Author Topic: Strange fault  (Read 3077 times)

Strange fault
« on: July 12, 2023, 05:46:24 PM »
On the tyros 5 dispite using one finger chords the chords play a c bass note on every chord.
The error appears in the midi setting but even after saving the new value once switched off returns to the original.

I have tried a soft reset changed midi setting then saved with no luck

Any ideas ?

Offline EileenL

Re: Strange fault
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2023, 11:03:47 PM »
Check your midi settings They should be set to ALL PARTS.

The following users thanked this post: Whitecolin11

Offline overover

« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2023, 10:54:32 AM »
Hi Whitecolin11,

The actual reason for the behavior described (always Bass note C for all chords played in the Style Control range of the keyboard) is that a MIDI template is selected, where one or more channels are selected for input of the Style Bass note via a MIDI pedal in the "BASS" tab. This is e.g. the case with the "MIDI Pedal 2" template. However, if no MIDI note is received on one of these channels specified here, the Bass note C will always be played, as in your case. Also see the attached screenshot.

The easiest way to fix this "problem" is, as already mentioned by Eileen, to set the standard MIDI template "All Parts". Alternatively, you could also use the "KBD & STYLE" template. These two templates only differ in the way the keyboard parts are sent externally via MIDI (which is irrelevant for normal playing).

So go to "Function > MIDI", select "All Parts" or "KBD & STYLE" and press the EXIT button to close the MIDI display. This is the only way to save the selection made in the System Setup, and the set MIDI template is automatically loaded with every restart.

Hope this helps!

Best regards,
Chris
« Last Edit: July 13, 2023, 11:55:02 AM by overover »
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.
➪ Never put the manual too far away: There's more in it than you think! ;-)

Offline EileenL

« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2023, 03:08:24 PM »
Once set to All Parts it will stay there. Be careful when cleaning or dusting th
es keyboard when it is on as it is quite easy to alter settings and not realize it.
  Also little fingers trying things can have the same effect.

Offline EileenL

« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2023, 03:19:55 PM »
Did you resolve the problem. Its always nice to know.

« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2023, 09:11:53 PM »
sorry Eileen
no when the you turn off the keyboard and turn it back on it goes back to the original setting

Offline EileenL

« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2023, 11:01:57 PM »
The original setting for the midi section would have been All Parts. Have you tried a soft reset.

« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2023, 09:12:06 AM »
yes but im going to go back and follow the instructions again.
most time it user error lol
So i will try when i get back home tues and update you
Kind regards Colin

Offline overover

« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2023, 01:56:58 PM »
yes but im going to go back and follow the instructions again.
most time it user error lol
So i will try when i get back home tues and update you
Kind regards Colin

Hi Colin,

Yes, please read my instructions above carefully again. As I said, it is very important that the MIDI display is explicitly closed so that the selection made is saved in the System Setup, so that the current MIDI template is automatically loaded again after the restart.

To ensure that no setting display is open in the background, I recommend using the "Direct Access > Exit" key combination before restarting.

Best regards,
Chris
« Last Edit: July 16, 2023, 02:00:09 PM by overover »
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.

« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2023, 09:11:16 AM »
Hi Whitecolin11,

The actual reason for the behavior described (always Bass note C for all chords played in the Style Control range of the keyboard) is that a MIDI template is selected, where one or more channels are selected for input of the Style Bass note via a MIDI pedal in the "BASS" tab. This is e.g. the case with the "MIDI Pedal 2" template. However, if no MIDI note is received on one of these channels specified here, the Bass note C will always be played, as in your case. Also see the attached screenshot.

The easiest way to fix this "problem" is, as already mentioned by Eileen, to set the standard MIDI template "All Parts". Alternatively, you could also use the "KBD & STYLE" template. These two templates only differ in the way the keyboard parts are sent externally via MIDI (which is irrelevant for normal playing).

So go to "Function > MIDI", select "All Parts" or "KBD & STYLE" and press the EXIT button to close the MIDI display. This is the only way to save the selection made in the System Setup, and the set MIDI template is automatically loaded with every restart.

Hope this helps!

Best regards,
Chris

Thanks Chris will try today however the diagram you put up i cant find on my manual only goes to page 128 how do i access this

regards colin

Edit 2023-07-18 by overover: Response text moved from quoted text by adding a missing [/quote⁣] tag
« Last Edit: July 18, 2023, 10:09:53 AM by overover »

Offline overover

« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2023, 10:20:08 AM »
Thanks Chris will try today however the diagram you put up i cant find on my manual only goes to page 128 how do i access this

regards colin

Hi Colin,

The MIDI Settings are not described in the included Owner's Manual but in the Reference Manual available on the Yamaha website. So please download the Tyros5 Reference Manual (and preferably also the Tyros5 Data List) here:
>>> https://uk.yamaha.com/en/products/musical_instruments/keyboards/arranger_workstations/tyros5/downloads.html

Best regards,
Chris

« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2023, 12:50:13 PM »
Thank you to you both your solution worked.
Now i thinking that maybe a registration has a rogue setup and this is what caused the initial problem
regards Colin

Offline overover

« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2023, 02:34:45 PM »
Thank you to you both your solution worked.
Now i thinking that maybe a registration has a rogue setup and this is what caused the initial problem
regards Colin

Hi Colin,

The MIDI Settings cannot be changed by Registrations (but only manually in the MIDI display). Therefore a Registration cannot be the "problem".

Best regards,
Chris