Author Topic: Genos "Intro's"  (Read 1547 times)

Offline rphillipchuk

Genos "Intro's"
« on: October 09, 2023, 04:36:27 AM »
How would you describe the difference between Intro 1, Intro 2 and Intro 3...
Yamaha DGX-670 connected to a Yamaha MW12 Mixer connected to a pair of Yamaha MSP10's + Yamaha SW10 Subwoofer using Songbook+.

MacBook Pro 32 Gigs Ram, 1 Terrabyte SSD

www.midisafe.com
www.yamahastylesonly.com

Re: Genos "Intro's"
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2023, 06:30:59 AM »
Simple and short, rich, very rich and very long.

I take profit from the message. I have msp10 studio without subwoofer. And I wonder if I will buy it. I just discover in your signature you have them.
Has the subwoofer a real interest when we play in a small room ? Could you describe what it adds above the msp10 studio please?  Thank you for your answer.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2023, 06:32:07 AM by soundphase »

Offline ton37

« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2023, 06:46:10 AM »
Yeah, it is mostly a matter of the amount of measures: short, medium, long. Some styles are "song-specific' . It's the same with the outros. To have more variation one can use the intro's from other styles or make your own instead of the standard one  ;)
My best regards,
Ton

Offline BogdanH

« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2023, 08:14:10 AM »
... rich, very rich and very long.
I agree.
And speaking for me, I could easily live with only one intro & ending (or maybe two) -give me six main variations instead (eight would be perfect).

..I have msp10 studio without subwoofer. ...Has the subwoofer a real interest when we play in a small room ? Could you describe what it adds above the msp10 studio please?..
Disclaimer: I don't have speakers you mention and so here's only my general opinion after reading specifications.

MSP10 are very good (linear) monitors, but surprisingly (considering the size), bass isn't really it's strength. Spec's says frequency range starts at 40Hz, which sound nice, but we should also notice it's 40Hz (-10dB)! It's de-facto standard that frequency range is given at -3dB falloff (nobody really cares about this anymore) and that means, MSP10 frequency range actually starts at about 55Hz (-3dB). But yeah, on paper, 40Hz looks better.
Lowest octave on 76-key keyboard covers the range 41-62Hz (E0-B0) and that's where MSP10 sounds weaker. So, if you use lowest octave often in you music, then you will benefit by adding SW10 subwoofer -regardless of room size. Needless to say, that in this case, cutoff frequency on SW10 should be set at about 55-60HZ. The loudness that you set on SW10 depends entirely on your room acoustic and where in the room SW10 is positioned -the goal is: from where you're listening, SW10 should sound equally loud as main monitors.

I hope that was of some help,
Bogdan
PSR-SX700 on K&M-18820 stand
Playing for myself on Youtube

The following users thanked this post: soundphase

« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2023, 08:48:27 AM »
MSP10 are very good (linear) monitors, ...
Yes thank you for your advice. I currently boost the 100hz range with +5db in the main EQ of the Genos. The SW10 is around 1000€ (and still sold!) so I would prefer knowing difference is significant before buying it.

Offline maartenb

« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2023, 11:20:20 AM »
I would describe them as:
  • Useful
  • Once in a while useful
  • Useless

The problem I have with Intros II and III is that they only fit one song and are therefore very limited in real life use. I use Intro I and Outro I 99% of the time.

The Roland keyboards (and maybe Korg as well) have an Intro II (and Outro II) that has no chords in them. Therefore, you have to play the chords yourself and thus can easily adapt them to a variety of songs. Besides being very practical, it's also a lot of fun playing with a chordless intro and ending.

Maarten

Offline pedro_pedroc

« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2023, 11:58:10 AM »
In my opinion? Like marteen, Yamaha chord fixed intros are useless. Only intro1 is helpful.
That’s the reason, in my styles, I create intros you must control with chords - so you can whatever you want and really feel you’re playing (not only waiting for the intro finishes).

Just my opinion. 
Pedro

Offline EileenL

« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2023, 01:44:19 PM »
Why not just play your own intros and bring the style in when you want it.
  There are always ways round these things. Leave the set intros to the people who used them and that is an awful lot I must add.

