Author Topic: Focusrite 2i2 4th edition  (Read 1564 times)

Offline mhack

Focusrite 2i2 4th edition
« on: September 03, 2023, 09:53:41 PM »
Can the sx900 route to Scarlet Focusrite 2i2 4th generartion controler and connect to powered speakers and use the 2i2 to control speaker volume?

Offline BogdanH

Re: Focusrite 2i2 4th edition
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2023, 08:16:05 AM »
Yes, it can. But if that's the only reason, then I don't understand why would you do that.. I mean, you can connect powered speakers directly to keyboard and control the loudness with main volume knob.

Bogdan
PSR-SX700 on K&M-18820 stand
Playing for myself on Youtube

Offline mhack

« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2023, 12:27:23 AM »
Bognad: Thanks! I have a small as a recording  “ Studio”. I do all my recordings using head phones. No problem. However, my bride wants to listen from the next room sometimes so I trying for a happy medium on the speakers. I know I can adjust the headphones on the MIC settings page. I can’t set the volume from the powered speakers very high because of feedback problems when I am singing into the mic. She is 82 and she loves to hear me sing as I record. Go figure. It is love. Thanks for your assistance.
Mike

The following users thanked this post: kevin.dsouza

Offline BogdanH

« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2023, 09:22:18 AM »
Thank you for explaining,

Anyway, I recommend you to download 2i2 Gen4 Manual before you buy and see chapter Examples of use (p.34 and especially p.35). As you can see, 2i2 has only two inputs. That means, if you connect keyboard to it (as stereo device), then you can't additionally connect a microphone. That's ok, if you plan to have microphone connected to keyboard (as you probably have now), because in this case microphone is automatically mixed into stereo signal. However, I think that's a lot of money for only being able to control loudness of external speakers.
Because it just came to market, I can see that 4th Scarlett generation is quite expensive compared to previous 3rd Gen. What I'm suggesting is, to consider Scarlett 4i4 Gen3, which you can still get for almost the same money -and it has four inputs!
By having four inputs, you can connect a keyboard and up to two microphones. But what's important to know is, each input is recorded as separate device. That is, it can never happen that your singing will be too loud or too quiet compared to keyboard -because you can adjust levels on PC later at mixing final result.
Ok, maybe you don't need that feature right now, but as said, is almost the same money...

Bogdan
PSR-SX700 on K&M-18820 stand
Playing for myself on Youtube

The following users thanked this post: mhack

Offline mhack

« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2023, 06:55:29 PM »
Bogdan, thanks for your reply. My plan is to replace my gen3 Solo which is connected to my computer, with the gen4. I never put down everything I should on my messages! I will try the gen 3 on my keyboard. The gen4 will enable me to attach my SMS58 mic to the rear. Too many cables in front! Thanks again for the advice. I am having much fun! Best regards,
Mike

« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2023, 04:07:19 AM »
MhacK, I have the Focusrite 2i2 3rd gen.  I have my PSR-A5000 (kind of like your sx900) hooked up the front input left and right and my Yamaha monitors to the back output.  The reason I did this because I have a 88 key M-Audio controller attached to my computer using the Keyscape software.  This way I can get all the audio mixed together with both keyboards coming out of the monitors.

The following users thanked this post: mhack