Author Topic: EQ settings  (Read 3594 times)

Offline Mr. Gary

EQ settings
« on: August 05, 2023, 08:28:23 AM »
I’ve recently purchased a pair of M-Audio BX-D3 speakers for my Genos.
I’ve selected (what I think is) the best position for the three pole switch on the rear of the speakers but if there are any suggestions on how to achieve the best EQ settings for them and Genos I’d be most grateful to hear.
Best regards
Gary

Offline overover

Re: EQ settings
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2023, 12:58:25 PM »
Hi Gary,

In the manual, the manufacturer M-Audio writes the following about the "Acoustic Space" switch on the back:

The BX5 D3 monitors should ideally be placed at least one foot away from the nearest wall, ceiling, or other large, flat surface. However, this may be impractical due to space limitations within your studio. For that reason, BX5 D3 monitors feature an Acoustic Space switch. This switch compensates for placement near walls.

Tip: Be sure to leave at least 3" of space between the rear of the speaker and a wall to allow the rear-firing port to "breathe" properly. Placing the speaker any closer than 3" may adversely affect low-frequency response.

So make sure you keep at least a one foot distance from walls. The monitors should also be set up at ear height, i.e. not too high or too low.

On the Genos I recommend the Master EQ setting "FLAT" and the Master CMP setting "Natural". Set the "Acoustic Space" switch on the back of the BX5 D3 monitors to "FLAT" as well. If the low frequencies are then too much, you can lower them to -2dB or -4dB with this switch.

I now recommend playing with the setting mentioned for a while (preferably with Preset Styles and their OTS) to get used to this sound. Of course, you can still make minor changes to the Genos Master EQ and/or Master Compressor if necessary, but GOOD speakers should already sound very good with FLAT settings.

Best regards,
Chris
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.
➪ Never put the manual too far away: There's more in it than you think! ;-)

Offline Mr. Gary

Re: EQ settings
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2023, 07:12:31 PM »
Thanks for the prompt reply Chris, will give that a go ..!