Author Topic: Electric guitar sounds not accessible  (Read 1070 times)

Offline Whino

Electric guitar sounds not accessible
« on: August 07, 2023, 11:35:15 AM »
I wonder if anyone can advise me please? My Tyros 5 keyboard has suddely developed a fault. If I press the E Guitar button, nothing happens and the light does not come on. All the other buttons are working fine. This means I cannot select an Electric Guitar from that section although all the styles which already containg an electric guitar sound are working normaly. It's almost as if there is a fault on just that one button. Has anyone any idea what could be causing this and how to fix it? Regards Tony

Offline RoyB

Re: Electric guitar sounds not accessible
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2023, 12:36:34 PM »
You don't need to press a Voice selector button to select a voice (I know it's a habit, but I rarely use the Voice buttons to select a voice).

Instead, press the Part Select button to select Right 1, or Right 2, etc. Then when the Part selector button is lit, press it again to access the Voice selection section on the screen. Use the screen buttons (A...J) and the 8Up button to move through the voice section menus and voices to select an electric guitar voice.

Regards

Roy
Roy

Tyros 5-76; Roland FA08; Yammex V3; Behringer Q502USB; Arturia BeatStep; Alesis Elevate 3 MkIII;  Yamaha YST-FSW050; Sony MDR 7510; MultiTrackStudio Pro + AAMS.

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCQu3I6XidcZWOmsl_FM49_Q/videos

Offline Toril S

« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2023, 02:00:12 PM »
Excellent suggestion from Roy! It seems like there is something wrong with the button.
Toril S

Genos, Tyros 5, PSR S975, PSR 2100
and PSR-47.
Former keyboards: PSR-S970.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCLVwWdb36Yd3LMBjAnm6pTQ?view_as=subscriber

Toril's PSR Performer Page

Offline overover

« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2023, 03:56:58 PM »
Hi Whino,

Instead of the Part Select buttons, you can also use the display buttons F - I: Press the button next to the currently selected part (e.g. the "F" button for the Right1 part) to open the Voice Selection display for that part. To go to another part, press the corresponding button (e.g. "G") once to select that part and then press the same button a second time to open the Voice Selection display.

To go to a different Voice Category, press the upper "8" (UP) button. Then you will see all Voice Category folders. (Don't forget the folders on Page 2!) Now select (open) the desired Category folder, and then select the desired Voice for the current part.

By the way, with the E.Guitar Voice Category button, there is probably an internal contact problem with the so-called "tact switch", which is located below the button on the circuit board. Please check whether the button is restricted in its mobility due to spilled liquid (e.g. beer, cola). If so, you could try cleaning the gap between button and panel with a slightly damp cloth and possibly a wooden toothpick. The contact problem may disappear (at least temporarily) if you press this button very often. If you want to have the defective button repaired (replaced), I recommend that you have this done by an authorized Yamaha Service Center. The switches under the panel buttons are only accessible if some boards are removed. You also need basic knowledge of electronics and soldering. Therefore, I do not recommend doing such a repair yourself.

Best regards,
Chris
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.
➪ Never put the manual too far away: There's more in it than you think! ;-)

Offline Whino

« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2023, 11:35:01 AM »
Thanks to everyone for your help.
The workarounds work :)