Author Topic: Problematic Re-Record in DGX 670 and PSR  (Read 895 times)

Offline 56Kruiser

Problematic Re-Record in DGX 670 and PSR
« on: September 13, 2023, 01:42:25 AM »
I recently upgraded form a DGX 660 to a DGX 670. I was excited to find it had a re-record feature. Apparently PSRs have this feature as well (I'm not sure which models).

The purpose is to allow you to re-record a measure/measures if there are errors in them, mitigating the need to record the whole song all over again. The problem is, it does not do so cleanly.

The re-record is performed based on your entereing a beginning measure (Jump in at), and the first measure AFTER the last measure you are re-recording (Jump out at).

I have experienced several anomollies. A common one is that the first note in the jump out measure is impacted: either it plays the note sort of stacatto, or it isn't played at all. Seems like the jump out is not timed well. I have experienced several other anomollies which I won't bore you with.

I opened a ticket with Yamaha which pretty quickly was escalated. After a couple weeks of back and forth, I did get to talk to them this afternoon. He said he tried to duplicate the issue, but didn't have a DGX 670 around to try it on. But, he tried it on a PSR and also had similar issues. He said he has NOT had any calls on this issue before (I didn't ask if he had a database of issues to search...I just presumed he did). He said it could possibly be fixed in a firmware update at some point. I left the onversation feeling like it's not going to happen.

I told hime I'd post here, (and at other places if any has suggestions of where) to get feedback on this issue, and forward to him. He suggested a Yamaha forum that they monitor to gather ideas for improvments. But there was no section for DGX to post about.

I would like to hear if anyone here has tried that feature, and what your results were. Thanks in advance...

Offline DerekA

Re: Problematic Re-Record in DGX 670 and PSR
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2023, 10:30:18 AM »
I've never personally experienced this.

My gut feel would be that it's caused by the timing of the original recording being slightly off.

You would have to look at the underling MIDI to check the timing of the notes before / after the punch in / out. I don't think you can do this on the DGX itself (unlike the PSR etc) but you could export the file to a MIDI editor on a computer.

[NB Yamaha are well known for pretty much ignoring any requests for firmware updates on the arrangers, apart from in the very early days of a new model.]
Genos

Jeff Hollande

Re: Problematic Re-Record in DGX 670 and PSR
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2023, 12:17:03 PM »
Recently I bought me a new 670.

The reason why I bought this instrument : a great 88 note piano with superb piano voices, in my perception.
It can also play some styles but for my use its piano voices are the best. An instrument at a very reasonable price.

For typical arranger applications I play an additional arranger keyboard.

Both keyboards offer a lot of fun for home players but they are two different beasts with their own typical features, IMHO.

Best wishes, JH
« Last Edit: September 13, 2023, 12:20:31 PM by Jeff Hollande »