Author Topic: VCE Files  (Read 815 times)

Offline meyrick

VCE Files
« on: August 11, 2023, 05:17:04 AM »
I have acquired 32451 VCE files over time. Some have No. ref 0007-Reg1 thru 7.825.vce. It means nothing to me. I know all the instruments of the orchestra and more, but some of these names are a complete mystery. Is there any way I can listen to these files to find out what they are?
Any assistance would be most appreciated.
Thanks in advance
meyrick

Offline BogdanH

Re: VCE Files
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2023, 09:07:13 AM »
VCE is a voice settings file and you use it on keyboards as any other Preset voice. Copy VCE files on USB stick and put the stick into keyboard: now you can select each VCE (as voice) either directly from USB, or you copy VCE files into User memory and use them from there (so you don't need to have USB stick plugged in all the time).
Keep in mind that VCE is not a voice! -it's only a setting for particular voice which must be present on your keyboard. If needed voice doesn't exist on your keyboard, then you will get unpredictable result by using such VCE.

My personal opinion: I have no idea why would someone collect VCE (voice setting) files. Every voice setting is usually made for particular song/music that we wish to play. That is, we select actual voice on keyboard and adjust it's settings according to our wishes. Once we have what we want, we save our settings as new voice (which is then VCE file).

Bogdan
PSR-SX700 on K&M-18820 stand
Playing for myself on Youtube

The following users thanked this post: Dave Shively

Offline overover

« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2023, 09:35:58 AM »
Hi meyrick,

.vce files are User Voice files, also called Voice Set files, which are created when you copy a Preset Voice in the Voice Selection display or save a Voice in the Voice Set display (on earlier models) or Voice Edit display (on current models).

Such User Voice files are basically MIDI files (.mid) and can have various file extensions, e.g.:
    .vce = Regular
    .liv = Live!
    .clv = Cool!
    .swv = Sweet!
    .nlv = S.Art!
    .sar = S.Art!
    .sa2 = S.Art2!
    .mgv = MegaVoice
    .org = Organ Flutes

.drm = drums
    .ldr = Live!Drums
    .sfx = SFX kit
    .lsf = Live!SFX kit

A User Voice is always based on a Preset Voice (of the keyboard model it was created with). If this Voice does not exist on the target keyboard (to which it is loaded), an attempt will either be made to load a similar Voice (and apply the Voice Set parameters contained in the User Voice file to it) or the Voice will remain silent.

To listen to User Voices, i.e. your .vce files, copy them to a USB stick and load the desired files in the Voice Selection display, e.g. in Right1.

To see on which Preset Voice a User Voice (e.g. .vce) file is based, you can open it in the PC (Windows) program "MixMaster".
>>> https://psrtutorial.com/MB/EV_Files/mixmaster.html

Then click on "Voices View" or "List View". It is best to set your instrument in the menu bar beforehand. (You may first need to add one or more instruments to the "User Instruments" column in "Options > Open Instrument Manager".)

Hope this helps!

Best regards,
Chris
« Last Edit: August 11, 2023, 09:42:20 AM by overover »
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.
➪ Never put the manual too far away: There's more in it than you think! ;-)

The following users thanked this post: Graham UK, Pityus

Offline Graham UK

« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2023, 12:05:21 PM »
I find the Voice Edit a very useful feature.
I have a number of my favorite Voices tweaked and saved as VCE's, used mainly in OTS & Style Part Voices.
DGX670

Offline meyrick

« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2023, 12:36:02 PM »
Thanks to all for your helpful replies. I see the answer from Chris has been given before to a similar question some time ago. Thanks to BogdanH, I haven't actually purposely saved these files, and how they have found their way onto a USB stick I cannot say. However, you explained how I can at least sample these files, then perhaps I can decide what, if anything to do with them. Thanks to you all for your help.
meyrick