Author Topic: What are your expectations of the Genos II after 7 years of development?  (Read 5253 times)

Offline ton37

There's still some time left for guessing... ;)

Yamaha has had 7 years to develop a new arranger!
What do you expect from the new Genos II (compared to the Genos 1)? Will it be: an update, an upgrade, a (usual) improvement, a real innovation or a revolutionary concept?
Could it be that you might be disappointed after waiting so long?
My best regards,
Ton

Re: What are your expectations of the Genos II after 7 years of development?
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2023, 02:21:08 PM »
There's still some time left for guessing... ;)

Yamaha has had 7 years to develop a new arranger!
What do you expect from the new Genos II (compared to the Genos 1)? Will it be: an update, an upgrade, a (usual) improvement, a real innovation or a revolutionary concept?
Could it be that you might be disappointed after waiting so long?

I want a better style creator and the ability to create SA2 and Megavoice sounds. More drum kits with Revo technology, more sounds, better Latin voices and better orchestral voices.

Offline ugawoga

« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2023, 04:04:39 PM »
A Proper Stylemaker, Better Orchestral and guitar voices. :) Loads more room for samples
Genos, I7 computer 32 gig ram, Focusrite 6i6, Cubase controller, Focal Alpha Monitors, Yamaha DXR8 Speakers
Cubase 10, Sonarworks, Izotope.  Sampletank, Arturia and Korg software.  Now IK Mixbox

« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2023, 05:14:00 PM »
A Proper Stylemaker, Better Orchestral and guitar voices. :) Loads more room for samples

Yes, I forgot to mention the guitar voices. They are not very realistic.

Offline hans1966

« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2023, 06:18:04 PM »
More editing tools in SONG CREATOR, such as a piano roll editor, quantization to a specific measure of a song, direct keyboard sampling capability.

greetings

Hans
"Enjoying my SX600, and moving step by step through the journey of life"

Offline DerekA

« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2023, 07:41:27 PM »
I expect

More expansion memory
Bluetooth
More voices, possibly bosendorfer included
More styles including adaptive styles
... and not much else
Genos

Offline MIKEP

« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2023, 08:59:44 PM »
An Acker Bilk clarinet!

Offline Toril S

« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2023, 09:51:07 PM »
Yes, that would be very nice!!!
Toril S

Genos, Tyros 5, PSR S975, PSR 2100
and PSR-47.
Former keyboards: PSR-S970.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCLVwWdb36Yd3LMBjAnm6pTQ?view_as=subscriber

Toril's PSR Performer Page

Offline Stubby

« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2023, 12:26:43 AM »
I'm expecting a higher price!

Offline Oxford1035

« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2023, 01:25:18 AM »
Seemless switching for starters.

Offline ugawoga

« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2023, 10:12:15 AM »
Another problem with the Genos that needs looking at.

Quote from 2018-----In Song Record > Chord > Step Edit I can only select Preset styles and Favorite styles not User Styles (modified styles).

This needs attention :) Rather have that than Chord Looper any day
« Last Edit: October 08, 2023, 10:11:23 PM by ugawoga »
Genos, I7 computer 32 gig ram, Focusrite 6i6, Cubase controller, Focal Alpha Monitors, Yamaha DXR8 Speakers
Cubase 10, Sonarworks, Izotope.  Sampletank, Arturia and Korg software.  Now IK Mixbox

The following users thanked this post: pjd

« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2023, 03:41:00 PM »
Okay, the new Genos is probably already ready for presentation, but..
Seamless transitions when changing sounds, as well as Nord-like piano quality. Because it IS technically possible in a similar price range, even if it's handcrafted like Nord makes them.
Also, I have not seen another keybed as good as the Nord Piano - it is fully hammer-action, but still easy and dynamic to play, not too big or heavy keys, as they tend to be in this class.

Still, I'm grateful for my current Genos, my first TOTL instrument I've been able to afford. Time will tell if I want a Genos II or one of these next generation instruments.
Genos,  Roli Rise2

Offline ton37

« Reply #12 on: October 09, 2023, 09:01:38 AM »
I am still very satisfied with my SX900. I will definitely consider the new toy, the Genos II. What could convince me? My personal considerations:
- clear display that is tiltable (preferably you can arrange it yourself)
- much better integration (of midi) with Daw (Cubase)
- much better editing and recording options for the styles and sound
- Seamless Sound Switching
- very large memory, possibly expandable.
I would be scratching my head if it only came in a 76-key version. I prefer a 61-model. That's why I got rid of the Genos 1 at the time.
Just a few weeks left and than this forum will 'explode' ;D
Ah, the sound and the styles. As usual, that will be good and is also a very personal taste. And the price: it will probably be high. On top of that there are usually some accessories (kb-stand, speakers, dust cover). A total of 6-7 k is not unthinkable? But everyone has to decide for themselves whether they are willing to do it.
My best regards,
Ton

« Reply #13 on: October 09, 2023, 09:09:31 AM »
The first thing I look for is seamless sound switching.

