Author Topic: PSR E373 Keyboard/No Lessons/Can Play 150 Hymns Now!!  (Read 822 times)

Offline MoosicGal

PSR E373 Keyboard/No Lessons/Can Play 150 Hymns Now!!
« on: October 02, 2023, 05:35:56 AM »
I got this keyboard used in January 2022 but still in original box, never been used, was about 1 month old. its FANTASTIC!! Ive never taken a piano lesson but I taught myself to play about 150 hymns on it, I play 2 notes with each hand, and single interlocking notes and have a 90% correct note flowrate. Now im looking on yt to start playing 3 keyed notes, gotta move forward. I play this unit 6/7 days a week! such FUN!! use gp and 078 or 095 voices with the gp base.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2023, 12:13:22 AM by MoosicGal »

Offline SciNote

Can you post some photos of this keyboard -- especially where the model number is printed on it?  As far as I know, the PSR-E383 would likely be the next model in the PSR-E300 line, but does not yet exist for sale, which might be why you cannot find anything on line under that model number.  In fact, I was just looking on Yamaha's website for any information on this next wave of keyboards in this product line, but I didn't find anything.  The current model is the PSR-E373, and it has been out for 2-3 years now.

Especially, if you've had this keyboard for nearly 2 years, it almost has to be something else.
Bob
Current: Yamaha PSR-E433 (x2), Roland GAIA SH-01, Casio CDP-200R, Casio MT-68 (wired to bass pedals)
Past: Yamaha PSR-520, PSR-510, PSR-500, DX-7, D-80 home organ, and a few Casios

Offline Amwilburn

Since he got it used in 2022, most likely he meant PSRe373 (or possibly even PSRe363). However, as the 373 has been out nearly 3 years, I'd expect a 383 fairly soon (next March maybe?).

There *was* also a PSS380 released in... 89?

Mark

Offline MoosicGal

Re: PSR E373 Keyboard/No Lessons/Can Play 150 Hymns Now!!
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2023, 12:15:05 AM »
I GOOFED; its a 373!!

Offline SciNote

Re: PSR E373 Keyboard/No Lessons/Can Play 150 Hymns Now!!
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2023, 10:20:32 AM »
So, that makes more sense, now!  I bet you now found information online about the E373, right?

While still a fairly basic keyboard, it does have some nice features for its price, including the S.Art Lite voices, as well all of the DSP effects included with it.

If by "3 keyed notes", you mean regular 3 note chords, then that is a very good idea.  While the easy-play features are nice to get started, and useful for someone who just wants to make music on a particular keyboard, if you learn how to play the proper notes of chords, then that gets you on your way to being able to play any keyboard, not just a particular model or those of a particular brand.

I would start with learning the basic 3-note chords -- major, minor, diminished, augmented, and maybe suspension-4 -- for all notes/roots.  In other words, learn those chords for C, C# (or Db -- same notes with different names), D, Eb, E, F... etc. -- all the way to B.  Then, learn their inversions.  For example, a C major chord in root position is C-E-G, but you also want to get used to playing it as E-G-C and G-C-E for a couple reasons.  First of all, it often makes it easier to switch from one chord to another when you know the different inversions.  And secondly, sometimes a song will call for a particular note to be the lowest note played in the chord at a particular time.

And then, or at the same time, start learning the basic 4-note chords, such as the 7th chords, minor-7th chords, diminished-7th chords, and 7-suspension-4 chords, along with their inversions.

This sounds like a lot, but as you just play songs, and get used to playing the chords, you just naturally learn them.  And while you may want to start with songs in easier keys (such as C, G, and F -- key signatures with few or no black keys), as you get used to playing, don't be afraid to learn songs with more complex key signatures, with more black keys in them.  Learning the scales for these different key signatures helps you learn what black keys are in any given key signatures.

Feel free to ask us here if you have any questions!
« Last Edit: October 03, 2023, 10:22:42 AM by SciNote »
Bob
Current: Yamaha PSR-E433 (x2), Roland GAIA SH-01, Casio CDP-200R, Casio MT-68 (wired to bass pedals)
Past: Yamaha PSR-520, PSR-510, PSR-500, DX-7, D-80 home organ, and a few Casios