Author Topic: nomenclature  (Read 1031 times)

Offline flailman

nomenclature
« on: September 08, 2023, 03:34:48 PM »
Just received DGX670 and trying to compare Yamaha's terms as a past user of a PSR series keyboard.  For example is "Layers" on DGX same as "Duet" on E-373?  So many more functions on the DGX  I am having issues recreating sounds I used on the old machine to this machine.  Anyone created a "cheat sheet" of terms? I am spending more time searching for stuff than practicing my keyboard skills.
DGX 670, PSR-E373 and PSS-480

The following users thanked this post: Divemaster

Offline DerekA

Re: nomenclature
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2023, 04:00:08 PM »
"Layers" is a much more flexible option than Duet.

Each layer is completely independent. So for example you can have just R1 active, just R2, or both. And changing one does not affect the other.

Compare to the Duet, where the 'second' voice is lost when you change the 'main' voice because they are coupled together.
Genos

The following users thanked this post: flailman

Offline mikf

« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2023, 04:45:30 PM »
I come at it from a different perspective. These keyboards have massive width and depth of functionality so reading the full manual can be daunting, and maybe not that useful or necessary. Because  I find in practice that I do the same few things over and over, and only occasionally need to do something different. So even if I had gone through the whole manual very thoroughly at the start, I probably still wouldn’t remember how to do those things I seldom do, and would have to ask here - or go through the manuals again. So I think it’s best just to look up the things you need to do, when you need to do them. And if the answer doesn’t jump out to you, then ask here. Just like you did. That’s the main role of this forum!
Some people are very gadget oriented, and want to explore everything it can do in depth. But many (like me} just want to play without needing to know everything.
As far as Yamaha terminology is concerned, it’s my observation that if Yamaha use a different term, it probably means the function is different. It might be related, or similar, - but not exactly the same.
Mike

Online Divemaster

« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2023, 06:00:08 PM »
I thought that my post would be helpful, but despite often being told to read the manual, and explore the instrument, maybe those concepts are too old fashioned these days.
I have removed the post.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2023, 06:14:33 PM by Divemaster »
Yamaha PSR-SX700
Korg Pa5x
Technics SX-PR900 Digital Ensemble Piano
Lenovo M10 Android tablet with Lekato page turner

Offline BogdanH

« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2023, 06:55:09 PM »
No Divemaster, there's no such thing like old fashioned about reading manual. What I'm saying is, you and Mike are right.
I personally always recommend reading manuals.. but we know how it is when we get new toy: let's try it out -no time for manual  :)
When I say "read manual", I don't mean to learn the manual. That would be impossible, because without having some very basic knowledge (about music) and understanding the terminology, we will never get it.
What I say is, everyone should list trough manual and try to memorize chapters and what about are they. The thing is, at this point the owner doesn't really know what is more or less important. And when the questions arise, he will remember he saw that topic was mentioned in manual. In short: he will learn the manual on needed basis -but he must be aware, that answers are in manual.
There will always be things where further clarification is needed.. and forum can be a great source for that. It can happen that someone simply doesn't know where in manual the answer (about his problem) is and many times it's enough if he's pointed to the right page in manual.

Just sharing my thoughts,
Bogdan
PSR-SX700 on K&M-18820 stand
Playing for myself on Youtube

Offline flailman

« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2023, 09:52:02 PM »
I think the day has come when "read the manual" is an AI response rather than a human one.  Hopefully a human can see the difference between actually practicing ON THE KEYBOARD versus having your nose in a manual.  Also want to highly recommend youtuber "@PianoTone".  Found some good stuff in his videos.  Needs subscribers.
DGX 670, PSR-E373 and PSS-480

Offline pjd

« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2023, 10:39:48 PM »
Getting back to the original question, I noticed that the PSR-E373 manual refers to "Duo" and "Dual Voice".

"Duo Mode" splits the keyboard into two key ranges allowing two people to play simultaneously. (E373 Owner's manual, page 22). Duo Mode lets a teacher play on the left while the student plays on the right, for example. The left and right voices in Duo Mode can be different. I couldn’t find an equivalent feature on DGX-670 although some Yamaha digital pianos do support Duo Mode.

"Dual Voice" is what we think of as layering. (E373 Owner's Manual, page 17). The E373 concept of "Split Voice" is related.

Dual Voice maps to the DGX-670 concepts of Main, Layer and Left -- the 670's way to assign different voices to the Left, Layer and Main keyboard parts. This is explained on page 38 of the DGX-670 Owner's Manual.

I can't find a feature called "duet" on the PSR-E373. Yamaha is pretty good about using the same name for a feature across its products.

I think people are recommending the manuals simply because there are too many features to cross-reference between products! If there is a specific point of confusion, please ask!  :D

Hope this helps -- pj
« Last Edit: September 09, 2023, 06:06:50 PM by pjd »

Online Divemaster

« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2023, 03:21:06 PM »
I think the day has come when "read the manual" is an AI response rather than a human one.  Hopefully a human can see the difference between actually practicing ON THE KEYBOARD versus having your nose in a manual.  Also want to highly recommend youtuber "@PianoTone".  Found some good stuff in his videos.  Needs subscribers.

And I think that your post is extremely rude. Obviously aimed at me.
I am totally capable of playing MY keyboard, because I have read both manuals, but as you were asking advice on how to play yours, I was trying to help you, because YOU obviously haven't.

I play 3 to 4 hours a day. The reason I do that is because I HAVE read the manuals and so have taken the trouble to understand the instrument. That way I get the best from it.

It DOES NOT MEAN THAT I HAVE MY NOSE IN THE MANUAL. Yes I'm definitely a human being, and I DO try to help people. In your case I won't bother again. Your snide comments are totally uncalled for.

That is not an AI response. it's from me.....A HUMAN.....And YES you **** well have annoyed me, you rude person.

Obviously your real purpose is to come here to promote some YouTube post.

Suggest you go there in future!
« Last Edit: September 09, 2023, 03:24:21 PM by Divemaster »
Yamaha PSR-SX700
Korg Pa5x
Technics SX-PR900 Digital Ensemble Piano
Lenovo M10 Android tablet with Lekato page turner

Offline mikf

« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2023, 07:20:16 PM »
All these things are a balance, you cant become a great sculptor without being able to use a hammer and chisel pretty well. But being a whizz with a hammer and chisel isn’t going to make you Michelangelo, any more than being a whizz at word processing is going to turn you into a great novelist.
The keyboard is a tool and you need to know, or find out, enough about it to suit your needs as a player. 
Mike