Author Topic: Sound quality of different models  (Read 1125 times)

Offline rattley

Sound quality of different models
« on: July 23, 2023, 03:09:13 AM »
Greetings!

In another post I wrote about Yamaha's upgrading older styles for newer keyboards. I think one of the reasons these older styles sound so good on my Genos is because Genos has the best and newest sound engine. Genos also has more quality SA and other voices that can improve the OTS settings. Even older styles using Legacy voices sound better played on the newest keyboards as opposed to older models.  That improvement in sound quality is the main reason I upgrade to newer boards. All the additional bells and whistles aren't enough without an improvement in sound quality. I must say........Yamaha hasn't disappointed  -charley yet!

Re: Sound quality of different models
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2023, 08:09:08 AM »
I also find Genos sound quality is better than Tyros range but it is my taste. In the other hand, I hope Genos 2 will introduce new bigger samples with new technologies. For example, somewhat random, style-dependent sound nuances, with a little artificial intelligence.

Offline J. Larry

« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2023, 09:31:57 PM »
If a successor to the Genos appears, It will be interesting to read everyone’s take as to any improved features and sound quality----and whether the several years’ wait and (new) price was worth the results.

Offline Amwilburn

« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2023, 09:50:28 PM »
Yes, the Genos has newer, better sounding samples over the T5, but also contains all the samples of the T5 as well.

This means, removing DSP's and the Genos' 32 bit DAC from the equation, older styles (and midis) will sound exactly the same on the Genos because they're still using the old voices...
the reverse is not true, though! Until you go in, and actually utilize the newer, better voices; on both midis and styles, switching to the new drums (esp the Revo ones) produces an immediately noticeable difference.

There exceptions, however: the previous pre Tyros era kb's used styles dependent on an older drum sample library which no longer exists in the post Tyros era (with the exception of 1 of those kits being in the PSR340 retro download pack) and remapping styles from those keyboards (PSR8000, 9000, 740, 640, CVP209, CVP109, PSR2000/2100) onto the post Tyros era keyboards, the beats will sound significantly 'weaker' and thinner. (the old drums were fat and heavy, but also a lower resolution, and very, very short samples. Think Roland TD6 or from the late 90's or Alesis drum machine from the 80's if you don't have access to the retro drum). PJD actually put an audio clip up of what those old drums sounded like.

That is the one situation where putting the old styles on the newer keyboards sounds worse, particularly on the T1/PSR3000/CVP309 era instruments.
Mark

Offline pjd

« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2023, 05:55:29 PM »

Yamaha does spiff up styles from the previous generation especially when they release a new flagship.

Example: Genos supports new compression DSP effects and a larger number of insert effects to be spread around style and song channels. Many Genos styles make extensive use of the new compression effect types (contemporary styles, in particular).

I expect to see the same practice going forward...

All the best -- pj