Offline DerekA

« Reply #14 on: October 09, 2023, 09:42:46 AM »
Can I just mention, the OP was asking what we think will *actually realistically* be delivered with Genos II, not a wishlist. That's why my response above was on the pessimistic side.
Genos

Offline ton37

« Reply #15 on: October 09, 2023, 10:33:42 AM »
You're right @Dereka. With my list I expext that Yamaha has listen to their customers (??). If those features are not there, or minor changements after 7 year, I will be kind of 'disappointed' (in development way). Your realistic expectations, with all respect, are not more than a regular 3-year update/upgrade of the Genos-models. I do not hope you are right  ;) ;D
My best regards,
Ton

Offline maartenb

« Reply #16 on: October 09, 2023, 11:42:54 AM »
I expect Yamaha have fixed the weak hinges of the buttons and fading text on the buttons. And made the Chord Looper more user friendly. I also expect improvements to the style engine, like fill downs.

General improvements, yes. They always do this with a new model arranger.

We've had some really nice revolutions in the past, like: Mega voices, Super Articulation voices, Revo drums, pitch bend joystick, internal memory and touch screen. Other revolutions, like Organ World and Ensemble are really cool, but I don't use them that often.

What I am curious about, is what direction Yamaha is taking with arrangers. Genos was a departure from the Tyros line and Yamaha were trying to appeal to a new, younger and professional audience. For songwriting and use in the studio. I have no idea whether they succeeded. Yamaha either will continue in this direction, or it didn't work out as they hoped for and will be changing direction with the Genos II.

For the record, I've never been disappointed with a Yamaha arranger. If I had thought the improvements weren't big enough, I would have skipped a model (or more).

I'm looking forward to see what Yamaha have cooked up!

Maarten

« Reply #17 on: October 09, 2023, 12:08:48 PM »
Good morning,

On November 16, I will go to the Genos 2 presentation.
From this date we will be fixed on its possibilities.

I am ready to send you photos of this day which promises to be memorable.

In my opinion, from now on, it is no longer useful to suppose or imagine. This is all part of the past.

Over time, there will likely be updates and improvements like the Genos 1.

Good day
Christian

Offline EileenL

« Reply #18 on: October 09, 2023, 01:49:01 PM »
Look forward to that Christian.

Offline Danny1972

« Reply #19 on: October 09, 2023, 02:20:55 PM »
One thing is for sure, I am absolutely gob-smacked that there's absolutely no leaks or any solid information at all, unless a barrage of leaks suddenly appear, but I don't see it. I remember the SX900 leaks and Jeremy See doing videos on it well before it was released so the surprise wasn't so big (even though I was still pleasantly surprised with the SX900 when I got it on day 1).

Yamaha have done very well this time to conceal anything and everything, and if there are any big changes, we'd only know about them on the day.

« Reply #20 on: October 09, 2023, 03:28:18 PM »
Hello Danny,

I don't know if this is done in the UK but in France it is tradition that the groom should not see the bride in her dress until the wedding day.
She only seems more beautiful.

The same goes for the Genos 2.

Good afternoon
Christian

Offline Danny1972

« Reply #21 on: October 09, 2023, 03:42:56 PM »
Hello Danny,

I don't know if this is done in the UK but in France it is tradition that the groom should not see the bride in her dress until the wedding day.
She only seems more beautiful.

The same goes for the Genos 2.

Good afternoon
Christian

In the UK it depends on who's doing the grooming lol. I think we are an impatient bunch !!!

The following users thanked this post: colas musique

Offline Joe H

« Reply #22 on: October 09, 2023, 07:41:36 PM »
1. Eight encoder knobs instead of 6 standard pots (will start at last setting of parameters) and faders that will "replace last value" so there is no jump in the
parameter adjustments (yes this is possible through software code)

2. More assignable buttons.

3. More expansion memory

Maybe some of these features in a more limited way on the next sx arranger as well.

Joe H
« Last Edit: October 09, 2023, 07:44:34 PM by Joe H »
Music is the Universal Language!

My Article: Using Multi Pads in registrations. Download Regs, Styles & MPs:  http://psrtutorial.com/music/articles/dancemusic.html

Offline HienoKaveri

« Reply #23 on: October 11, 2023, 10:40:48 AM »

On November 16, I will go to the Genos 2 presentation.

What is this, a joke? I re-registered on this forum just because of this thread.

