Author Topic: CVP-905 Reduce volume of a voice with the pedals  (Read 1230 times)

Offline Helbi

CVP-905 Reduce volume of a voice with the pedals
« on: August 21, 2023, 07:03:19 AM »
Hello, I'm from Germany and I bought a CVP-905.
Before that I had a DGX-670 and now I miss the function of being able to reduce the volume of a voice with the center or left pedal.
I know I could do that with an extra volume pedal, but I don't want to do that for aesthetic reasons.
Does anyone know how to do this with the CVP-905 using the center or left pedal?
Best regards, Helbi

Offline mikf

Re: CVP-905 Reduce volume of a voice with the pedals
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2023, 08:58:00 AM »
You have to add a pedal via the aux input. But surely you would want an expression type pedal anyway.
I have one plugged into my CVP. I don’t know what you mean by aesthetics, no-one even notices it.
Mike
« Last Edit: August 21, 2023, 09:53:21 AM by mikf »

« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2023, 09:36:25 AM »
Dear Helbi,

I own Genos and a CVP 309 in a beautiful Polished Ebony finish, both located in my big living room, plenty of antique furniture, nice paintings, Persian carpets, ecc.

Nevertheless I have the expression pedal plugged into the Clavinova. It is a small addition that aesthetically disappears among so many other things. But UNDER the practical/musical point of view changes strongly your interface with the Clavinova, allowing controls that could never be achieved without the pedal.

The expression pedal can be free assigned to any of the Left, R1, R2 (in the 900 series I believe also R3) voices, and is so useful not only for pads/organs, but also for solo instruments as saxes, guitars, human voices, ecc.
It allows a much more realistic performance, and I would kindly recommend to use it: I cannot do without it.

Ciao

Angelo

Yamaha Genos, Clavinova Cvp309PE, Hs-8, Hammond Xm2.
Past: Farfisa Minicompact, CompactDeLuxe; Elkarapsody; Hammond L122R&Leslie142; CasioCz1000; Roland D50, E20, ProE, Juno106, JX8P, Ra90; Technics Kn800, 1000, 2000; Korg M1, i3, i30, Pa1x, Pa3x; others.

Offline Helbi

« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2023, 10:19:55 AM »
Hello, I don't want to connect additional pedals to my CVP.
With the DGX-670 I had before, you could temporarily reduce the volume of the voices with the center or left pedal. Very useful at the end of a musical phrase. I'm looking for this function in the CVP-905.
Best regards, Helbi

Offline mikf

« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2023, 01:53:11 PM »
That’s what I already said, - you need to use a pedal plugged into the aux. You cannot do it with the standard pedals on a CVP.
The various arranger type instruments all have many similarities, but there are also differences.
Mike
« Last Edit: August 21, 2023, 03:03:03 PM by mikf »

Offline Helbi

« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2023, 03:58:08 PM »
Hello, it works!
Set the Right Pedal to Modulation -.
Now in Voice Edit adjust the amplitude as needed (fade out <64, fade in >64).
This works steplessly only with the right pedal.
Thanks for the replies on this topic.
Best regards, Helbi

Offline mikf

« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2023, 06:24:54 PM »
Interestingly that you found a way ti make this work,.... this function is new to me ie ability to control volume of voices with the main pedals. I don't think it existed on earlier models of the CVP like the 700 series which I have. Looks like it was added form 800 series onwards.
Mike

The following users thanked this post: Helbi

Offline Amwilburn

« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2023, 07:47:04 PM »
I just tried it, that's not really a volume control; Mike, if you recall, later keyboards (like T5, PSRs950/s970/s975) used the mod wheel up to mute (roll off the treble) pianos, strings, and on organs it actually *did* fade the volume.

Actual volume control still requires hooking up a separate volume pedal. Incl CVP809/909.

But it's still a cool trick to point out :)

Mark

Offline Helbi

« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2023, 12:42:42 PM »
I had a Roland PK-9 midi bass pedal with integrated volume pedal that I connected to my Genos.
And it's clear to me that I can't replace a real volume pedal with the option described above.
But for me it's a nice way to turn down the volume of a voice or fade it in without having to connect an additional volume pedal.
Helbi