Author Topic: PSR-SX700 Voice Volumes with Styles  (Read 1154 times)

Offline andy0140

PSR-SX700 Voice Volumes with Styles
« on: October 09, 2023, 02:25:36 PM »
Hi all - really enjoying the PSR-SX700 but have found on many default styles across the entire style range that the Right1, Right2 OTS voice volumes tend to be a big overpowering, I'm have to constantly set an assign wheel to lower the voice volume level. A bit annoying, wondering if anyone else on the forum shares the same view ?

Cheers
« Last Edit: October 09, 2023, 02:31:00 PM by andy0140 »
Keys:
Yamaha Genos 2
Nektar Impact LX Mini
M-Audio Hammer 88 Pro
Roland FP-30X

Acoustic:
Kawai K200

Gear:
M-Audio BX8 Studio Monitors
M-Audio BX4 Studio Monitors
Yamaha NSSW050 Subwoofer
Behringer QX1204USB Mixer
Gear4Music MIX04AU Mixer

Offline overover

Re: PSR-SX700 Voice Volumes with Styles
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2023, 03:20:55 PM »
Hi Andy,

I generally recommend using a volume pedal (Yamaha FC7). Connect this to pedal jack #2 and set it so that it only affects the volume of the RIGHT parts. However, this only allows you to reduce the volume, i.e. when the pedal is fully depressed you have the same volume as when the pedal is not connected.

So that you have a certain volume reserve for the RIGHT parts, I recommend generally lowering the STYLE volume a little, e.g. to the value 80 (in Mixer > Panel page). Note that when switching the OTS, the currently set STYLE volume is retained.

By the way, in my opinion it is best to use the OTS only as recommendations, e.g. when testing the styles. Use the Registration Memory instead: Create a Registration Bank for each song title you want to play (with 1 - 8 Registrations, depending on your needs). Here you can save all settings/changes as you wish (e.g. Style, Style Volume, Main Variation as well as Intro or Ending, Right Voices/Volunes, Left Voices/Volume, Style Part Voices/Volumes, Effect settings, Split Points, Fingering). If you save everything in Registrations as just described, there is no need to change the relevant style or its OTS.

Hope this helps!

Best regards,
Chris
« Last Edit: October 09, 2023, 03:29:08 PM by overover »
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.
➪ Never put the manual too far away: There's more in it than you think! ;-)

Offline andy0140

« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2023, 04:10:21 PM »
Hi Chris - many thanks for this, much apprieciated.

I do use registrations mostly, for fine tuning like you say and having the ability to fully customize, its just when I was experimenting with "out of the box" styles I did notice the OTS voices appear to drown out the style, but I agree memory registrations are the best solution here.

I have a cheap sustain pedal attached to Pedal port 2 for the S/ART, I was thinking about a volume pedal but dont really have a real requirement, the assign knob can be set to voice volume, so I'll just carry on with that when tinkering !

Many thanks
Andy
Keys:
Yamaha Genos 2
Nektar Impact LX Mini
M-Audio Hammer 88 Pro
Roland FP-30X

Acoustic:
Kawai K200

Gear:
Yamaha NSSW050 Subwoofer
Gear4Music MIX04AU Mixer

Offline overover

« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2023, 04:32:17 PM »
Thanks for your kind feedback, Andy!

If the RIGHT voices are generally too loud for you in "OTS mode" (e.g. when trying out styles), you could also (conversely as I suggested above) increase the STYLE volume in the Mixer a little, e.g. to 110 - 115, and at the same time reduce the Master volume slightly to have a better balance between Right Voices and Style.

Best regards,
Chris
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.

Offline BogdanH

« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2023, 06:42:25 PM »
I must say that I really see no reason to fiddle with registrations in this case. Why not simply adjust volume level of L and R voices to your liking and save setting back into OTS? -that's why OTS exists. And next time when you load the style, you're ready to go.

Just my 2c,
Bogdan
PSR-SX700 on K&M-18820 stand
Playing for myself on Youtube

Offline overover

« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2023, 06:57:58 PM »
I must say that I really see no reason to fiddle with registrations in this case. Why not simply adjust volume level of L and R voices to your liking and save setting back into OTS? -that's why OTS exists. And next time when you load the style, you're ready to go.

