Author Topic: Can I change an icon in a style?  (Read 1199 times)

Offline Newman 3

Can I change an icon in a style?
« on: July 24, 2023, 11:30:15 PM »
I would like to change the icon in some of my styles.
Is this possible?

I'm not very computer savvy.

Thanks in advance,
Chris

Offline Fred Smith

Re: Can I change an icon in a style?
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2023, 01:12:43 AM »
I would like to change the icon in some of my styles.
Is this possible?

I'm not very computer savvy.

You can.

Navigate to the style whose icon you want to change. Select File>Rename. In the rename procedure you'll see a button marked icon, from which you can select a new icon.

Cheers,
Fred
Fred Smith,
Saskatoon, SK
Sun Lakes, AZ
Genos, Bose L1 compacts, Finale 2015
Check out my Registration Lessons

Offline Newman 3

« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2023, 02:48:32 AM »
Thank you so much Fred. It works... Woo Hoo

I've got some laborious work ahead of me now as my Style files and Registration files have been added to over many years and are all over the place, what fun...

Many thanks,
Chris

Offline overover

« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2023, 07:21:27 AM »
Welcome to the PSR Tutorial Forum, Chris!

Please note that changing the icon also will change the name of the file in question, as the so-called "Icon ID", consisting of a period followed by a letter (S or T) and three digits, is part of the file name. If you subsequently change the icon for files (e.g. user styles) used in registrations, the registrations in question will no longer work because they can no longer find the linked files due to the changed file names (just as if you would move the user files to a different location). The Icon ID in the file names (e.g. ".S123") as well as the file extension (e.g. ".sty") is only visible on the computer, but not directly on the keyboard.

By the way, you can rename or move Registration Bank files or change their icon at any time afterwards (except on newer models if the registrations in question are used in PLAYLISTS).

Best regards,
Chris
« Last Edit: July 25, 2023, 07:28:12 AM by overover »
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.
➪ Never put the manual too far away: There's more in it than you think! ;-)

Offline Newman 3

« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2023, 08:28:25 AM »
Thanks overover,
I wondered about that.

Does changing the icon by selecting the "icon" button in the "ReName" section overwrite the original icon? Or do I need to save the style as well?

Offline overover

« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2023, 11:31:50 AM »
Thanks overover,
I wondered about that.

Does changing the icon by selecting the "icon" button in the "ReName" section overwrite the original icon? Or do I need to save the style as well?

Hi Chris,

Preset Content (e.g. Preset Styles) cannot be overwritten. If you make your own adjustments (this also includes changing the icon) you have to resave the file in question (in this case the Style). An existing user file (e.g. a User Style) must also be saved again after changing the icon.

Note that the User drive is very small on the Tyros4 (only a few MB). So it is best to save on the internal hard disk (HD1) or on a USB stick (USB1). By the way, I recommend not to save directly in the root of the drive in question, but to create folders, e.g. main folders such as Styles, Registrations, MIDI Songs, User Voices and subfolders if necessary.

Best regards,
Chris
« Last Edit: July 25, 2023, 11:38:23 AM by overover »
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.
➪ Never put the manual too far away: There's more in it than you think! ;-)

Offline Newman 3

« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2023, 11:06:12 PM »
Thanks overover,
I really appreciate your help.

Regards,
Chris