News:

PSR Tutorial Forum is Now Back to Life!

Main Menu

Tyros4 > PSR-SX900 - Music Finder Transfer Question?

Started by chaosmedia, September 18, 2023, 10:05:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chaosmedia

I'm posting to help a friend who recently purchased a Yamaha PSR-SX900. He is not very technical but has asked me to help him transfer all the Music from the Music Finder on his Tyros4 to his PSR-SX900. He has given me the Tyros4 and asked in return I look into how to do this. I've searched but have not had luck, I have a feeling it's due to the fact their have been several iterations since the Tyros 4 was released and the terms have changed.

I was able to find MFD databases for Tyros4 but I'm not sure how to import them. I initially tried to copy them to a USB drive from the Tyros but it only ever seemed to show me styles. I also plugged the Tyros4 into a computer and used some of the old software but again it only showed very small files that did not seem to be the music files I'm looking for.

When I look in the Music Finder it has 1470 Records with song names that seem familiar but not exactly the same name as actual songs. Could someone please advise us on how to best transfer these records to the PSR-SX900 or help point us in the right direction?

I appreciate any help and am sorry if I'm asking for something impossible. I've very limited knowledge of these 2 keyboards but want to help a friend out.

Thank you!

ckobu

Watch my video channel

Divemaster

Hi

You need to refer to Page 82 of the Psr-sx600 Owners Manual for instructions on how to do this.
You can download the Owners Manual here:
https://uk.yamaha.com/en/products/musical_instruments/keyboards/arranger_workstations/psr-sx600/downloads.html#product-tabs

Keith. .
No Yamaha keyboards at present.
Korg Pa5X /61 Arranger /Workstation
Korg PAAS Mk2 Keyboard Speaker Amp system
Technics SX-PR900 Digital Ensemble Piano
Lenovo M10 Android tablet with Lekato page turner
Roland RH-5 Monitor Headphones

chaosmedia

Hi Divemaster,

The keyboard is the PSR-SX900, I don't think this manual will apply. I checked that page and it talks about .wav files but we don't have any .wav files. The only thing I can find on the main page of psrtutorial.com is the .mfd files for the Tyros4 which also matches the file in the youtube download. This seems to match the number of songs we see on the Tyros4 he gave me.

Thank you for the link as I can use it to find the PSR-SX900 manual which will come in handy.

@ckobu - Thanks for the video, I'll try this when I visit him next. Fingers crossed it is what he is looking for.

Thanks for the prompt support!!

Divemaster

Sorry, my mistake. Old age.... Bad eyesight!
I mistakenly read it as PSR - SX600...! 🙄🙄

https://uk.yamaha.com/en/products/musical_instruments/keyboards/arranger_workstations/psr-sx900/downloads.html#product-tabs

This is the download page for the PSR-SX900.

You need the REFERENCE MANUAL which gives instructions.
It is a simple procedure, and just follow the on screen prompts.
No Yamaha keyboards at present.
Korg Pa5X /61 Arranger /Workstation
Korg PAAS Mk2 Keyboard Speaker Amp system
Technics SX-PR900 Digital Ensemble Piano
Lenovo M10 Android tablet with Lekato page turner
Roland RH-5 Monitor Headphones

Bill

Hi Chaosmedia

Music finder files ARE very small files as they are not song files, they are simply links to Styles along with a couple of other things like an actual name, tempo etc.  To use the files link the one you have extracted from with 1473 entries you put the file onto a USB stick and insert into the SX900. And then use the Plahlist feature. The Keyboard will automatically convert the file to a playlist with registrations that you can use. 
See page 90 of the manual.

Bill
England

Current KB:  YAMAHA GENOS 2

chaosmedia

Thank you all very much for your help! All the info helped immensely and when when we added the Music Finder database as a playlist it converted well and worked. One question we had from testing is that every time we picked a new song it would change the finger mode to AI Finger something. This would require going back into the menu to change the finger mode every time and we found it complicated to do.

Do you know if we can set the finger mode to not change or if another approach would be better? Let me know if you need more context or if I should open a new thread. I can also do some research I just thought I'd ask quickly as it was something we noticed was an issue after importing.

Thanks again! It's greatly appreciated!

overover

Quote from: chaosmedia on October 02, 2023, 06:23:02 PM
Thank you all very much for your help! All the info helped immensely and when when we added the Music Finder database as a playlist it converted well and worked. One question we had from testing is that every time we picked a new song it would change the finger mode to AI Finger something. This would require going back into the menu to change the finger mode every time and we found it complicated to do.

Do you know if we can set the finger mode to not change ...

Welcome to the PSR Tutorial Forum, chaosmedia!

You can use the "Parameter Lock" feature to lock your preferred Fingering setting and, if desired, also your Split Point settings.

Please go to "MENU > Utility > Parameter Lock" and tick "Fingering" and, if desired, "Split Point". ("Master EQ" should be ticked as well.)

Close the Parameter Lock display (by touching the X icon or pressing the. EXIT button). This will automatically save the changed settings.

Now the Fingering (and Split Points if also ticked) can't be modified by Registrations (and Playlists) anymore. Note that you can always set/change the settings directly in the Fingering or Split Point display as usual, even with Parameter Lock activated.

Hope this helps!

Best regards,
Chris
● Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that, and - just did it.
● Never put the Manual too far away: There's more in it than you think! ;-)