Author Topic: Missing voices?  (Read 1998 times)

Offline Pupflyer

Missing voices?
« on: July 30, 2023, 05:06:31 PM »
Hi, newbie here!
                              Had my Genos for a few months after trading in my Ringway RS1000e.
Just a quick note re the voices, which are generally excellent ;personal favourites being pianos, elect.pianos,guitars,woodwind(not saxes however), brass-sublime flugel and soft tpt,love the organs especially the Wersi! so many strings, good grief! and of course the Revo drums are just so good. Synths and pads are all there if that's what floats your boat, great choice. I of course understand perception of voice quality is purely subjective,however, I have a couple of beefs;why no solo French horn or cor anglais, but multiple oboes, flutes. I miss a timp roll too. I'm also struggling to find a really convincing string bass, or is that just me?
P. S. Found a beautiful trombone in Legacy!
David.

Re: Missing voices?
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2023, 06:34:47 PM »
Hi, newbie here!
                              I have a couple of beefs;why no solo French horn or cor anglais, but multiple oboes, flutes. I miss a timp roll too. I'm also struggling to find a really convincing string bass, or is that just me?
David.

Try this link, it's a Yamaha free download of voices and expansions. You might find something you like better.
:)

https://shop.usa.yamaha.com/en/c/downloadables/sound-expansion-library/premium-packs-voices

Genos2, Montage M6, Maschine Micro NI, Cubase 13, Komplete 14 Ultimate, Arturia Analog Lab, HALion7, Groove Agent 5, HS8 Speakers.

Offline Pupflyer

« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2023, 01:50:27 PM »
Many thanks Christopher, will investigate. D

Offline overover

« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2023, 02:40:12 PM »
Try this link, it's a Yamaha free download of voices and expansions. You might find something you like better.
:)

https://shop.usa.yamaha.com/en/c/downloadables/sound-expansion-library/premium-packs-voices

@Pupflyer
Hi David,

Welcome to the PSR Tutorial Forum!

I recommend using the link below to download the free Yamaha Expansion Packs. There you can download the packs directly, i.e. you do not have to register / log in beforehand, as is necessary on shop.usa.yamaha.com.
>>> https://uk.yamaha.com/en/products/contents/keyboards/vse/index.html

Best regards
Chris
« Last Edit: July 31, 2023, 02:47:12 PM by overover »
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.
➪ Never put the manual too far away: There's more in it than you think! ;-)

Offline overover

« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2023, 03:21:30 PM »
... I of course understand perception of voice quality is purely subjective,however, I have a couple of beefs;why no solo French horn or cor anglais, but multiple oboes, flutes. I miss a timp roll too. I'm also struggling to find a really convincing string bass, or is that just me?
David.

Hi David,

I often find it easier to search for Voices in the Voice List (Genos Data List from page 3) than directly on the keyboard. Use the search function of your PDF reader program on the computer and use search terms that are as short as possible (e.g. "horn"), to quickly find all corresponding Voices.

If you don't have the Data List yet, you can download it (and all other Genos manuals) here:
>>> https://uk.yamaha.com/en/products/musical_instruments/keyboards/arranger_workstations/genos/downloads.html#product-tabs

Best regards,
Chris
« Last Edit: July 31, 2023, 03:23:20 PM by overover »
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.

Offline pjd

« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2023, 07:21:42 PM »
I of course understand perception of voice quality is purely subjective,however, I have a couple of beefs;why no solo French horn or cor anglais, but multiple oboes, flutes. I miss a timp roll too. I'm also struggling to find a really convincing string bass, or is that just me?

Hi David --

You probably found the "English Horn" in the Legacy section, by now. If you're looking for "Cor Anglais", you probably know that "English Horn" is a mistranslation of "Cor Anglais".  :) Typically, Yamaha will use the name "English Horn".

Gotta admit, I'm stumped about the lack of solo French Horn, too. You may find a solo French Horn among the XG voices, which are a little tricky to access on Genos.

I know there's a timp roll in there somewhere...

Hope this helps -- pj

[Update] OK, they got me. No timpani roll. I guess you'll need to sequence one of your own via MIDI. Maybe create a custom MULTI PAD with a timpani roll?

« Last Edit: July 31, 2023, 07:35:25 PM by pjd »

Offline pjd

« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2023, 11:32:54 PM »
I noticed that Sound Wonderland has some interesting Multi Pads, including drum rolls and orchestral multipads.

Heidrun Dolde created the Multi Pads, so they are probably excellent.  :D

All the best -- pj

Offline overover

« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2023, 12:18:15 AM »
... I miss a timp roll too. ...

Hi David,

You can download a zip file containing two TimpaniRoll Multi Pad Bank files (.pad) from my Dropbox by clicking the following link:
>>> https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/oj8xd9bwsnrjsmieypiq4/pad-TimpaniRolls75-100bpm.zip?rlkey=sb3kibe5rjckpvcdq98fjk8r5&dl=0

Note that you don't need to register or log in on dropbox.com. If you get a corresponding pop-up, just close or ignore it and click the Download (down arrow) button.

By the way, these Multi Pad files are from the "Romance Latino" Expansion Pack.

Have fun!

Best regards,
Chris
« Last Edit: August 01, 2023, 12:25:18 AM by overover »

The following users thanked this post: fjafan, Duffy, wersianer, colas musique

Offline pjd

« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2023, 05:49:22 PM »

Thanks, Chris, I'm going to give these a try -- pj

Offline andyg

« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2023, 10:21:06 PM »
If you're looking for "Cor Anglais", you probably know that "English Horn" is a mistranslation of "Cor Anglais".

Interesting info on the name from Wiki.

!The term cor anglais is French for English horn, but the instrument is neither from England nor related to the various conical-bore brass instruments called "horns", such as the French horn, the natural horn, the post horn, or the tenor horn. The instrument originated in Silesia about 1720 when a bulb bell was fitted to a curved oboe da caccia-type body by the Weigel family of Breslau. The two-keyed, open-belled, straight tenor oboe (French taille de hautbois, "tenor oboe"), and more particularly the flare-belled oboe da caccia, resembled the horns played by angels in religious images of the Middle Ages. This gave rise in German-speaking central Europe to the Middle High German name engellisches Horn, meaning angelic horn. Because engellisch also meant English in the vernacular of the time, the "angelic horn" became the "English horn". In the absence of any better alternative, the curved, bulb-belled tenor oboe then retained the name even after the oboe da caccia fell into disuse around 1760.[7] The name first appeared regularly in Italian, German, and Austrian scores from 1749 on, usually in the Italian form corno inglese.[8]

I've also read that the name stems from a mis-hearing and resultant mis-hearing of the French 'Cor Anglé', relating to the curved oboes mentioned above. Either seems plausible, but I guess almost everyone calls it English Horn these days. :)

Here's a link to some Timp multipads, programmed by an old friend some years ago. Sadly no longer with us, I'm sure he'd want his work to live on! https://app.box.com/s/0o190q5r4r33e01i5h2911kzndp0o4ff

It's not what you play, it's not how you play. It's the fact that you're playing that counts.

www.andrew-gilbert.com

The following users thanked this post: Ed B, fjafan, overover, wersianer

Offline Pupflyer

« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2023, 04:12:48 PM »
Many thanks to all of who've replied to mine;I've looked in Legacy and found a solo horn(ok) and cor anglais or english horn(poor).
I now find myself searching in vain for an orchestral bass section, pizzicato. Lots of great string bass samples for jazz ensembles or whatever, and nice orchestral bass sections bowed but no pizz!
Help please.