Author Topic: Next generation PSR-E series keyboards -- Too soon?  (Read 5325 times)

Offline SciNote

Next generation PSR-E series keyboards -- Too soon?
« on: October 02, 2023, 08:52:56 AM »
The PSR-E273 and E373 have been around for about 3 years now, and the PSR-E473 was introduced nearly 2 years ago.  It used to be the case that we'd be seeing some new models by now -- at least the successors to the E273 and E373 -- but of course, covid, supply chain issues, and chip shortages have changed that.

So, what do you think?  New models coming soon?  They used to stagger the intros, in that the E200 and E300 series would come out one year, and then the E400 series would come out the next year.  Maybe now, since the product cycle has been thrown through a loop anyway, perhaps Yamaha will start to introduce all three models during the same year?  I guess we'll see!  It used to be the case that most of their new models were introduced during the same year in the early 1990's.

What changes do you think we'll see?  What might you be looking for?  I'll post my standard requests that I have been posting for a decade...

1. More registrations
2. A button to do a drum fill without having to change the A/B style variation
3. The option to allow the sustain pedal affect the left side of a split keyboard, along with the right side
4. At least some rudimentary editing capability in the 6-track sequencer, such as the ability to start recording a selected track at a particular measure -- without erasing what was recorded before that point -- so that you don't have to re-record the entire track if you make a mistake

Also, bring back the higher quality keyboard feel last seen in this model range in the PSR-E433.  I am not the only one who has noticed that the key feel of the PSR-E443 on up was just not quite as good as that of the E433.  It's one of the reasons that I continue to use the E433, even after all this time.

Seeing what they did with the PSR-E473, compared to the older models, I'd also add...

6. Move the live control knobs back to where they belong -- right by the left side of the keyboard, not near the back edge of the unit
7. Put the attack/release option back in the live control knobs function menu
8. Bring back a dedicated numeric keypad that can be used for function data values, as well as voice and style selection
Bob
Current: Yamaha PSR-E433 (x2), Roland GAIA SH-01, Casio CDP-200R, Casio MT-68 (wired to bass pedals)
Past: Yamaha PSR-520, PSR-510, PSR-500, DX-7, D-80 home organ, and a few Casios

Offline vbdx66

Re: Next generation PSR-E series keyboards -- Too soon?
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2023, 08:37:09 PM »
Hi Bob,

I strongly agree on all points you're bringing out here.
I guess one of these days I'll buy one old PSR E433 - again ! The new keyboards have very nice possibilities, but the keybed has alwas been sub-par since the E443, unfortunately.
When the E383 / E483 will come out, they'll probably have many bells and whistles, but I strongly doubt that they will have a good keybed, Yamaha is probalby trying to put production costs down.

Regards,

Vinciane
Past keyboards: PSR E313, PSR E413, PSR E433, PSR S550, DGX 640, upright piano.
Now: DGX 650, Casio CT-X800.

Offline Divemaster

« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2023, 09:37:42 PM »
I've already mentioned the E473 in a number of posts, and it belongs firmly in the 'toy' class.

But the one thing Yamaha need to do l is put the headphone socket at the FRONT of the keyboard.
I don't know about other players, but having a Headphone lead running under or over the keyboard from the back panel is just intrusive and very bad design.
Yamaha PSR-SX700
Korg Pa5x
Technics SX-PR900 Digital Ensemble Piano
Lenovo M10 Android tablet with Lekato page turner

Offline BogdanH

« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2023, 09:46:38 PM »
...but having a Headphone lead running under or over the keyboard from the back panel is just intrusive and very bad design.
-it's not about design.. it's because 40cm of cable would drastically increase the price  ;D

Bogdan
PSR-SX700 on K&M-18820 stand
Playing for myself on Youtube

Offline SciNote

« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2023, 10:34:23 PM »
Vinciane!  Been ages!  How are you doing?  As I saw replies to this thread and started going over my original post, I remember how you used to post a lot in this section but that I had not heard from you in a long time... then I scroll down, and there you are!

Just so you know, I finally found a second PSR-E433 at a good price on eBay!  Got it about, I don't know, maybe 5-6 months ago.  It was about $200 US, including shipping -- a much more reasonable cost than the ~$400 total cost I often see.

As for the PSR-E400 series being a toy, I hardly agree.  Yes, the key feel could use some improvement, as we've discussed.  But the sound quality, built in sequencer, and especially the synth functions like filter and envelope give these keyboards a lot of flexibility.  All of the new DSP effects just add to the usefulness, as well as the live-control knobs -- which came out on the E400 series before they finally put them on the S600+ series.

As for the headphone jack -- It's probably a trade-off.  Ideally, there would be a headphone jack in the front, and line-out jack in the back.  But for a keyboard with just a headphone jack that doubles as the line-out jack, they probably figure it's more likely to be used as line-out, and therefore, best to be in the back of the keyboard so that the cable from the keyboard to the amp or mixer is not in the way.
Bob
Current: Yamaha PSR-E433 (x2), Roland GAIA SH-01, Casio CDP-200R, Casio MT-68 (wired to bass pedals)

Offline Divemaster

« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2023, 10:37:29 PM »
I don't wear that one Bogdan.

It's a simple circuit board redesign, like the Tyros, SX and Genos headphone sockets are all at the front. After all, you play the keyboard from the front, so that's where the socket needs to be.

Trailing a long headphone cable  from a socket on the back of the keyboard  to the front where you sit and play from is just plain potty!

We'll beg to differ on this one my friend. It's bad design.

