Author Topic: New YEM  (Read 2858 times)

Offline Enildo

New YEM
« on: October 02, 2023, 12:33:02 AM »
Hello guys!

I hope that with the new Genos, Yamaha will also introduce a new expansion manager.
More intuitive, with the "Wave Assign" with greater visualization, with the possibility of mixing internal (presets) and external voices,
of up to 8 elements, for the Genos2 and all models of the SX line, etc.

Enildo
When word fail, Music speaks!

Re: New YEM
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2023, 12:36:27 AM »
I also hope they give us the ability to create MegaVoice and SA2 sounds

Offline Enildo

« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2023, 12:43:05 AM »
I also hope they give us the ability to create MegaVoice and SA2 sounds

Taking advantage of your hook, I would also like to have the possibility of creating and editing revo drums.

Offline Michael Trigoboff

« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2023, 07:16:28 AM »
YEM has one of the most pathological and difficult user interfaces I have ever encountered; and I speak as someone with significant expertise in user interface design.
retired software developer and Computer Science instructor
Grateful Deadhead emeritus

"He had decided to live forever or die in the attempt."
-- Joseph Heller, Catch-22

« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2023, 01:19:51 PM »
I haven't used YEM in years.

Back when I used it you had to transfer everything, every time you made a tiny change, removed or added something.

Is it still like this?

It was very slow and tedious, slow instrument and even slower wifi interface.
Stopped using it because I had to keep track of all the old files to import as they were needed every time I wanted to try something new and then wait for it to be transferred.

Offline ugawoga

« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2023, 02:43:58 PM »
Hi
I will never understand, why we just cannot load banks or one sound at a time :)
Genos, I7 computer 32 gig ram, Focusrite 6i6, Cubase controller, Focal Alpha Monitors, Yamaha DXR8 Speakers
Cubase 10, Sonarworks, Izotope.  Sampletank, Arturia and Korg software.  Now IK Mixbox

Offline Michael Trigoboff

« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2023, 04:47:35 PM »
I will never understand, why we just cannot load banks or one sound at a time :)

The software may work this way due to financial motives about selling style packages. Money often trumps user convenience.
retired software developer and Computer Science instructor
Grateful Deadhead emeritus

"He had decided to live forever or die in the attempt."
-- Joseph Heller, Catch-22

Offline BogdanH

« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2023, 04:59:18 PM »
YEM has one of the most pathological and difficult user interfaces I have ever encountered...
I totally agree. Although the interface reminds me visually on times of Windows 98, that's not the worst thing. It lack some very basic features and so I can hardly call it a "manager". For example: if I select some style inside pack, YEM should provide a info if some voice in the same pack (and which one) is used in that style. And there's more...

But what's really problematic, is voice/drum creation section. Here most setting parameters are using arbitrary numbers without any further explanation (not even inside manual). Yes, I know bigger numbers means "more", but in sound world we're dealing with known units (i.e. Hz, sec, msec, etc. or even percentage), so why not using them where appropriate?
For example: in YEM, Vibrato speed can have value -64..0..63 (I know where this range comes from), but what does the number we set mean? That 45 is more vibrato than 30? And how much vibrato is -25?
And then come freakin' setting sliders which are almost impossible to adjust precisely -the one for "Original Key" makes me thinking I have Parkinson's.
Is hard to believe: big shiny Yamaha provides such crappy software -yeah, good software must be paid accordingly.

New YEM version will for sure be released when new keyboard comes to market -it must be, for YEM to be able to recognize new keyboard. The question is, will it be totally new software? And that depends on next keyboard. That is, if Yamaha decides to stay compatible with previous keyboards, then I don't expect some big changes in software department.

Bogdan
PSR-SX700 on K&M-18820 stand
Playing for myself on Youtube

« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2023, 05:40:15 PM »
YEM has one of the most pathological and difficult user interfaces I have ever encountered; and I speak as someone with significant expertise in user interface design.

I also agree. I simply don’t understand, why the program is so basic? and the worst thing is that there is no other way to create sounds for the Yamaha Arrangers. I know that program is free but honestly, In my opinion it is useless. Even things that are a little simpler, like creating a new keyboard sound (Grand Piano, Electric Piano, etc) with all the nuances and mechanical noises are impossible to do on YEM and believe me, this kind of task is very easy to do on Korg Pa keyboards, including the cheapest ones like Pa300 or Pa600. Don’t get me wrong, I absolutely love the quality of high end Yamaha keyboards, but there is still a lot to improve.

Offline pjd

« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2023, 10:15:07 PM »
Sound editing in YEM remains sad. Meanwhile, Montage M will be getting (2024) the Extended Softsynth Plugin (E.S.P.) for sound editing and, later, emulation.

I don't want to relitigate this issue (AKA beating a dead horse).  ::)

All the best -- pj

Offline Enildo

Offline EileenL

« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2023, 07:20:33 PM »
The 2.10 is already out and there to download.

Offline Gunnar Jonny

« Reply #12 on: November 29, 2023, 09:14:56 PM »

But 2.10 has issues. Yamaha knows it and will fix.
Cheers 🥂
GJ

Offline Enildo

« Reply #13 on: November 29, 2023, 09:26:59 PM »
Hello Eileen

2.10 is an update to the current YEM. I think Yamaha will launch a new YEM, that's what I understood in the post.

Offline DerekA

« Reply #14 on: November 29, 2023, 10:14:09 PM »
I think you are reading too much into that.

I doubt it wil be a new yem in the sense if having any significant new features. It just means it will recognise G2 as an install target.

But I'm always ready to be wrong.
Genos

Offline EileenL

« Reply #15 on: November 29, 2023, 10:52:11 PM »
That is what the latest update dose. I am using Genos2 and have all my third party packs showing. Just waiting for the Yamaha packs to be converted.

Offline Enildo

« Reply #16 on: November 29, 2023, 10:59:41 PM »
I think you are reading too much into that.

I doubt it wil be a new yem in the sense if having any significant new features. It just means it will recognise G2 as an install target.

But I'm always ready to be wrong.

So it was just that? :-[
What a shame... but it was worth my few hours of happiness... :'( :'( :'(

Offline ugawoga

« Reply #17 on: November 30, 2023, 01:59:08 PM »
Well Enildo, you could be right.
If you look at the new Midi to Style program it looks and is pretty good.
Maybe Yamaha might make a new Yem that looks similar in graphics as the one we have looks like it came from a ZX Spectrum. ;D
It did say new, not updated :)
There is problems with sound edit plus latency that needs fixing and saving a modified sound and on top of that Pack problems.
All of this should have been done ages ago.
My other half says Yamaha are using the first Genos owners as guinea pigs or floundering beta testers
 >:( ;D :o ::) :P
All the Best
John

Ps, We did not even get a serial number sheet this time. Had to lift the machine up and try to write the serial number looking at it upside down with your glasses slipping off your nose holding a torch. Not good for the poor old back!! ::) :P
« Last Edit: November 30, 2023, 02:13:19 PM by ugawoga »
Genos, I7 computer 32 gig ram, Focusrite 6i6, Cubase controller, Focal Alpha Monitors, Yamaha DXR8 Speakers
Cubase 10, Sonarworks, Izotope.  Sampletank, Arturia and Korg software.  Now IK Mixbox

Offline ton37

« Reply #18 on: November 30, 2023, 02:28:16 PM »
Or use your phone camera ..., much 'lighter'  ;)
My best regards,
Ton

Offline EileenL

« Reply #19 on: November 30, 2023, 04:59:19 PM »
I wrote mine down whilst putting USB stick in compartment.