Author Topic: New pianos for GENOS2?  (Read 2531 times)

Offline pjd

New pianos for GENOS2?
« on: October 12, 2023, 06:53:16 PM »
Montage M received several acoustic (AP) and electric (EP) pianos over Montage/MODX:

http://sandsoftwaresound.net/montage-m-aps-and-eps/

In another significant Montage M development, Montage M allows up to 128 elements per part (formerly 8 elements). This improvement enables detailed, multi-strike pianos in a single part (voice).

If GENOS2 adopts the same technology, it would allow deeper, more detailed acoustic and electric pianos. In the past, the 8 element restriction has limited the number of velocity layers and sounds (e.g., key noise) in a Genos/PSR voice. For example, the full, Montage 9 strike level CFX cannot be implemented in a single 8 element Genos/PSR voice. Remove the 8 element limit and a full 9 strike CFX becomes possible within a single voice.

IMHO, GENOS2 without detailed CFX and Bösendorfer Imperial is malpractice.

All the best -- pj

http://sandsoftwaresound.net/yamaha-piano-voice-programming/
« Last Edit: October 12, 2023, 06:54:28 PM by pjd »

Offline Amwilburn

Re: New pianos for GENOS2?
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2023, 07:05:04 PM »
Yes that would absolutely be malpractice.

Fun fact: using the multiple on board engines, the Montage M is capable of 400 polyphony!!
But the MontageM8 price is double the MODx8+ price  :o

Mark

Offline p$manK32

« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2023, 08:41:31 PM »
pj,

Let us know the results of your MontageM waveform list analysis. I took a look at the new Performance list, and while you can't tell much about waveforms from that list, I do see a bunch of new Performances scattered about. I happen to like a nice selection of human choirs and I notice that the choir Performances in MontageM are basically unchanged from the old Montage/MODX. That's not good. I can get more variety of choir voices from expansion packs on my SX900. I recall not one vendor offered an expansion choir library for MODX when I had that keyboard.

So aside from the new analog engine, it appears to me the new Montage is not particularly ground breaking with new AWM2 waveforms? with the exception of the added/improved pianos? I am wondering if all the extra GB of waveform data is mainly taken up by new pianos and new analog sounds. It's hard to know for sure without trying out the Performances and analyzing the new waveform list.

Rich
« Last Edit: October 13, 2023, 08:02:53 PM by p$manK32 »
SX900, MODX7+

« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2023, 10:09:15 PM »
A professional sample library (300 grand) costs $149. It has 32 velocity layers and a lot of microphone options to choose from. I don't understand why Yamaha keyboard pianos have few layers.

Offline jimlaing

« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2023, 10:43:50 PM »
In one of the videos on the new Montage, they demo'd the new Tympani and new Chimes (which do sound great) - sounds that at least on the Tyros and Genos, are really outdated and don't seem to have been updated in many years.  So, that could mean that the new Montage has a bunch of brand-new waveforms (Samples) in it, in addition to the new pianos?   -Jim
Raleigh, NC, USA / Genos / Tyros5-61 / Lucas Nana 600 / other stuff

Offline pjd

« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2023, 12:28:42 AM »
In one of the videos on the new Montage, they demo'd the new Tympani and new Chimes (which do sound great) - sounds that at least on the Tyros and Genos, are really outdated and don't seem to have been updated in many years.  So, that could mean that the new Montage has a bunch of brand-new waveforms (Samples) in it, in addition to the new pianos?   -Jim

Hi Jim, Rich and Mark --

Saw that TamTam is new, too.

On the other hand, Montage M finally got Kino Strings (now called "Cinema Strings" on Montage M). Goes back to another discussion/thread. Sometimes the synth flagship is ahead WRT waveforms, sometimes the TOTL arranger is ahead. Yamaha is always at work and generally ships what is ready to ship.

Genos is still ahead of Montage M on pipe organ waveforms. Weird because the CKs (!) received the Genos pipe organs and some of the Clavinovas have the top pipe organs. too.

Rich, I will continue browsing and summarizing new waveforms. I won't look at everything simply because there is too much (especially percussion and other noise makers).

All the best -- pj

Offline bpsafran

« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2023, 10:34:49 AM »
Are the Genos pipe, theatre and home organs the
same waveforms and voices as Organ World on
the Tyros5.

Thanks

Offline EileenL

« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2023, 11:28:51 AM »
Yes Organ world organs are still on the Genos.

Offline ugawoga

« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2023, 01:11:18 PM »
Hi Eileen
The best thing Genos 2 could offer is more space for samples .
Seamless switching.
A great stylemaker
Improve Strings , and Guitars, electric and acoustic.Maybe organs for some and pianos
Printed buttons inside button like the Tyros.
Step record your own styles (We are limited by factory styles).
That would do it for me :)

Well, i did think about getting a Ipad 12.9 for reading music, but i had a great think  (dangerous  that). ;D

I purchased a Asus Zenbook for  £1000 just over and this flips back to stand on music stand or even more brainier a cook book wooden stand for £20.
The drawback is that the back of a Zenbook laptop can get quite warm.
Then i had a massive Brains  moment and ping, i thought why not a 20 inch monitor to get sheet music
A4 roughly. It has HDMI both ends.