Keith

Yamaha PSR-SX700
Korg Pa5x

Offline SciNote

« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2023, 01:46:31 AM »
I don't wear that one Bogdan.

It's a simple circuit board redesign, like the Tyros, SX and Genos headphone sockets are all at the front. After all, you play the keyboard from the front, so that's where the socket needs to be.

Trailing a long headphone cable  from a socket on the back of the keyboard  to the front where you sit and play from is just plain potty!

We'll beg to differ on this one my friend. It's bad design.

Keith

I think Bogdan was just joking when he said that the 40 cm of cable would drastically increase the price!
Bob

Offline pjd

« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2023, 02:11:47 AM »

Vinciane

Good to see your post!

— pj

Offline BogdanH

« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2023, 06:36:55 AM »
I think Bogdan was just joking ...
Yes, I thought that's obvious ... I guess I failed  ::)

Bogdan

Offline Divemaster

« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2023, 07:15:43 AM »
No.... I got it.... 😂 It's just a shame Yamaha designers obviously never actually sit down and play what they design, because then they'd understand how it just doesn't work to put sockets in silly places.
Yamaha PSR-SX700
Korg Pa5x

Offline vbdx66

« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2023, 10:52:12 AM »
Vinciane!  Been ages!  How are you doing?  As I saw replies to this thread and started going over my original post, I remember how you used to post a lot in this section but that I had not heard from you in a long time... then I scroll down, and there you are!

Just so you know, I finally found a second PSR-E433 at a good price on eBay!  Got it about, I don't know, maybe 5-6 months ago.  It was about $200 US, including shipping -- a much more reasonable cost than the ~$400 total cost I often see.

As for the PSR-E400 series being a toy, I hardly agree.  Yes, the key feel could use some improvement, as we've discussed.  But the sound quality, built in sequencer, and especially the synth functions like filter and envelope give these keyboards a lot of flexibility.  All of the new DSP effects just add to the usefulness, as well as the live-control knobs -- which came out on the E400 series before they finally put them on the S600+ series.

As for the headphone jack -- It's probably a trade-off.  Ideally, there would be a headphone jack in the front, and line-out jack in the back.  But for a keyboard with just a headphone jack that doubles as the line-out jack, they probably figure it's more likely to be used as line-out, and therefore, best to be in the back of the keyboard so that the cable from the keyboard to the amp or mixer is not in the way.

Hi Bob, yes, my life is a bit strange for the time being, I am trying to figure out what is happening to me. Also, since last year, I have started creating pictures with AI programs, which was quite a discovery for me because basically, I cannot draw (music and writing are more my thing), which used to be a huge frustration. So lately, I have been more busy making experiments with these programs, and creating pictures. I went to Barcelona to exhibit in a metro station a picture I made of Saint Michael Archangel in a style mixing Klimt and Boticelli, sort of - see attachment. I am living only two hours off from Barcelona, in the South of France, so it was an opportunity to do something I never did before.
I am still making music on and off, though. In Spring, I wrote a song for a friend, singing and accompanying myself at my DGX 650 at the same time (no arranger features, just the piano). Some friends told me it reminds them of the French singer Barbara, which is quite flattering  ;D

Hope I don't get banned for being totally off-topic  ;)

So now you know everything  :)

Have a nice day my friend  8)
Past keyboards: PSR E313, PSR E413, PSR E433, PSR S550, DGX 640, upright piano.
Now: DGX 650, Casio CT-X800.

Offline stevem

« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2023, 05:47:55 PM »
I've already mentioned the E473 in a number of posts, and it belongs firmly in the 'toy' class.

I wish i'd read this before i bought one.... mine's been sat covered up since i bought the SX900. The best thing about my E473 was i soon realised i needed something a whole lot better! I suppose i might as well try and sell it - certainly can't play it as a spare - the keyboard feels dreadful, and i can't even play  ::)

The only thing that bugs me now is: How good will the new Genos be ? oh dear, oh dear, please don't let me near one....

Offline BogdanH

« Reply #12 on: October 25, 2023, 06:15:14 PM »
hi Steve,

The only thing that bugs me now is: How good will the new Genos be ? oh dear, oh dear, please don't let me near one....

I hear you! But unless money is no issue, I highly recommend that you stay calm. The gap between current Genos and SX900 is much, much smaller than the gap between SX900 and your (almost) previous E473. Yes, incoming Genos will be better (new stuff always is), but think: you practically just bough SX900 and so you probably know almost nothing about it's capabilities (speaking from my experience). So the question you should answer to yourself is, what will you really gain? -besides having the best keyboard.
Yes, we all know the rush when something new comes.. I guess it depends on available budget  :)

Bogdan

Offline pjd

« Reply #13 on: October 25, 2023, 06:29:49 PM »
Hi Steve --

Just want to echo what Bogdan has said. I did some comparisons recently against SX900 and it reminded me of what a fine keyboard it is! No need to move to another keyboard if it fits your current needs.  :)

I had a similar experience (much earlier) with PSR-E443 and S950. I eventually gave the the E443 to my niece and nephew -- and they loved it:) I've never gotten much trade-in for entry level keyboards -- I'd rather donate them.

Enjoy your SX900 -- pj

« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2024, 11:26:06 PM »
Hi everyone I was thinking about this too. And as of today now in 2024 I have a strong feeling that new psr e models will be released. At least the PSR-E-283 PSR-E383’ and PSR-EW-325. Then then the E-483 shortly afterwards. But I also agree that if they all were to be released together I’d appreciate it too.