Offline rphillipchuk

« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2023, 01:53:09 PM »

Has the subwoofer a real interest when we play in a small room ? Could you describe what it adds above the msp10 studio please?  Thank you for your answer.

I can only describe what I hear.   The sound is extremely satisfying .   I will get new keyboards but I will never purchase another sound system.....You will not be disappointed !

It made my old PSR-2000 sound great when I had it.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2023, 02:01:46 PM by rphillipchuk »
Yamaha DGX-670 connected to a Yamaha MW12 Mixer connected to a pair of Yamaha MSP10's + Yamaha SW10 Subwoofer using Songbook+.

www.midisafe.com
www.yamahastylesonly.com

Offline rphillipchuk

« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2023, 02:03:36 PM »
Can I add a "Chord" Sequence to an intro ?

www.midisafe.com
www.yamahastylesonly.com

Offline Danny1972

« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2023, 02:03:44 PM »
I would describe them as:
  • Useful
  • Once in a while useful
  • Useless

The problem I have with Intros II and III is that they only fit one song and are therefore very limited in real life use. I use Intro I and Outro I 99% of the time.

The Roland keyboards (and maybe Korg as well) have an Intro II (and Outro II) that has no chords in them. Therefore, you have to play the chords yourself and thus can easily adapt them to a variety of songs. Besides being very practical, it's also a lot of fun playing with a chordless intro and ending.

Maarten

Yes the Korgs has it like this.

All Yamaha have to do is just add that in as a 4th intro and ending button and you'll have all the options available. I like Intro2 & 3 of Genos/Tyros/PSR styles, the structure has been there for years. Intro2 & 3 are the way they are because in a lot of the styles intro2 is suited to var 1 and 2 for one particular song, and intro3 suitable for var 3 and var 4 for another song (or it could be var1 and var3 then var2 and var4), something like that anyway.

Offline ugawoga

« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2023, 04:26:05 PM »
I hate waiting for intros to finish, so i do them myself.
I look at the sheet music and if not there i then look on the net for the chord sequence.
I then compare it with the groups song and get the intro as near to the original as I can.
Just practice them until it sticks inside your head.
Play the keyboard as much as you can as it  becomes easier the more you do it.
Also learn to play in any key. :) because the diagonals makes a song easier to play in my opinion.. Just like learning to play Chess ;D
« Last Edit: October 09, 2023, 10:25:02 PM by ugawoga »
Genos, I7 computer 32 gig ram, Focusrite 6i6, Cubase controller, Focal Alpha Monitors, Yamaha DXR8 Speakers
Cubase 10, Sonarworks, Izotope.  Sampletank, Arturia and Korg software.  Now IK Mixbox

Offline mikf

« Reply #12 on: October 09, 2023, 10:17:36 PM »
The first intro is not much more than a ‘count in’ so it can nearly always be used, but often needs a real intro played right behind it. Intro 2 and 3 are usually more elaborate and impressive full orchestrations, but like many have said, have limited use. Less skilled musicians are often attracted by them, thinking it makes them sound better. But beware - there is really nothing more cringeworthy than a fancy machine played intro followed up by someone playing with one finger!
But then playing their own intros is not easy for many people, because it often needs to come from inside your head which needs some musical competence, and ability to play at least a little by ear, and that may be beyond many. It’s something that needs work, and comes with experience. Listen to what good players do and try to emulate it.
Sometimes it’s much more effective if the intro is played in free time, and the song proper starts in tempo, but that can be tricky on an arranger.
Mike

Offline rattley

« Reply #13 on: October 09, 2023, 11:33:24 PM »
Hello Friends!

Don't forget that you can turn some parts off in intro, ending, or variation.  You can make the style "less busy" especially the intros 2 or 3.  This can make a song specific style non song specific.  I do it all the time, but I usually only use the intro 1 and ending 1.  -charley

Offline jimlaing

« Reply #14 on: October 10, 2023, 03:55:20 AM »
Like some other here, I mostly do my own intros.  I use Intro 1 to get a click and get things going, then I do my own intro (chords, right-hand stuff, etc.).  I  mostly do my own endings too, and use Ending 2 as a way to, in a simple way, end a song on a clean beat.  Maybe 1% of songs, I use II or III. . .   -Jim
Raleigh, NC, USA / Genos / Tyros5-61 / Lucas Nana 600 / other stuff