Author Topic: Chords problem  (Read 795 times)

Offline LightStorm

Chords problem
« on: August 15, 2023, 09:36:51 AM »
Hi all. I don't know whether I am posting this in the right forum, but I have a PSR SX 700 and I noticed today that when using ACMP and pressing chords, I see "1+8" displayed on all chords. It sounds awful as well. Is there some setting that I have activated? I don't know how to turn off this.

Offline SciNote

Re: Chords problem
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2023, 10:20:18 AM »
I don't own that keyboard, so I cannot say for certain, but "1+8" sounds like it could be something to do with playing the root note of a chord, plus the note one octave above it.  So, as an example, perhaps a C-major chord would be sounding the notes C, E, G, and then the C one octave above the first C, instead of just C, E, and G.  But I'm not sure why that would sound bad.  Or, maybe "1+8" indicates that it is only playing an octave -- the root note, plus the note one octave up, with no other notes.  That would certainly affect the sound, because you wouldn't be getting full chords.

How are you playing your chords?  Single finger?  Or are you fingering the chords?  Beyond that, I imagine there is a selection of auto-accompaniment chord/fingering types to choose from -- I'd check that setting.

EDIT:  I checked the manual and reference guides online -- It seems there is a "1+8" type of "chord" recognized when you are in one of the "fingered" modes of auto-accompaniment, and it does just play the octave -- the root note, and the note one octave above it.  My guess is that you want a full chord background (like a full major, minor, or seventh chord) but are just playing an octave with your left hand in auto-accompaniment.  Based on what I saw in the manual (again I don't own the keyboard, and have no direct experience with it), that will not work.  In a fingered mode, playing an octave will get you just that -- two notes in an octave.  If you want a full chord, but without playing all the notes of the chord, then it looks like you have to use "single finger mode", and then play the notes as described in the manual to get the desired chord -- such as just playing one note to get the major chord for that note, or playing one note and a black key to the left of that note to get a minor chord.

Again, I'm just speculating here -- like I said above, let us know how you're playing the chords or notes on your left hand, as that may help more to determine what's going on.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2023, 10:37:28 AM by SciNote »
Bob
Current: Yamaha PSR-E433 (x2), Roland GAIA SH-01, Casio CDP-200R, Casio MT-68 (wired to bass pedals)
Past: Yamaha PSR-520, PSR-510, PSR-500, DX-7, D-80 home organ, and a few Casios

Offline mikf

« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2023, 10:34:47 AM »
Are you playing single finger chords? If you have changed the chard setting to one of the other chord recognition modes like full keyboard, or maybe have loaded a registration that has reset this without you realising, then this happens if you only play a single finger chord. The keyboard thinks you want an open or power chord ie note and octave, because it is looking for more 'fingers' to form a real chord.
 I don't have this actual model, but there there should be  chord setting selection under the split/ fingering label that lets you select the chord mode. Select either single finger or multi finger setting if you want to use single finger chords. Then also check your split point is set somewhere reasonable in the middle of the keyboard.
This should fix it.
Mike

Online Divemaster

« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2023, 10:36:42 AM »
Hi Lightstorm.

I think Bob and Mike have nailed it.

I DO  have the SX-700, and what's probably happened is that the FINGERING has been changed by something you've played.

to rectify it is simple. Go to MENU 1    Split and Fingering, then set the type of fingering to FINGERED.
That's the default setting.

If that doen't do it, RESET your SX700 by holding down the last WHITE key on the right of your keyboard whilst turning the keyboard on. Keep your finger pressed down until the full colour screen comes up, and you are now back at exactly the stage your keyboard arrived in.
This can happen when a Style or Registration automatically changes the fingering. If you want to lock it in one particular setting it's easy to do, but I wouldn't do that as it has limitations.

The important thing is HOW do you play your chords, as previously said by Bob. The different settings are for that purpose. I play my chords with 3 or 4 fingers, so you might do so differently.

Hope this helps

Keith.

« Last Edit: August 15, 2023, 10:39:18 AM by Divemaster »
Yamaha PSR-SX700
Korg Pa5x
Technics SX-PR900 Digital Ensemble Piano
Lenovo M10 Android tablet with Lekato page turner

Offline mikf

« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2023, 01:13:05 PM »
If they are using single fingered chords a lot (which I suspect is the case) then choosing multi fingered might be best option.
Mike

The following users thanked this post: Divemaster