Author Topic: Transition from Genos to CVP 809  (Read 1456 times)

Offline dh110953

Transition from Genos to CVP 809
« on: September 05, 2023, 09:02:43 PM »
Has anyone transitions from the Genos to a CVP 809 (or 909) and can advise if it is diificult to tarnsfer accross registrations created on the Genos to the CVP 809.

I have had the Genos 3 years (previously a 2 tyros's) but having moved house (downsized) we have don't have room for the piano we also have, and sadly the Genos looks out of place in the lounge (I no longer have my study). The Piano is being gifted to one of our grandchildren and as my wife (pianist) can't play / wont play the Genos - she just enjoys piano,  I am looking for an intrument that meets both our needs. I have spent ages configuring the Genos with 100's of registrations all linked back to my Songbook+ and would hate to have to start all over again, unless I have to.

The CVP 809 looks impressive and the blurb seems to indicate the back end is based on the Genos so hopefully all will be good. Yes I know I will lose some of the arranger features and live control etc, but these are features I can live without as most of my playing is quite straight off the keyboard.

Thanks

David

Edit 2023-09-05 by overover: Corrected spelling of topic title
« Last Edit: September 05, 2023, 11:00:08 PM by overover »
Now have a CVP 809 as my wife plays Piano but not Keyboard - I had to PX a Genos to buy it, Also have an SX700 - I did previously own a Tyros.

Offline davidg

Re: Transition from Genos to CVP 809
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2023, 10:09:15 AM »
I had a Genos for about a year and thought it was a fabulous instrument.  Unfortunately I could not get on with the key bed (coming from a piano playing background) so in August 2021 I bought a CVP 805.

Transferring registrations from the Genos to the CVP was difficult.  On the plus side the (electronic) architecture of the CVP is similar to the Genos, so setting up and saving registrations is pretty much the same on both instruments.   

A difficulty I faced was that the Genos permitted three upper voices whereas the CVP allows only two.  Hence some of the Genos registrations would not be fully transferable.   

The second difficulty was the storage location.  Registrations are stored in folders which (on the instrument)  have a prescribed folder/file path.  I use Mobilesheets Pro but I presume Songbook + operates the same way linking registrations to the instrument.  If you try and transfer Genos registrations to the CVP, Songbook + will not find them unless the registrations have identical folder/file paths to those that were on the Genos.  Consequently transferring registrations would depend upon whether you could create an identical folder/file path on the CVP to that on the Genos for each registration. 

When I got the CVP I eventually came to the conclusion that it was easier to prepare the registrations afresh.  This gave me the opportunity to tidy them up and at the same time to tidy the pdf files in Mobilesheets Pro.   

There may be some way to transfer registrations from the Genos to the CVP and perhaps some other forum members can advise you.  I found that starting again was a worthwhile exercise because when you first start producing and saving registrations, as a new comer to an instrument, they are perhaps not saved in the most logical manner (folder structure).   

Although I sometimes miss the many functions of the Genos the CVP is a great instrument and combines the best of an arranger and piano.   

I hope this is of some help.

Kind regards,
David

The following users thanked this post: dh110953

Offline Helbi

« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2023, 11:56:58 AM »
You can use Murray Best's Yamaha Registration Manager to convert the registrations. However, you will lose the Right 3 voice as it is not present on the Clavinova. You can find the program in the PSR Tutorial Support under Utilities/Best.
Sincerely, Helbi

The following users thanked this post: dh110953

Offline Amwilburn

« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2023, 10:14:52 PM »
The CVP809 will give you 85-95% of what Genos offers (depends how many expansion packs you use, or if you use ensemble mode, or 3 right voices) but with significantly better keys, speakers, and aesthetics (The speakers are incredible).

No 3rd right layer, no expansion flash ram, no ensemble mode but wow, the piano experience is 100x better, even on headphones (binaural sampled 3D piano).

