Author Topic: Saved Style Files . Unable to re install to replacement keyboard  (Read 1577 times)

Offline Technics

Before selling my Tyros 4 keyboard I saved my large collection of style files (Song Specific) to my Pc.
The files saved successfully to folders on my PC . A few weeks ago I purchased another Tyros  4 but the saved files will not transfer back to a USB for use on the Tyros KB. The folders transfer but all empty of styles. I would appreciate if anyone can help. I’ve been saving these style files for years and the majority were downloaded from internet forums etc.

Offline Bill

Re: Saved Style Files . Unable to re install to replacement keyboard
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2023, 11:02:50 PM »
Presumably you can seen all the files within the folders on your PC.
How are you transferring the folders on to your new T4. Are you trying the direct connection between the KB & PC or are you putting them onto a USB Stick first.

We would need to know what you are doing before we can give you a solution.  Otherwise we will give you far too many possibilities and just create more confusion.

Regards

Bill

England

Current KB:  YAMAHA GENOS 2

Offline EileenL

« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2023, 11:47:51 PM »
Are you pressing the style button first before opening the folders on your USB stick.
  As you know you have to tell the keyboard what you are looking for, be it Styles, Registrations, Multi Pads or songs.

Offline Technics

« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2023, 11:21:29 PM »
Hi Bill
Thanks for your reply. The files were originally copied to a USB stick before selling my keyboard (T4). I then copied them successfully to my PC. Now that I’ve got another T4, I tried to copy the files from my PC to a USB stick for use on my keyboard. As said, the folders transferred ok but without any contents. A warning notice said these files can’t be copied despite them being posted online by other users and keyboard forums. I’ve been collecting styles especially song specific for the last 20 or so years and not had this problem before even when changing keyboards from T 1 to T 4.
Thanks for any advice you can offer.
Regards
Mike

Offline Technics

« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2023, 11:29:45 PM »
Hi Eileen
Yes I did press the Style button first but as  I said in the reply to Bill, the screen  notification said these files cannot be copied .
I  would appreciate any help you can give.
Regards Mike

Offline Fred Smith

« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2023, 11:58:05 PM »
Hi Eileen
Yes I did press the Style button first but as  I said in the reply to Bill, the screen  notification said these files cannot be copied .
I  would appreciate any help you can give.
Regards Mike

OK, leave the copying for later.

What happens when you load a style from the USB drive?

Also, tell us how many files are in the folder.

Cheers,
Fred
Fred Smith,
Saskatoon, SK
Sun Lakes, AZ
Genos, Bose L1 compacts, Finale 2015
Check out my Registration Lessons

Offline Bill

« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2023, 11:34:29 AM »
Hi Mike

I assume you are trying to copy the files from your USB drive back onto the Hard Drive of the T4.
Trying the copy command on the keyboard is frought with problems because of the way the KB filing system works. It is limited to single files types in one process.
Rather than trying to copy folders across you should try and create the folder on the hard drive first, then copy the files across using the copy all feature.

You should try and connect the KB directly to the PC (using a printer type cable) and transfer thing over directly.

The other ting as Fred suggested is forget the copying and just use the styles from the USB Stick.

Bill
« Last Edit: August 15, 2023, 12:01:17 PM by Bill »
England

Current KB:  YAMAHA GENOS 2

Offline mikf

« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2023, 02:17:53 PM »
It doesn’t solve the problem you are asking about, but maybe you should use this opportunity to cull these large file collections. When you ‘hoard’ huge style collections you invite many problems :
- it’s not practical to find something suitable for the song you want to play because it becomes a needle in a haystack
 - large unaudited collections inevitably have some bad files and that can cause issues with copying, searching, etc
 - many will just be copies of each other, or even just on board Yamaha styles with a tempo change
 - people with huge collections seldom quality audit individual files and dump the poorly made ones, so there will inevitably be a lot of pretty useless junk in there.
It’s tempting to collect styles and never delete any, but the fact is that most of it will never get used. It is similar to people who keep every screw, bolt, nut and nail they ever had. Unless they are really rigorous about how they organize them, they usually find it easier and quicker to go to the store and buy new ones than search through the many tins and boxes in their of unlabeled old stuff in the hope of finding the correct one. So the collection just grows and grows - and is hardly ever useful. I think’ all of us go thru this phase with styles before we figure out it’s often just a huge waste of time.
Best to keep a high quality smaller collection that you can actually search and use. Organizing some of it by song title rather than just genre after you have audited, it is also good idea. Then it’s easy to find.
Mike

