Author Topic: PSR sx900 dead on arrival?  (Read 1308 times)

Offline zersiax

PSR sx900 dead on arrival?
« on: July 25, 2023, 12:17:23 AM »
Hi all,

I received my sx900 today. SUpposedly a b-stock item that functioned perfectly, I ...have my doubts.
I'm just going to list my observations here to see if you come to the same conclusions because I'm honestly not sure if this is salvageable:

- The keyboard turns on, screen comes on and shows the home screen, but provides no sound whatsoever.
- Playing the keys does not generate sound.
- As a test, I jacked a device into the AUX jack, wondering if perhaps the speakers or the sound connector were busted. It doesn't appear that is the case because the device plays through the speakers for a split second. The instrument emits the two clicks that most modern PSRs play on boot and between the two clicks, I'd say about a half second, the audio plays, but is immediately muted again when the screen shifts to the home screen and the second click is heard.
= This made me think it was a firmware issue so I tried opening the menu to do a factory reset ...only ... not of the panel buttons appear to be functional. The touch screen works fine, I can do stuff on there, but none of the buttons appear to do anything at all. So if this is a software issue, I honestly don't know how else I could trigger a full restore/reset.

I am in a bit of a limited situation here given I am fully blind as well, so any interactions I currently have to perform while someone's looking through my camera. Normally, the voice guide would do the heavy lifting but given the sound isn't working my hands are somewhat tied.

It's an odd one. The speakers only working for a split second makes me think its a software glitch, but then none of the buttons working ... I dunno. ANyone seen this before?
I already tried holding down the rightmost note while powering up, that would solve a thing or two on older PSR's and I'm not sure if it even still works but at this point I'm seemingly forced to return it to have it serviced. Was a birthday present too so I'd rather not but what can you do :)

Zersiax

Offline Divemaster

Re: PSR sx900 dead on arrival?
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2023, 07:56:41 AM »
Hi Zersiax

I think the obvious answer is to return it to the Seller without delay. If it was described as fully functioning, then obviously it should work.

Just check a couple of things re the sound issue.

Has somebody left a Headphone plug or adapter plug in the Headphone jack socket in the keyboard. That would account for there being no sound.

Also check the volume knob. If it's turned full to the left you'll get no sound. Rotate it round to the right for increased volume.

Let us know how this proceeds

Keith

Yamaha PSR-SX700
Korg Pa5x
Technics SX-PR900 Digital Ensemble Piano
Lenovo M10 Android tablet with Lekato page turner

Offline ton37

« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2023, 08:08:16 AM »
🤔I fully agree with @Divemaster's advise. In addition: To perform a factory reset on the SX900 go to Menu > Utility > Factory Reset/Backup (page 1/2). Here checkmark the boxes of the desired parameters then touch [Factory Reset] to initialize the settings of the parameters which are checkmarked.
Good luck
My best regards,
Ton

Offline overover

« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2023, 08:21:51 AM »
Welcome to the PSR Tutorial Forum, Zersiax!

Yes, even with the SX900, a System Reset (resetting the custom settings in System Setup to factory defaults) can be triggered by holding down the right-most white key (C6) while powering on.

First of all please make sure that (as already mentioned by Keith) there is no adapter plug (6.3 mm to 3.5 mm) in the headphone jack. This would turn off the internal speakers.

If you can call up the display "MENU > Line Out", please make sure that there in the "Panel" tab all Parts are routed to "Main" and in the "Drum & Percussion" tab all Instruments are routed to "Depends On Part". In addition, the "Sub1-2 / AUX" switch should be in the "AUX" position.

However, since you wrote that the Panel buttons do not work, there is probably a more serious problem (hardware defect). This is also indicated by the fact that the so-called "mute circuit" does not unmute the speakers at the end of the boot process.

The internal Test program can be used to carry out a full Factory Reset. It can be called up by holding three specific piano keys while turning it on. However, in order to operate the Test program, also the Panel buttons must work, at least the STYLE START/STOP button, the TRANSPOSE -/+ buttons and the TEMPO -/+ buttons.

If you want to try the Test program, just get in touch here again, then I will send you the necessary information via PM (Personal Message).

