Author Topic: Hooking up DGX 670  (Read 1126 times)

Offline jomb

Hooking up DGX 670
« on: August 06, 2023, 07:54:15 PM »
Since there are no aux outs, how does one achieve a stereo signal to my zed mixer. I tried a trs out of the headphone jack and into the zed stereo inputs l/r with the splitter. Sound is unacceptable. Help please

Offline mikf

Re: Hooking up DGX 670
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2023, 08:27:37 PM »
You are doing it correctly, stereo jack into the phone/output jack and into the left and right channels of your external device. See the manual page 20.
If the sound is unacceptable, you should first check you have the right lead ie it is a proper stereo jack plug and left right splitter. And that the output from the mixer is correct ie stereo channels into separate amps. And if that still isn’t working try going straight to your stereo amps.
I know this works on the DGX because I heard it played through a big external system, and the sound was fantastic.
Mike

Offline overover

« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2023, 09:15:51 PM »
Since there are no aux outs, how does one achieve a stereo signal to my zed mixer. I tried a trs out of the headphone jack and into the zed stereo inputs l/r with the splitter. Sound is unacceptable. Help please

Welcome to the PSR Tutorial Forum, jomb!

The correct cable is a so called "Insert cable" (TRS plug > 2 * TS plugs). Note that a balanced Y cable (TRS plug > 2 * TRS) cannot be used.

By the way, unfortunately the output level on the DGX-670's Headphones/Aux Output jack is relativly low (lower than on the Headphones jacks of Genos/Tyros5/etc. and MUCH lower than on the Line Outputs of Genos/Tyros5/PSR-S/SX).

With some (cheap) external mixers you might not have enough input gain available to amplify this low input signal to the necessary working level (so noise/poor sound quality can occur). If you have this problem, you could use the "Output" control of the DGX-670 Master Compressor to increase the overall output level a bit.

My tip is also to use a high quality, ACTIVE stereo DI box. The "Palmer PAN 04A" is highly recommended (phantom power from the mixer or external power adapter required!). In this case, connect the DGX-670 to the DI box using a short "TRS > 2 * TS" cable and then go from there with two balanced "XLR female > XLR male" cables to two XLR inputs of the mixer (panned hard Left/Right) or with two "XLR female > TRS" cables to the L/R jacks of a balanced stereo input of the mixer.

Hope this helps!

Best regards,
Chris
« Last Edit: August 06, 2023, 09:22:42 PM by overover »
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.
➪ Never put the manual too far away: There's more in it than you think! ;-)

Offline jomb

« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2023, 01:01:10 AM »
Thanks all. The splitter from trs headphone out to dual unbalanced ZED ins works great. Through my ZED alone, there is sufficient head room.