Author Topic: Piano sounds  (Read 2150 times)

Offline virklund

Piano sounds
« on: August 31, 2023, 12:32:47 PM »
I am looking for good Piansounds for Psr S775. Can somebody help with a home page?
Jørgen Lægdsgaard

Offline BogdanH

Re: Piano sounds
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2023, 05:20:22 PM »
hello Jørgen,
I've been looking for that for months and found nothing what I consider as a good piano sound. Let me explain...

First, I am a "freebie" and so I was hoping to find something interesting for free. In short, I found nothing worthy. I suppose one can find good enough piano voices on internet, but not for free. And there's another catch: you can't really try them before buying. All what you get, are few mp3 demo tracks for listening and that's simply not enough convincing for me. Why don't they offer a demo pack, where (for example) all black keys are missing? In that case we could actually tryout the voice on our keyboard, which would make our decision much easier.

Anyway, once someone (I think in this forum) mentioned "soundfonts" which raised my curiosity. There are many piano sounfonts available for free on internet and some are relative good (not many, though). But the thing is, to make a use of them, you need to know how to create custom voices in YEM. Although you can import soundfont file directly into YEM, that's usually not the best solution. Without going into details: to get best possible result, you need to extract samples from soundfont file and then import them manually into YEM -and that's the easier part! Because after (and before) that, countless adjustments are needed to be made.

To keep story short: I was lucky by finding original piano samples of Yamaha CFX Grand piano, made by Garritan -it's a 120GB package of samples! The rest is history to me... after several weeks I managed to create a piano voice that I'm totally happy with.

I hope you find my post interesting enough and maybe it will motivate you to decide to go the same path.

Bogdan
PSR-SX700 on K&M-18820 stand
Playing for myself on Youtube

The following users thanked this post: virklund

Offline travlin-easy

« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2023, 05:49:57 PM »
Here are some voices you both may like and they will work with any Yamaha arranger keyboard. https://app.box.com/s/620aqowt5q1vlnvcl7n9

Gary 8)
Love Those Yammies...

The following users thanked this post: Graham UK, jes826, virklund, adrianed, juketsu, wersianer, pmahl, Roshure

Offline p$manK32

« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2023, 07:02:17 PM »
First, I am a "freebie" and so I was hoping to find something interesting for free. In short, I found nothing worthy.

I was lucky by finding original piano samples of Yamaha CFX Grand piano, made by Garritan -it's a 120GB package of samples! The rest is history to me... after several weeks I managed to create a piano voice that I'm totally happy with.

Bogdan,
You said you prefer free stuff, but the Garritan link you gave is a $200 VST. Did you buy the piano VST and import the samples into YEM to make your piano?

Rich
SX900, MODX7+

Offline p$manK32

« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2023, 07:08:43 PM »
Here are some voices you both may like and they will work with any Yamaha arranger keyboard. https://app.box.com/s/620aqowt5q1vlnvcl7n9

Gary 8)

Gary,
Thanks for the link. Do .liv files load into the SX900 the same as a .vce file?

Rich
SX900, MODX7+

Offline BogdanH

« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2023, 08:37:10 PM »
hello Rich

You said you prefer free stuff, but the Garritan link you gave is a $200 VST. Did you buy the piano VST and import the samples into YEM to make your piano?
erm.. I said I was lucky by finding samples only  ;) -right now I don't use/need VST's anyway.

Bogdan
« Last Edit: August 31, 2023, 08:39:40 PM by BogdanH »
PSR-SX700 on K&M-18820 stand
Playing for myself on Youtube

The following users thanked this post: virklund

Offline Graham UK

« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2023, 01:50:58 PM »
travlin-easy. Thats a nice TenorSax.VCE.
I use many VCE's in my righthand voicings.
DGX670