Author Topic: Questions from a newbie  (Read 1059 times)

Offline khoi vu

Questions from a newbie
« on: August 15, 2023, 09:25:21 PM »
Dear Forumners
I am very happy to be admitted as member of PSR tutorial forum.
I am actually 83 years old and still like to learn music which should be done 70 years ago.
Now my situation is like a baby who just be able to ride a bicycle alone then my son gave me his almost new 200cc motorcycle .I am used to my 120 dollars Casio then he just give a Tyros 5 .
So,Help me ...
Instructions done on YOUTUBE for different subject are so  condensed and more confused for my understanding.
My questions
 1/How to make a bank,a folder and a file with a registered button on the 8 blue buttons .
 2/There is a button on the left side  at the bottom marked OTS link which light ON / OFF when pushed  and on the right side a row of 4 button marked One touch setting. Are they related to each other .
 3/There are two buttons at the left/low side corner ART1 and ART2 what is that for .
« Last Edit: August 15, 2023, 09:58:46 PM by Fred Smith »

Offline Fred Smith

Re: Questions from a newbie
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2023, 10:07:57 PM »
Khoi,

Please do not hijack threads. When you want to post a new question, go to the Home page, select the appropriate forum, then create a new post.

1. You cannot save an individual registration button. You save all 8 in a file. Just press the J button, and you’ll see a Save menu item. Name your file something appropriate. Most of us use the song title as the file name.

2. When the OTS link is turned on, pressing a variation button also loads its OTS. If the link is off, pressing a variation button only changes the drum pattern; if you want to change voices, you press your desired OTS button yourself.

3  ART buttons are for SuperArticulation voices. They activate a special feature of the voice, like a breath in or out. When you have a voice where these buttons light up, just press one of the buttons and see if you like what you hear.

Cheers,
Fred
Fred Smith,
Saskatoon, SK
Sun Lakes, AZ
Genos, Bose L1 compacts, Finale 2015
Check out my Registration Lessons

The following users thanked this post: khoi vu

Offline EileenL

« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2023, 11:32:40 PM »
On Yamaha Keyboards each style has a set of four One Touch Settings OTS for short.
 These will set up right hand voices that are suitable for that style. These OTS settings can also be saved to your registration buttons if you happen to like them and want to use them with other styles. When you have all eight buttons filled you can now save and name that bank onto your user section or hard drive. You are now free to make another bank of sounds but make sure you give in a different title so as not to over right the one you have just made.

Online Divemaster

« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2023, 08:05:56 AM »
It will probably be helpful to you to have a copy of the Tyros 5 manuals that you can download free from the Yamaha website.

https://uk.yamaha.com/en/products/contents/keyboards/downloads/manuals/index.html?l=en&c=keyboards&k=Tyros&p=2

And welcome. At 83 you have my admiration for still wanting to challenge yourself with music

Keith
Yamaha PSR-SX700
Korg Pa5x
Technics SX-PR900 Digital Ensemble Piano
Lenovo M10 Android tablet with Lekato page turner

Offline mikf

« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2023, 08:29:40 AM »
Khoi
If you are genuinely just starting to learn to play at 83, you have my admiration. There is so much to learn about the actual playing of music at the beginning, that I would concentrate on that. You dont need to know about registrations, articulated voices or all the other amazing things that can be done on these keyboards.
Just learn the basics and concentrate on playing. What are these -
Learn how to switch on the keyboard, control the volume and connect speakers and /or headphones
Learn how to select a voice and a style and how to change the tempo (speed)
Learn what chords are and how to drive accompaniment styles using them
Learn what a lead sheet is and how to read them. This will involve finding out about music basics like scales, time signatures, key signatures and chords

Everything else can wait ….for quite a long time.

Mike
« Last Edit: August 16, 2023, 08:40:37 AM by mikf »

Offline Robert van Weersch

« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2023, 09:45:14 AM »
To add to what the others already wrote:
  • A bank consists of a maximum of 8 registrations, which all have a dedicated button. You can save a bank to a file (on the HDD, USB etc.), even with just 1 registration (no need to fill them all). Most of my banks are for one song, mostly with 2 to 4 registrations.
  • When OTS is on, pressing a variation button will also change the OTS. Variation A uses OTS 1, variation B uses OTS 2 etc. This only works one way, so pressing an OTS button will not change the variation. Also, variations in a style normally change quite a lot more than just the drum pattern. Normally A is the "lightest" and D has all the bells and whistles.
  • ART buttons sometimes have sound effects, like fret noises or breathing. And for some instruments, they trigger a real articulation like a glissando, slide, tremolo etc. Those last articulations can also sometimes be triggered just by playing in the correct way, so then you would not even need the ART buttons.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2023, 09:56:09 AM by Robert van Weersch »
---
Yamaha Tyros 5 76
Korg Liverpool (microArranger)