Author Topic: Psr sx900 sound  (Read 1688 times)

Offline Nuno

Psr sx900 sound
« on: August 31, 2023, 01:43:05 PM »
Helo

Can somebody help me
I have one yamaha psr sx900 and since I purchase it I am very disappoint with the sounds quality
When I played it for example when I choice one sound e touch in demo of this sound
The quality of the demo it's so much better this is what I expected and when I hear the sounds in youtube
The quality is top.
For me the quality of my keybord of sounds are like analogic seems mono.
I must inform that I hear the keyboard with the internal speakers
I tried the do some adjusting like filter, reverb etc and the sound change like the choice I ve made it
But never with the quality of demos and youtube
My question is if I purchase one studio monitor or a box of interface media or a misture bank
The sound will be better
Best regards

Sorry for my English I m portuguese

Offline DerekA

Re: Psr sx900 sound
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2023, 03:39:25 PM »
The demos are just short MIDI files playing the voices.

As far as I am aware there is no 'trickery' being used - the voices are just being played by the MIDI.

However - they are being played *well*, using all the options of dynamics and touch that they offer.

So the blunt truth - and this applies to me too - is that we are just not playing the voices well enough to get the same sort of results as the demo clips.

Offline BogdanH

« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2023, 04:08:38 PM »
hello Nuno and welcome to the forum

In general I agree with all what DerekA just said. That is, if demos sound good to you, then that proves that keyboard can sound good -the result is mostly up to the player.
SX900 has relative good speakers system built-in and at this point I really don't recommend buying external monitors (see this thread).

Bogdan
PSR-SX700 on K&M-18820 stand
Playing for myself on Youtube

Offline Divemaster

« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2023, 06:26:07 PM »
Hi Nuno
You don't say whether you bought your PSR-SX900 new or pre owned. If preowned, then reset it. But in any case do that as you may inadvertently have pressed a setting that was best left alone.

Have you tried resetting it to it's default settings by holding down the last white key on the right and then turn the keyboard on. Keep your finger pressed until the screen appears
You wouldn't be the first person to have a keyboard that has had its original settings changed.

As for playing, the SX900 is a highly capable keyboard, and without being judgemental perhaps you need to get to play it more to get the best from it. Like all new keyboards it has its own quite steep learning curve.

Hope that helps.
Keith.
Yamaha PSR-SX700
Korg Pa5x
Technics SX-PR900 Digital Ensemble Piano
Lenovo M10 Android tablet with Lekato page turner

Online p$manK32

« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2023, 06:46:32 PM »
One quick suggestion for you is to go into Voice Edit and experiment with increasing the Touch Sensitivity settings. Of course if you increase it too much you lose dynamic range. But I find increasing this helps bring out the details of the sample more, especially if you are going for that “bigger” sound like the demos that cuts through the mix, which is what I think you want. Also increasing filter resonance and EQ brightens the voice as well, and of course effects. Leigh Wilbraham’s YT videos explore voice editing on Genos, which is the same on SX.

When I had my MODX I saw this same complaint from users, especially the pianos and other sounds that people felt didn’t sound like the demos. These were some of the solutions on MODX and they also work for SX.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2023, 08:36:18 AM by p$manK32 »
SX900, MODX7+

Offline ton37

« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2023, 07:31:46 AM »
Hi, pls. make some adjustments in the equalizer settings to your own taste. You will be surprised!
My best regards,
Ton

Offline Simone1972

« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2023, 12:39:44 PM »
I am also an owner of this model, but honestly I am very satisfied with the sound of this "little monster"...
For sure the EQ settings play a significant role: the flat equalization does not emphasize the great speakers capability of the instrument.
Take a look at multiple threads on this forum.

Enjoy

Offline chax

« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2023, 01:07:45 AM »
I had set equalizer to one of the settings given in this forum but still sound was not very satisfactory considering the fact that I am from the HI FI stereo generation. initially I was playing much away from any wall but when I put the KB against the wall the sound was very very  rich specially the bass was much better and quite undamped just like HI-FI. Maybe you could try this if already not done.
Regards
Chax

Offline DaPaleRider

« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2023, 10:01:34 AM »
I also find it difficult to create the sounds that the demos show. I even set my sensitivity to Soft2 and sometimes have to almost hit the keys to get certain sounds.
Yamaha CK61, Yamaha MODX7, Korg Pa5X, Yamaha YH-WL500, Roland Fantom 07, Roland Boutique D-05/TR-08, Logic Pro