Just my 2c,
Bogdan

Hi Bogdan,

Yes, of course you could also change the OTS. But to do this you have to finally re-save the style. However, when using Preset styles, the latter is only possible with by re-saving as a User style. When using Registrations, you can leave the original style untouched.

Best regards,
Chris

Offline andy0140

« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2023, 09:36:17 AM »
Thanks all for your advice/input here - I have a few options going forward. Registrations appears to be the best for me.

Cheers
Andy
Keys:
Yamaha Genos 2
Nektar Impact LX Mini
M-Audio Hammer 88 Pro
Roland FP-30X

Acoustic:
Kawai K200

Gear:
Yamaha NSSW050 Subwoofer
Gear4Music MIX04AU Mixer

Offline EileenL

« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2023, 11:46:41 AM »
What do you have your touch sensitivity set to. Changing it may help.

« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2023, 01:35:06 AM »
Dear Chris,

I agree with Bogdan: OTS are made for having the R&L voices as you like (volume, sounds, effects, ecc) whenever you recall that style.

I'm using Registrations, but also OTS.

Let'say that I like to make a Registartion Bank of Elton John songs. I will save in that bank a Style (actually a song-style, that I prepare by editing the original/source style, and making appropriate OTS for each variation..... long work, but very satisfactory) that will be Registration 1, named with the title of that particular song. Then save as a Registration a second song/style, and so on.
Whenever I like to play a song by Elton John, I just select his Registration bank (named Elton John), and I can play various song/styles that have been edited to emulate the arrangement of the original song.

To make it more clear, I have a Registration Bank named Elton John, where Reg.1 will be Song for guy (so naming the Registration), Reg.2 will be Blue eyes, and so on.

It took me about 3 years to accomplish over 400 Song/Styles (so far...), but this way I really got MY arranger!

I understand that most of people like better to have one Registration bank for one song only (having 10 variations, instead of 4). I preferred my way because once I select a registration Bank, then I can pass from one song to another seamlessly, just pushing the button af another registration.

Genos is very powerful and give the opportunity to follow different ways to get the target.

Ciao,

Angelo
Yamaha Genos, Clavinova Cvp309PE, Hs-8, Hammond Xm2.
Past: Farfisa Minicompact, CompactDeLuxe; Elkarapsody; Hammond L122R&Leslie142; CasioCz1000; Roland D50, E20, ProE, Juno106, JX8P, Ra90; Technics Kn800, 1000, 2000; Korg M1, i3, i30, Pa1x, Pa3x; others.

Offline andy0140

« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2023, 08:35:11 PM »
Quite interesting Angelo, I guess having a master "bank" and a registration per song gives a nice organised structure, what I would say and is in no way critical of the way you're doing it is that I normally have 1 or 2 registrations per song (or more), so I would call my bank the name of the song and can have 8 different variations for that song allowing a bit more flexibility.

But I do like your Style (excuse the pun !  :D)

Cheers, Andy
« Last Edit: October 11, 2023, 08:37:35 PM by andy0140 »
Keys:
Yamaha Genos 2
Nektar Impact LX Mini
M-Audio Hammer 88 Pro
Roland FP-30X

Acoustic:
Kawai K200

Gear:
Yamaha NSSW050 Subwoofer
Gear4Music MIX04AU Mixer

The following users thanked this post: MadrasGiaguari

Offline andy0140

« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2023, 08:36:14 PM »
What do you have your touch sensitivity set to. Changing it may help.

Its set to default, I havent changed it.

Keys:
Yamaha Genos 2
Nektar Impact LX Mini
M-Audio Hammer 88 Pro
Roland FP-30X

Acoustic:
Kawai K200

Gear:
Yamaha NSSW050 Subwoofer
Gear4Music MIX04AU Mixer

Offline EileenL

« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2023, 11:21:46 PM »
Hi Andy,
  If you want a little more volume on the right hand voices try setting the touch to soft.

The following users thanked this post: andy0140