Best regards,
Chris
« Last Edit: July 25, 2023, 11:11:25 AM by overover »
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.
➪ Never put the manual too far away: There's more in it than you think! ;-)

Offline zersiax

« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2023, 09:12:27 AM »
Ět's always worth trying. The aux circuit seems to work for a split second, so the audio does appear to at least be wired up properly, it's just not being given a chance to work almost. I am relatively certain it's a hardware defect as well but it can't hurt to try.
There's definitely no plug in the headphone jack, plugging my own in was the first thing I did and that doesn't seem to restore sound either which made me figure it was a software issue at first, like all parts being muted or some internal volume being turned all the way down but yeah ... I had someone look over my shoulder and pressing the menu button from home, as well as any other ubtton did not appear to do anything whatsoever.

Offline overover

« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2023, 11:06:47 AM »
Hi Zersiax,

I have sent you a PM (Personal Message) with a link to download a PDF with information for using the internal Test program. There are two different methods to call it up.

If you can run the Test program, please try to execute Test #064 (Factory Set) followed by #065 (Test Exit). Then restart the SX900 and wait until the Home display appears. (This takes a little longer than usual because the "Force Format Mode" is executed first.)

Best regards,
Chris
« Last Edit: July 25, 2023, 11:10:45 AM by overover »
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.

Offline BogdanH

« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2023, 11:08:21 AM »
hi zeriax,
You say "..not of the panel buttons appear to be functional", so I assume display content doesn't change when you press (for example) MENU or MIXER/EQ or ACMP button on keyboard panel... am I right?
If that's the case, then there's definitely a hardware issue in my opinion -my guess would be connection between panel buttons and circuit board. Anyway, if possible, I would return the keyboard in this case.

Still, I'm curious if keybed is working... to check that (without using panel buttons), try the following:
1. Touch current Style on display and the style selection display will appear
2. Touch Menu icon on the top-right side and select Mixer from menu
3. Touch Master on the top row and then make sure that Compressor page is selected
4. If Compressor is ON, then turn it OFF.

Now press keys on keybed and observe Output indicator on display. Does it shows peak levels when you hit the keys?
If answer is yes, then keybed connection is fine and also sound engine is working properly.
Btw. I recommend to connect external amplifier/loudspeaker to MAIN OUTPUT (instead of AUX).

Bogdan

PSR-SX700 on K&M-18820 stand
Playing for myself on Youtube

Offline Divemaster

« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2023, 03:21:57 PM »
Further to my earlier post.
This is a long shot, and may make no sense to those more electrically knowledgeable than I am.
But I wonder, with it being supplied as "B" stock, has it maybe been supplied to you with an incorrect power lead and more importantly the adaptor?

The proper Yamaha one is essential for proper operation. This adaptor should be a PA-300C or one approved by Yamaha with a power consumption of 24w.

Just a thought......I appreciate your lack of sight must make this very difficult for you to work around.

Keith.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2023, 09:28:46 PM by Divemaster »
Yamaha PSR-SX700
Korg Pa5x
Technics SX-PR900 Digital Ensemble Piano
Lenovo M10 Android tablet with Lekato page turner

Offline Enildo

« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2023, 03:52:25 PM »
Have you checked the "Line OUT"?
If it is set to SUB1 or SUB2, no sound will come out of the speakers.

Enildo
When word fail, Music speaks!

Offline overover

« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2023, 05:08:04 PM »
Have you checked the "Line OUT"?
If it is set to SUB1 or SUB2, no sound will come out of the speakers.

Enildo

Hi Enildo,

I already mentioned the Line Out settings in my first post above:

If you can call up the display "MENU > Line Out", please make sure that there in the "Panel" tab all Parts are routed to "Main" and in the "Drum & Percussion" tab all Instruments are routed to "Depends On Part". In addition, the "Sub1-2 / AUX" switch should be in the "AUX" position.

However, since you wrote that the Panel buttons do not work, there is probably a more serious problem (hardware defect). ...

But in addition to the missing sound, the Panel buttons also do not work, so there is obviously a hardware problem.

Best regards,
Chris
« Last Edit: July 27, 2023, 05:09:06 PM by overover »