Author Topic: Genos Pedal Steel Guitar  (Read 2421 times)

Offline DaveD

Genos Pedal Steel Guitar
« on: August 18, 2023, 09:11:56 PM »
I play a lot of country music but must say the pedal steel guitar on Genos is disappointing. Does anyone have revised setting for this voice which would make it more realistic? I'm sure it can be improved but I don't have the necessary skills.

Hope someone can help.

DaveD

Offline overover

Re: Genos Pedal Steel Guitar
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2023, 09:51:35 PM »
Hi Dave,

Based on the Voice List in the Genos Data List, I can see that the Voices "PedalSteelGuitar" (S.Art), "PedalSteel" (Regular) and "AlohaGuitar" (Regular) are in the Panel Voice folder "E.Guitar".

In addition, in the "Legacy" Voice folder (subfolder "E.Guitar" there are three other Voices "PedalSteel" (S.Art), "PedalSteelAmp" (S.Art) and "PedalSteel" (Regular). Have you tried all these voices yet?

Best regards,
Chris
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.
➪ Never put the manual too far away: There's more in it than you think! ;-)

The following users thanked this post: Taffinator

Offline Oxford1035

« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2023, 10:48:50 PM »
Dave,

I replied to your question on Eileen’s site and gave you a pointer there.

Offline DaveD

« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2023, 11:07:33 PM »
Thanks for the replies. I have changed both reverb and chorus and tried the various harmony settings. None of which really sound like a pedal steel guitar but certainly are an improvement.

I have also tried all other steel guitars on Genos and Legacy

The sound I seek is similar to the one achieved by Dale Mathis on his accordion set.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=__aSXnCiNI0 at 20.02 min. I'm sure a similar sound is achievable on Yamaha but I just don't know how.
Best wishes,
DaveD
« Last Edit: August 18, 2023, 11:16:10 PM by DaveD »

Offline overover

« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2023, 02:55:33 AM »
Thanks for the replies. I have changed both reverb and chorus and tried the various harmony settings. None of which really sound like a pedal steel guitar but certainly are an improvement.

I have also tried all other steel guitars on Genos and Legacy

The sound I seek is similar to the one achieved by Dale Mathis on his accordion set.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=__aSXnCiNI0 at 20.02 min. I'm sure a similar sound is achievable on Yamaha but I just don't know how.
Best wishes,
DaveD

Hi Dave,

This pedal steel guitar sound has quite a lot of vibrato. For the Yamaha Preset Pedal Steel voices, the vibrato is usually increased by moving the Modulation wheel or (for Genos and SX models) the Joystick forward. While you can leave the Mod wheel where you want, on Genos you have to use the "Modulation Hold" button if you want the effect to persist after releasing the joystick.

Alternatively, you can go to the "Voice Edit" display for a suitable voice and generally increase the Vibrato (= periodic change in pitch) there (Voice Edit > Sound > Vibrato)

Also, maybe you could add a little more Reverb.

Regarding Voice Edit and Effects, please refer to the Genos Reference Manual from page 48 and from page 127.

By the way, in principle you can turn almost any E.Guitar Voice into a "Pedal Steel" if you in "Voice Edit > Sound > EG" slightly increase the values of the envelope parameters "Attack" (= Attack Time) and "Release" (= Release Time) and adjust Vibrato and Reverb as desired. :)

Finally, you either memorize the edited Voice directly to a Registration, or you save it in the Voice Set display as a so-called User Voice. Note that User Voices can only be used in Keyboard parts, so not to revoice Style parts, Multi Pads or MIDI files.

Hope this helps!

Best regards,
Chris
« Last Edit: August 22, 2023, 03:02:12 AM by overover »
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.

Offline jwyvern

« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2023, 08:09:57 AM »
In the past there has been criticism of the pedal steel voices by some because when playing RH chords all the notes bend whereas on a real life PS only the highest note should bend. Yamaha did change the behaviour on a later version of the PS so if this is important for the overall effect if chording when playing it should be possible to select on Genos the more "realistic" voice. (Play chords on the various PSteels and choose the one that only bends the rightmost note using the joystick). I no longer have Genos and can't remember any more  ;).

John

Offline DaveD

« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2023, 07:37:16 PM »
Thanks to all, especially Chris, who responded to my quest for information on improving the steel/Hawaiian guitar on the Genos.  I am almost there. A couple of items remain :
How do I save the modulation hold setting. Can this be done and saved to the new voice ?
Where can I adjust the parameters on the sustain pedal ?

Thanks,
DaveD

Offline overover

« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2023, 01:52:20 PM »
Thanks to all, especially Chris, who responded to my quest for information on improving the steel/Hawaiian guitar on the Genos.  I am almost there. A couple of items remain :
How do I save the modulation hold setting. Can this be done and saved to the new voice ?
Where can I adjust the parameters on the sustain pedal ?

Thanks,
DaveD

Hi Dave,

The "Modulation Hold" status cannot be saved (neither directly in the voice nor in registrations). Instead, change the Vibrato parameters in "Voice Edit > Sound" as mentioned above.

By the way, the forward movement of the joystick can be assigned (in "Voice Edit > Controller") not only to Vibrato (= LFO pitch) but also to Tremolo (= LFO Amplitude) and/or Wah effect (= LFO Filter). Unfortunately, LFO Amplitude and LFO Filter cannot be statically set to a specific value. This is only possible for the Vibrato, as mentioned.

What "parameters" do you want to "adjust" for the Sustain pedal? With the Sustain pedal pressed, each key sounds as if it were being pressed all the time. If you want a voice to "sustain" after you release the key without using the Sustain pedal, sightly increase the "Release" parameter in "Voice Edit > Sound > EG".

Best regards,
Chris
« Last Edit: August 23, 2023, 02:05:10 PM by overover »

Offline DaveD

« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2023, 09:41:45 PM »
I tried various permutations with the parameters on the foot pedal but have now abandoned the idea.
Thanks again to all who helped with the steel guitar voice.