Author Topic: PSR-S770 Issues  (Read 1102 times)

PSR-S770 Issues
« on: September 07, 2023, 08:31:21 PM »
Hi everyone. My S-770 had some minor issues with some buttons not working properly like I have to press them harder to get them to respond. We have been moving from place to place around town. I had it in storage for 5 months. The Storege is not climate controlled. Now I got it out at my new place and noticed those buttons got a lot worse. Start stop button and the exit button no matter how hard I press it it doesn’t respond anymore. I’m curious what happened. By the way I do plan on trading it for the sx700 at my local store. Any advice I’d appreciate.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2023, 08:32:37 PM by Keyboard Master »

Offline Amwilburn

Re: PSR-S770 Issues
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2023, 08:54:50 PM »
If the storage is not climate controlled, you could've incurred oxidization, which would prevent the buttons from working.

Mark

« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2023, 10:50:30 PM »
If the storage is not climate controlled, you could've incurred oxidization, which would prevent the buttons from working.

Mark
oh wow. So does that mean moisture could have gone in it.

Offline Amwilburn

« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2023, 01:25:51 AM »
Absolutely; one of my coworkers went to see a used CLP they saw online, and he told me the whole thing was covered in mold and wouldn't turn on.

The seller then said "ok, another $50 off" :P

However, if you don't smell any mold? Then quite possibly you could get everything working again by cleaning the contacts. I warn you, this is is not for the faint of heart; the cleaning is easy; the disassembly/reassembly is quite daunting, especially if you accidentally move any of the key sensors (the little rubber strips) out of place, some keys might not work anymore. This even happens with experienced technicians; be *very* careful about misaligning any of the rubber strips under the keys!

Mark

« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2023, 06:51:00 AM »
Absolutely; one of my coworkers went to see a used CLP they saw online, and he told me the whole thing was covered in mold and wouldn't turn on.

The seller then said "ok, another $50 off" :P

However, if you don't smell any mold? Then quite possibly you could get everything working again by cleaning the contacts. I warn you, this is is not for the faint of heart; the cleaning is easy; the disassembly/reassembly is quite daunting, especially if you accidentally move any of the key sensors (the little rubber strips) out of place, some keys might not work anymore. This even happens with experienced technicians; be *very* careful about misaligning any of the rubber strips under the keys!

Mark
Oh ok. Now as for upgrading to the sx700 what should I expect when trading my s770 for the sx700 based on its condition. What will my local music store say once they test the condition.

Offline Amwilburn

« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2023, 09:07:17 PM »
UH... most retailers won't take in a keyboard that's not 100% working, or at least will deduct the cost of repair from the trade in value.

You might get lucky though, and get a dealer confident in cleaning off the button contacts themselves.
By for now, I wouldn't expect much trade for a PSRs770 trade in that isn't 100% working...

« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2023, 04:55:40 AM »
UH... most retailers won't take in a keyboard that's not 100% working, or at least will deduct the cost of repair from the trade in value.

You might get lucky though, and get a dealer confident in cleaning off the button contacts themselves.
By for now, I wouldn't expect much trade for a PSRs770 trade in that isn't 100% working...
Oh ok: Thanks for the feedback: I will see what my best bet would be to get the sx700 in the future.