Offline EileenL

« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2023, 03:04:56 PM »
I do agree Mike,
  Most of us have collected styles that are just plonked on forums and not tested to see if they work OK. I go through styles I know I will use and I tweak and revoice to suit and add my own OTS then save onto my user memory on Genos. It will be Hard drive on Tyros 4.
  I make a folder fist called dedicated styles and then place them in there knowing they will all work correctly. The rest I Dump.

Offline Divemaster

« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2023, 03:21:18 PM »

It’s tempting to collect styles and never delete any, but the fact is that most of it will never get used. It is similar to people who keep every screw, bolt, nut and nail they ever had. Unless they are really rigorous about how they organize them, they usually find it easier and quicker to go to the store and buy new ones than search through the many tins and boxes in their of unlabeled old stuff in the hope of finding the correct one. So the collection just grows and grows - and is hardly ever useful. I think’ all of us go thru this phase with styles before we figure out it’s often just a huge waste of time.

Mike

I am one of these people Mike. 
Don't knock it !

Before anything is thrown out, it is ruthlessly stripped for any hardware that's useful. Nuts, bolts, washers, springs, grommets, screws, nails, brackets, hinges, casings, wire and cable, and many many other items. All have a carefully stored place in my garage.

Only this week I came across some old grease nipples from some old track rods I hoarded way back.

My wife looked at me in amazement this morning, as I positively bounced down the stairs !  What's got into you, she shouted......
Grease nipples I shouted back exuberantly!  Two on the hips, two on my knees, two on the ankles a squirt with the grease gun, and I'm ready for another hundred years !!

Still looking for a few bits, but there's time yet.   ;D ;D

Keith.
Yamaha PSR-SX700
Korg Pa5x
Technics SX-PR900 Digital Ensemble Piano
Lenovo M10 Android tablet with Lekato page turner

Offline Technics

« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2023, 09:58:08 PM »
Firstly many thanks for all the reply’s to my problem. I’ll take all your advice and work through the files to weed out any problems and try again. Since posting  I found a usb stick ( back up ) which I made some time ago and a lot of the files have successfully  loaded on to the T 4. The rest I’ll work through in time  using your advice.
Many thanks for all your advice
Regards
Mike

Offline Fred Smith

« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2023, 10:10:12 PM »
Firstly many thanks for all the reply’s to my problem. I’ll take all your advice and work through the files to weed out any problems and try again. Since posting  I found a usb stick ( back up ) which I made some time ago and a lot of the files have successfully  loaded on to the T 4. The rest I’ll work through in time  using your advice.
Many thanks for all your advice
Regards
Mike

My bet, Mike, is you have too many files in your folder on your new USB. Use a computer to split the folder, and I’ll bet they become visible to the keyboard.

Cheers,
Fred
Fred Smith,
Saskatoon, SK
Sun Lakes, AZ
Genos, Bose L1 compacts, Finale 2015
Check out my Registration Lessons

Offline Technics

« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2023, 08:38:12 PM »
To The numerous helpers, many thanks for all your help and advice. After several hours without success i found two USB sticks . The first had all the folders containing all the files. Tried to load it to the T4 and message came up on T4 screen that the USB Device wasn't formatted for use on the keyboard and therefore couldn't be used. Tried the second USB and it was both formatted and contained all my style collections . They're now all transferred to the HD drive on the keyboard. Thanks again.

The following users thanked this post: Keyboard Master