Copy all your Genos styles to a USB stick first though; the CVP uses different styles, but the same on board sound library (in fact, there are several additional sounds on the CVP, mostly due to the lack of that 3rd layer; they combine more layers together on the CVP).

Mark

Offline jcm2016

« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2023, 08:31:24 PM »
I changed from an SX900 to a CVP805 and I couldn't get the registrations to move over.  Am I missing something?  I see reference to Murray Best for software to convert, but haven't tried that yet.  But this thread seems to say someone went from Genos to CVP809 and the registrations transferred.  Since the SX900 is the baby Genos and the CVP805 is the baby to the CVP809, I thought it would be the same answer.

PS - I absolutely love my CVP805!!

Much appreciated!

Offline Amwilburn

« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2023, 09:05:10 PM »
Yes you need Murray Best's YRM and set your target instrument to CVP805 (actually, since they're all backward compatible, you could even set them to CVP309 as your target, *however* some subtle things could go missing if you do that, like Live Control data)

sx900 is *not* a baby Genos. I know a lot of people say that, but it's actually a T5 with the S.ART 2 layers stripped out, and with Revo compatible live drums added. But it just so happens that you arrived at the correct place anyway! The G1 and the 809/909 share the same sound library, the sx900 and the 805 share the same sound library (99% the same voices in both cases)

Mark

Offline frozzers

« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2023, 07:59:29 AM »
I can now convert my old Genos registrations to my CVP-909.

Previously, I was able to convert my registrations one at a time but I couldn't get the Batch Bank Conversion process to work. I asked Murray Best for help and following his advice below I can now use the Batch process:

1. Set your 'Target Keyboard' as CVP-xxx (enter your CVP number).
2. Click on any Empty button - this will load your 'My Registration' - and then press 'Exit' to close YRM (no need to save your changes).
3. Re-open YRM and change the 'Target Keyboard' to Genos.
4. Click on 'New Registration' in the Button window and then click 'Edit Registration'.

The 'Registration Edit' window will show a 'Live Control' button at the bottom of the screen. If it's not there, it doesn't matter.

As the CVP doesn't use Live Control but Genos does, you need to remove Live Control.

5. Select the 'Remove Groups' button under 'Duplicator' and click 'Process'.
6. Select 'Live Control' then the click the 'Remove Settings' button.
7. Click 'Save' to go back to the main screen.
8. Change the target back to CVP-xxx.
9. Click the button you just updated and click 'Make My Registration'.
10. Exit the program (no need to save the registration).

Hopefully you can now convert your registrations. One thing you'll notice is that the conversion process creates two registrations. This is because there are 10 buttons in a Genos registration so the program creates one registration with the first 8 buttons and the other registration with the remaining two buttons. Usually I delete the second registration and make any appropriate adjustments to the first registration.

Cheers

Chris

Offline murrayb

« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2023, 04:32:59 PM »
Converting CVP805,809 or 909 registrations to Genos or SX can be damaging using YRM without further modification.  This is because although the latest CVPs don't use Live Control, every saved registration contains the entire Genos version of live control data.  It makes for large registration files on the CVP, but since the data isn't used there's no problem.

But, using YRM to convert these CVP registrations to Genos or SX could be a problem because the data within the CVP live control to the Genos is corrupt. Since Genos does use this data it has an impact on the keyboard and can require a factory reset.

If you're converting from CVP8 or 9 to Genos or SX, first convert the registrations, then use Duplicate to remove the Live Control data from the converted registrations if you're not using live control, or duplicate an existing good registration to all the converted data if you are using live control.

The earlier mention of using SX900 registrations on a CVP805 works because the registration header records are identical.  The SX700 registration is also identical to the CVP809.  So opening SX registrations on the CVP8 is no problem, however because of the possible corrupt live control data on the CVP I'd be careful about opening CVP registrations on SX.

Murray

One can do without most things, but not without the pleasure of music.

Check out my Registration Manager at:  http://psrtutorial.com/util/best.html