I have been around 20 years ago, I can't even remember the username I used back then. I did make a collection of midi files in the PSR performers section with the name Heikki Kähkölä. Well I digress. I've been waiting for something new from Yamaha for years, up to the point I have not played anything anymore because I'm out of inspiration. I'm the kind of dude who gets fired up for new gear, I've sold my Tyros5 long ago, never liked the Genos for live performing, so I've just been doing other things... like I did get a chromatic accordion and trying to learn that from zero.. anyways, I would pay big time for a Genos II just to get "back in it". As long as it's got a tiltable screen for lyrics, please please.

I tried the Korg PA5x but the styles just didn't work for me. They were like copies of the hit songs they were modeled after. And I couldn't find anything suitable for Scandinavian type dance/schlager stuff.

So the point is, does someone have inside info on a next Yamaha flagship arranger even existing? Is anything at all under development? I have found nothing but hoaxes on the internet.

I hope I'm not back for nothing.

Some Tyros5 performances from the past..
https://www.youtube.com/@HienotKaverit/videos

Offline ton37

« Reply #24 on: October 11, 2023, 11:22:35 AM »
.... xx ....

I hope I'm not back for nothing.
Yes, you are back for nothing 😏
The facts are: only SudKlaviers is organizing a demo weekend, without information which new keyboard will be demonstrated. Not a single information from Yamaha (yet). So a fact- check: nothing about a Genos II  ;)
My best regards,
Ton

Offline andyg

« Reply #25 on: October 11, 2023, 05:50:47 PM »
An Acker Bilk clarinet!

You'll find three on my website, but you'll have to use the Mod Wheel or Joystick (or assign it to a pedal) to add Acker's distinctive vibrato. (Actually, Monty Sunshine also used that same vibrato on 'Petite Fleur'.)

If you want to hear the clarinet in action: https://app.box.com/s/5iuvbpt303
It's not what you play, it's not how you play. It's the fact that you're playing that counts.

www.andrew-gilbert.com

The following users thanked this post: MIKEP, strandkam

« Reply #26 on: October 11, 2023, 06:29:57 PM »
Hello Hienokaveri,

It is true that on November 16, I will go to the presentation of the new Genos which will take place over 2 days in the South of France but I will only stay there for the 1st day.

You are right to return to this forum but I fear you will be disappointed by the fact that the new Genos will not have a tilting screen.

I invite you to follow your intuition.

My friendships
Christian
« Last Edit: October 12, 2023, 02:46:59 AM by colas musique »

Offline ton37

« Reply #27 on: October 11, 2023, 06:48:38 PM »
Dear @colas m., you are not Yamaha and you do not speak on behalf of Yamaha. So not a reliable source in itself regarding a possible Genos II. Whether you are right or not, it would be good manners if you did not criticize the various participants who regard this as an illegitimate source in such a negative manner.
ehh friendship  ;)

** the content of the original post is modified by the poster, so this in not relevant anymore. **
« Last Edit: October 12, 2023, 11:04:07 AM by ton37 »
My best regards,
Ton

Offline nonchai

« Reply #28 on: October 11, 2023, 07:28:06 PM »
AUDIO OVER USB

EDITING features for CHORD LOOPER - along with a single editable midi track for RH melodies - so we can compose a simple melody along with chord changes without going to the awful sequencers in Genos 1/PSR SX...

Proper Piano Roll style MIDI sequencing /editing/

QY700 type functionality

thats all ...

.... folks...

Offline ton37

« Reply #29 on: October 11, 2023, 10:18:34 PM »
Hi @colas m., **content deleted as the poster to whome I reacted has delete his post** .. fin ..  ;)
« Last Edit: October 12, 2023, 11:00:08 AM by ton37 »
My best regards,
Ton

Offline ugawoga

« Reply #30 on: October 11, 2023, 10:21:22 PM »
Dear @colas m., you are not Yamaha and you do not speak on behalf of Yamaha. So not a reliable source in itself regarding a possible Genos II. Whether you are right or not, it would be good manners if you did not criticize the various participants who regard this as an illegitimate source in such a negative manner.
ehh friendship  ;)

Who cares, it is all banter and fun with wind ups and truths. Did you not have a naughty brother who wound you up on Christmas eve.
It all adds to the excitement of Father Christmas coming down our chimney.  ;D
I just hope it is better than an apple or an orange in our Christmas stocking!! ::) ;D
If you lose a tooth , you might even get a silver sixpence in your Christmas pudding!! ;D ;D ;D ;D
French translation--- The fairies bring you a surprise if you lose a tooth. Sometimes you have to look under your pillow. :) :) :)
Hmmm!! "What has this got to do with a new Genos"???? ::) ;) "silly me"!! :(
« Last Edit: October 11, 2023, 10:29:25 PM by ugawoga »