Author Topic: PSR-S710 Locked in its functions  (Read 2145 times)

Offline ektor_s900

PSR-S710 Locked in its functions
« on: October 06, 2023, 06:49:41 AM »
Hello, I have an S710 that a friend left me a long time ago and the detail of this keyboard is that it turns on the screen well, but the rest of the keyboard is blocked or dead, the LEDs, the style commands, the voices, the songs etc, No button works, the keys do not sound; but when I connect it via the USB serial port to the PC it recognizes it and in that part the keyboard does not lock, the same when I insert the USB memory, no. Does anyone also have the same problem?

Someone told me that I have to change 6 chips on the back of the DM board, these chips are LC245a.

Here I leave the Aliexpress page in case anyone knows and I hope for any help.

https://www.aliexpress.com/w/wholesale-lc245a.html
Ektor PSR-510-630-740-3k-S900-GW8L-S910-S970

Online Divemaster

Re: PSR-S710 Locked in its functions
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2023, 07:17:59 AM »
I think that the question I would be asking myself is this.
Appreciated, that the keyboard may have sentimental value to you, but bearing in mind it's age (circa 2009) and what you have described, I'd be considering the overall cost of effecting a successful repair, if you aren't able to carry out such work yourself
Unfortunately, the nature of old, brittle, badly connected circuit boards and availability of other components may make such a project unfeasible. As fast as you fix one issue, you can be pretty sure that others will follow.
My own view is that Money Pit projects are a bad bet.
For what it will likely cost, go buy a working keyboard. Far less hassle.

Just being realistic
« Last Edit: October 06, 2023, 08:23:39 AM by Divemaster »
Yamaha PSR-SX700
Korg Pa5x
Technics SX-PR900 Digital Ensemble Piano
Lenovo M10 Android tablet with Lekato page turner

Offline Amwilburn

« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2023, 06:37:52 PM »

For what it will likely cost, go buy a working keyboard. Far less hassle.

Just being realistic
100%. From the sounds of it, it will likely cost much more than the market value of a working PSRs710. The s950 is far superior (the s750 is slightly ahead of the s910,  which is quite a bit ahead of the s710) and you should be able to purchase one of those for under $585 USD.

The cost of your repair, if not DIY, will run anywhere from $200 to $1000+ usd (depends on labour and shipping cost/rarity of the needed boards).

Offline Toril S

« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2023, 10:00:25 PM »
I assume you have tried a soft reset, holding down the rightmost white key while powering on the keyboard? Check the power adaptor, maybe it does not give out enough power? Apart from that I agree with the other friends, it is very expensive to repair, much better to get a new one!
Toril S

Genos, Tyros 5, PSR S975, PSR 2100
and PSR-47.
Former keyboards: PSR-S970.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCLVwWdb36Yd3LMBjAnm6pTQ?view_as=subscriber

Toril's PSR Performer Page