Author Topic: Registrations when you change parts !  (Read 599 times)

Offline sugarplumsss

Registrations when you change parts !
« on: July 19, 2023, 03:29:24 PM »
The one big challenge I have not addressed , is the fact that as I “play “a song ( “play” meaning I perform with the drum style - plus all 4 parts-  L and the 3 R hand or R side or R parts ! ) I CHANGE the individual volumes of the parts aka the mix on the fly.
I have had this issue in my mind for a decade - eg. Can I restrict which voices I modify - only R3 ?

The problem is by changing levels - when you would change to another registration - you may be in for a rude unmusical shock. The registration. “ has no idea” of the adjustments you made on each song !

Creating a registration. :Saving the volumes for each part and drum style ,  is a shaky affair for me. Given that I cannot restrain myself from using what used to be called “dynamics “ in the performance . And while dynamics is controlled by your touch, it is also strongly controlled by the mixer settings .

I’m sensitive to the “mix” of all five parts, from song to song.

Plus some drum styles eg bossa nova on 1st variation is much much softer than other variations

Everything I’ve said here points to one challenge. How can I utilize registrations more effectively ?

As it is now, I often just stay with whatever registration I chose at beginning of gig. And make ALL modifications within that registration for the whole gig!
I barely use registration function. Which is too bad

I’ve been wondering if freeze function could somehow - i don’t know how - assist !

If I could commit to at least leaving 1 or 2 or 3 of the 5 parts alone
It would make it easier

But there’s yet another issue-
The fact I don’t play ( what I am used to from my past experience- a STEADY GIG / same bandstand / which permits fine tuning of the mix

By playing less frequently. And in The one big challenge I have not addressed , is the fact that as I “play “a song ( “play” meaning I perform with the drum style - plus all 4 parts-  L and the 3 R hand or R side or R parts ! ) I CHANGE the individual volumes of the parts
I have had this issue in my mind for a decade - eg. Can I restrict which voices I modify - only R3 ?

The problem is by changing levels - when you would change a registration - you may be in for a rude unmusical shock. The registration. “ has no idea” of the adjustments you made on each song !

Creating a registration. :Saving the volumes for each part and drum style ,  is a shaky affair for me. Given that I cannot restrain myself from using what used to be called “dynamics “ in the performance . And while dynamics is controlled by your touch, it is also controlled by the mixer settings .

I’m sensitive to the “mix” of all five parts. -

Plus some drum styles eg bossa nova on 1st variation is much much softer than other variations

Everything I’ve said here points to one challenge. How can I utilize registrations more effectively ?

As it is now, I often just stay with whatever registration I chose at beginning of gig. And make ALL modifications within that registration for the whole gig!
I barely use registration function. Which is too bad

I’ve been wondering if freeze function could somehow - i don’t know how - assist !

If I could commit to at least leaving 1 or 2 or 3 of the 5 parts alone
It would make it easier

But there’s yet another issue-
The fact I don’t play ( what I am used to from my past experience- a steady gig / bandstand / which permits fine tuning of the mix over the course of a steady gig.

By playing less frequently. And in different rooms   I would end up changing the mix to adapt to room
And this flies in the face of all the registrations I might create

I am overwhelmed by this and just gave up on registration - hoping for perhaps small adjustments to make registrations more possible.

Talking about it here seems to help
Thank you rooms   I would end up changing the mix to adapt to room
And this flies in the face of all the registrations I might create

I am overwhelmed by this and just gave up on registration

Talking about it here seems to help
Thank you
I use T4 as a drum machine. Playing my own acmp and bass. MIDI songs are my latest interest. If anyone wishes to share knowledge on MIDI songs let me know.