Author Topic: [EDITED] Understading how AUDIO-OUT works with AUX-IN external signal  (Read 1196 times)

Offline rough

Hi all,

this is what I have understood about connecting an external synth (a Roland Juno Di in my case) to the AUX-IN jack of my keyboard (a PSR-E463 in my case):
a) I can hear the synth playing from the speakers of the keyboard
b) I can record the external synth to audio format on a USB stick, but....
c) ...I cannot also record to audio format any SONG previously created on my PSR-E463 (it seems I have to connect an external PC/laptop/DAW)

Now my latest question is: once I connect an external instrument to the PSR-E463 through the AUX-IN jack, than what audio signals are sent from the AUDIO OUT jack of the PSR-E463 keyboard to any external devices? only the PSR-E463 sound, or the external instrument/synth too?

I'm asking this because it will affect my setup as long as I want to record to audio format....
- if both instruments (PSR-E463 and the external synth) are sent from the AUDIO OUT jack, then I just need a basic DAW or Laptop since I already have the "mix"
- if only the PSR-E463 signal is sent from the AUDIO OUT jack, then I need a small external mixer to host both instruments and then connect this mixer to a PC/DAW for audio recording (and of course to phones too, for monitoring purpose)....

Thanks for your help!

(note: I edited my original post after I did some researches here in the forum...)
« Last Edit: October 24, 2023, 01:58:16 PM by rough »
My YouTube cover channel
https://www.youtube.com/@adr3nokrome

Offline overover

Re: [EDITED] Understading how AUDIO-OUT works with AUX-IN external signal
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2023, 03:44:04 PM »
Hi rough,

According to the manual, with the E363 (and also with the E373) it is apparently not possible to play a MIDI file and record it on the USB stick at the same time with the internal audio recorder.

The "Phones/Output" jack of the E463 always delivers the overall signal (song or style + keyboard performance + signal fed in via AUX IN), i.e. everything you hear through the internal speakers. Using a suitable audio cable (6.3 mm stereo phone plug on the E463 side), you could record this overall signal with an external audio recorder or in a DAW (via an external audio interface connected the computer). Please note, however, that when you insert a plug into the E463's Phones/Outout jack, the internal speakers will automatically shut off.

By the way, the E463 also has an internal USB Audio interface. If you connect the USB-to-Host terminal directly to the computer with a USB type "AB" cable, you should be able to record the E463's main signal there with a DAW or another suitable audio recording program. Please note that the Yamaha Steinberg USB Driver must be installed on Windows computers and that the Audio Loopback function on the E463 should be set to OFF when using a DAW.

Hope this helps!

Best regards,
Chris
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.
➪ Never put the manual too far away: There's more in it than you think! ;-)

Offline rough

« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2023, 04:22:19 PM »
Hi rough,

According to the manual, with the E363 (and also with the E373) it is apparently not possible to play a MIDI file and record it on the USB stick at the same time with the internal audio recorder.

The "Phones/Output" jack of the E463 always delivers the overall signal (song or style + keyboard performance + signal fed in via AUX IN), i.e. everything you hear through the internal speakers. Using a suitable audio cable (6.3 mm stereo phone plug on the E463 side), you could record this overall signal with an external audio recorder or in a DAW (via an external audio interface connected the computer). Please note, however, that when you insert a plug into the E463's Phones/Outout jack, the internal speakers will automatically shut off.

By the way, the E463 also has an internal USB Audio interface. If you connect the USB-to-Host terminal directly to the computer with a USB type "AB" cable, you should be able to record the E463's main signal there with a DAW or another suitable audio recording program. Please note that the Yamaha Steinberg USB Driver must be installed on Windows computers and that the Audio Loopback function on the E463 should be set to OFF when using a DAW.

Hope this helps!

Best regards,
Chris

Thanks a lot Chris
the misunderstanding about song recording comes since I had in mind that when you record a song with the built-in 6 tracks sequencer, that is saved already in audio format just like on a normal DAW, and not in MIDI format. Which is apparently the opposite.
That is because with the built-in 6-tracks recorder you cannot do track editing, quantizing, copy/paste etc., so that I though it was a simple audio DAW recorder just like a Tascam or so....
Actually the only additional feature that the 6-tracks sequencer has compared to a normal digital audio recorder is the beat count..... and the tempo. Other than that I think it just works like a tape!

Thanks again!
My YouTube cover channel
https://www.youtube.com/@adr3nokrome

Offline overover

« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2023, 07:25:43 PM »
Hi rough,

The biggest advantage if you initially record in MIDI format is that you can later change/edit EVERYTHING (i.e. every single MIDI event) if necessary. The MIDI editing options are very limited directly on PSR-E models, but you can always export a recorded User Song as a standard MIDI file (.mid) to a USB stick and then post-process/edit this MIDI file on the computer.

Almost all DAW programs also have good MIDI editors (in addition to Audio). The PC (Windows) program “MixMaster” is also highly recommended in this regard. It is important that the computer is connected to the keyboard via a USB cable, so that the keyboard's MIDI tone generator is used for playback.
>>> https://psrtutorial.com/MB/EV_Files/mixmaster.html

Best regards,
Chris
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.
➪ Never put the manual too far away: There's more in it than you think! ;-)

The following users thanked this post: rough