Now i can have sheet music the size i want,  Plug the laptop into my 50inch front room tv to watch Swindon Town any time,use word and printing and watch the 10 '0' Clock news in bed plus music on the go anywhere as the ZEN is really powerful.
I do not go to bed at 10pm mainly, but i have had to dig down 150 mm all over my driveway and re- stone everything after putting down weed supressant and that has put me to bed quite early lately. :-[ ::) ;D
"All fun ain't it"

All the best
John :)

People are wondering  what has driveways got to to with the Genos!!!!
Me, i have not got a clue, but my poor old back hurts just the same as waiting for this new Genos 8)
« Last Edit: October 15, 2023, 01:16:02 PM by ugawoga »
Genos, I7 computer 32 gig ram, Focusrite 6i6, Cubase controller, Focal Alpha Monitors, Yamaha DXR8 Speakers
Cubase 10, Sonarworks, Izotope.  Sampletank, Arturia and Korg software.  Now IK Mixbox

Offline EileenL

« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2023, 02:59:08 PM »
Yes John,
  I would be happy if we could edit existing styles with out having to delete the content first. The only track you can do this on is track10 for drums. I agree some of the new strings are a little harsh if you are not into real orchestral stuff.
  Ah well we must wait and see.

Offline ugawoga

« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2023, 03:21:31 PM »
Hi Eileen
What you are really saying is that the Genos needs a piano roll like in cubase .
It would be doable as the Genos is a computer really. Hope the Genos new screen is also bigger.
If you could see the notes placements you could move them where you want on each track or add or subtract notes.
Yes a style piano roll would be great. :)

New strings would be great and you are right some are harsh.
if you sweep the freuency in Cubase there are some horrid noises (Resonanses) in there and you can pull them down out of the sound.
The Yamaha Genos sound can only get better.
The trouble is delving deeper into Cubase you see all the problems that satisfied keyboard owners do not see or hear have without a computer and are happy with that.
Well Eileen, i am slowly conquering the mix. It is quite an uphill struggle though.Great fun also learning.
I do hope the sounds have been upgraded.
Vst instruments are superior to the Genos and only need tickling to your liking. The clarity of Arturia and Korg vst's is astounding.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2023, 03:39:26 PM by ugawoga »
Genos, I7 computer 32 gig ram, Focusrite 6i6, Cubase controller, Focal Alpha Monitors, Yamaha DXR8 Speakers
Cubase 10, Sonarworks, Izotope.  Sampletank, Arturia and Korg software.  Now IK Mixbox

Offline EileenL

« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2023, 03:32:06 PM »
No John a Piano Roll screen is not necessary as you can press Step record and get into the track to see the notes and correct, change volume, Add reverb, Alter panning or delete them. At present you can only do this with Drum track.

Offline ugawoga

« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2023, 03:44:18 PM »
Hi Eileen
Yes you see a list and that is sort of ok.
It would be great to see things visually because it would also be faster to edit and go to.
It is great just to drag and drop note blocks delete move them about. :)

The following users thanked this post: hans1966

Offline maartenb

« Reply #13 on: October 16, 2023, 07:00:44 AM »
I think most people, who need precise recording and editing, use a DAW for that.

Even if there are cases where a full on-board sequencer would be useful, it would take quite a bit of development resources that can be better utilized for new features.

Maarten

Offline ugawoga

« Reply #14 on: October 16, 2023, 08:27:07 AM »
Hi Maarten

I see on one of the fake videos  from AABS it shows a piano roll screen on the new Genos.
It would be handy even for the people without a computer.
I personally do not like the clunky list for pickout ot notes and changing volumes,voices etc.
A little long winded. :)

Offline BogdanH

« Reply #15 on: October 16, 2023, 08:36:40 AM »
I agree with Maarten.
Those who prefer DAW workflow would still do it on computer, because: screen on keyboard is simply too small and there's no mouse (imagine Cubase on cell phone). That is, we should have reasonable wishes.

Personally I'm quite happy with Style Creator workflow, but as Marteen said, that doesn't mean there's no room for improvement -far from that. For example, to have an option to merge two tracks into one. Let me explain... I have a lengthy track (many bars) which I'm happy with and then I wish to add a key sequence somewhere in the middle. If I record over the existing track, it can easily happen I ruin the whole track (usually we need more than one take before we succeed). Instead, we could record on some other free track and when we're happy with it, we could just add that content to final track. And there's so much more...

Bogdan
PSR-SX700 on K&M-18820 stand
Playing for myself on Youtube

Offline ugawoga

« Reply #16 on: October 16, 2023, 08:50:52 AM »
Hi
If it is a touch screen then it is possible i should think.
For better viewing attach a monitor if the new Genos has a HDMI socket.
I reckon the most we can hope for is easy stylemaking,seamless switching and better sounds.
Anything else would be a bonus :)
« Last Edit: October 16, 2023, 08:53:02 AM by ugawoga »

Offline hans1966

« Reply #17 on: October 16, 2023, 08:17:27 PM »
Hi Eileen
Yes you see a list and that is sort of ok.
It would be great to see things visually because it would also be faster to edit and go to.
It is great just to drag and drop note blocks delete move them about. :)

I have to agree with John, I would also like to see the piano roll included as an event editing tool.

greetings

Hans
"Enjoying my SX600, and moving step by step through the journey of life"