, Yamaha DXR8 Speakers
Cubase 10, Sonarworks, Izotope.  Sampletank, Arturia and Korg software.  Now IK Mixbox

Offline pjd

« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2023, 12:27:32 AM »
Mmm.. @pjd: something has triggered you to end up with a Genos 1 (current best), I wonder if you will be triggered again in some time to buy the Genos 2 ( future best) after all....  ;D ;D

Hi Ton --

I never say "Never."  ;D

I currently have an order for a Clavinova CSP-170. Yep, there is a new CSP-200 series. However, the CSP-100 series is being closed out like Genos (gen 1) at a reduced price.

It's a matter of need and priorities -- I need a good piano action/sound for practice. CSP-170 might be one of the last Clavinovas with the NWX keyboard...

Good luck to everyone! I remain very interested about the new G2.

-- pj

Online Michael Trigoboff

« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2023, 01:23:09 AM »
I would bet that whatever replaces YEM will be backwards compatible.
retired software developer and Computer Science instructor
Grateful Deadhead emeritus

"He had decided to live forever or die in the attempt."
-- Joseph Heller, Catch-22

Online Michael Trigoboff

« Reply #13 on: October 26, 2023, 01:26:30 AM »
Genos Mk I is doing a good job for me and I'll be sticking with it. I wish everyone happiness and satisfaction with G2!  :)

Until you find out that Genos 2 includes some new feature that you just have to have…  :D
retired software developer and Computer Science instructor
Grateful Deadhead emeritus

"He had decided to live forever or die in the attempt."
-- Joseph Heller, Catch-22

Offline EileenL

« Reply #14 on: October 26, 2023, 03:56:39 PM »
YEM was not that bad once you got used to it and having 3Gb of memory means most of us only had to load once for the sounds we really were going to use.