Author Topic: [DIGITAL OUT] jack question  (Read 1058 times)

[DIGITAL OUT] jack question
« on: July 21, 2023, 07:06:48 PM »
Hi team,

I would like to send a fixed level signal from my Genos to the main mixer of our band. The only way I see it can be done is with the [DIGITAL OUT] jack. This would involve buying an expensive cable. I'm not even sure it would work. I could sub-mix my Genos through my SoundCraft mixer but that's another piece of gear and many cables to set up 👎. There's also the Sub 3 and Sub 4 Outs but wouldn't that involve re-mapping all my registrations?

Is there a better way to do it? Thanks.
"Learn" your music correctly, then "practice" it. Don't practice mistakes because you'll learn them.

Offline pjd

Re: [DIGITAL OUT] jack question
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2023, 11:31:11 PM »
I would like to send a fixed level signal from my Genos to the main mixer of our band.
Thanks.

Hi Lee --

I started to think about the connections and so forth. Unfortunately, I got hung up on the phrase "fixed level signal." Perhaps you could say a little more about your goal?

Digital coaxial cables are about the same price as analog audio cables, fortunately. You may hit an extra cost if you need to convert the digital signal to analog audio. Can the band's mixer handle a digital audio input via RCA connector?

Hey, hey, take care -- pj

Offline Amwilburn

« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2023, 12:29:56 AM »
I'm pretty sure that the digital out is an RCA spdif (which actually contains stereo); this is likely *not* a single RCA line-level output.
In which Case Lee's bandmates would need a mixer than can input digital spdif (2 channel) audio. And as far as I know, that only exists on audio interfaces, not live sound mixers.

There *was* a Yamaha AW16 with a 2 channel (I think it was 2?) toslink lightpipe input (some Yamaha CVP's like the CVP309 had a 2 channel tosslink output, for lossless audio). So in theory Lee could get a multichannel recorder with live mixer built in using 2 channel RCA spdif. However, Lee, you'd have to be careful to get one that matches the sample rate of the Genos (44.1kHz?)

Mark

Offline pjd

« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2023, 01:15:44 AM »
I'm pretty sure that the digital out is an RCA spdif (which actually contains stereo); this is likely *not* a single RCA line-level output.

Mark

I agree, Mark. RCA SPDIF is definitely not line level audio. A digital signal such as this should never be sent into an analog audio input!

Due to the data rates involved, the SPDIF signal is sent on a coaxial cable. SPDIF coaxial cables are not very expensive these days.

If the band’s mixer does not have a compatible SPDIF input, the digital signal must be converted to analog audio (right and left). There are stand-alone converters — some inexpensive and some beastly expensive. Parts Express has some typical converters built for HI-FI.

Your point is well taken — care is required when buying and connecting.

Hey, hey, have a good weekend — pj
« Last Edit: July 22, 2023, 01:18:47 AM by pjd »

Offline overover

« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2023, 02:47:09 AM »
Hi team,

I would like to send a fixed level signal from my Genos to the main mixer of our band. The only way I see it can be done is with the [DIGITAL OUT] jack. This would involve buying an expensive cable. I'm not even sure it would work. I could sub-mix my Genos through my SoundCraft mixer but that's another piece of gear and many cables to set up 👎. There's also the Sub 3 and Sub 4 Outs but wouldn't that involve re-mapping all my registrations?

Is there a better way to do it? Thanks.

Hi Lee,

I don't think the whole discussion about the Genos' digital S/PDIF output is necessary here: If you are not using the LINE OUT SUB 3/4 jacks as SUB OUTs (to output individual parts or drum instruments), these jacks can also be configured as AUX OUT L/R. A stereo line signal with a fixed level is then output here, i.e. it is not affected by the master volume control.

Please go to "Menu > Line Out" and make sure that the "Sub 3/4 - AUX" switch (at the top right) is set to the "AUX" position. Close the Line Out display (touch the X icon or press the EXIT button) to save the setting in the System Setup.

Note that this setting can be changed again by Registrations, where other Line Out settings are memorized. If necessary, you could use the FREEZE function to ensure that the Line Out Settings cannot be changed by such Registrations (in the current session).

By the way, I generally recommend not memorizing the Line Out settings in "normal" Registrations. Then you can work with one or more Setup Registrations, which contain the desired Line Out settings, among other things, and you don't have to work with the FREEZE function mentioned.

Best regards,
Chris
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.
➪ Never put the manual too far away: There's more in it than you think! ;-)

« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2023, 04:05:01 AM »
Thanks all for the great contributions!

i didn't understand how the Digital Out works. Thanks to you, I do now. The band's mixer will not accept a digital input signal. After doing some further reading and looking at the Line Out page on my Genos, the Aux 3 and 4 are definitely available. I'll use one of those.

The goal is two fold:
1) Send my Genos signal to one channel in the mixer for the stage monitors. It must be independent of the Volume knob on the Genos. The guys want to set the level and not have it change as I move up and down for rhythm versus solo playing. Aux 3 seems to be well suited for that task.

2) Send a signal to a second mixer channel that goes to the Main speakers only. It will move up and down with my Volume knob. I can achieve this by using the Line Out of my right side Bose Pro 8 speaker. The only issue is, the signal is very hot and will require an attenuator. We can buy a -10dB attenuator for about $40.

Question Could I use the Sub Out 1 for sending the variable level signal? It would need to transmit the Left, R1, R2, and R3 voices. I assume I could configure that in the Line Out page and store it in the Registration? It would be a better solution than using the Line Out of the Bose speaker and save the cost of the attenuator.

Thanks!
"Learn" your music correctly, then "practice" it. Don't practice mistakes because you'll learn them.